C&RT council elections

Ian Mac

Featured Posts

Well I have to say I'm a little disappointed, but that may be because I have failed to use the correct search.  I have failed to find anything to help me sort out the candidates for the boaters reps on council. I though there would have been some opinions expressed by now, somewhere on this forum, of how to make sense of the 24 people who have put themselves forwards.  Even if it is this lot, support this faction  or please help us get our people on the council.
Given that its a STV system being used, I would like to do a little more than just pick those I know by name. I would like to know a bit more that the 200 words they are allowed as a manifesto.

PS if your a registered C&RT volunteer please don't forget to make me your number one candidate. - Thanks.
Why support me - because I think that by the council selecting to appoint this new chair, who gets that boats are the most important thing, it is really starting to alter how the trust behaves. We will not loose all the blue green stuff, but as David Orr says boats are the thing which create the magic.

45 minutes ago, Ian Mac said:

Well I have to say I'm a little disappointed, but that may be because I have failed to use the correct search.  I have failed to find anything to help me sort out the candidates for the boaters reps on council. I though there would have been some opinions expressed by now, somewhere on this forum, of how to make sense of the 24 people who have put themselves forwards.  Even if it is this lot, support this faction  or please help us get our people on the council.
Given that its a STV system being used, I would like to do a little more than just pick those I know by name. I would like to know a bit more that the 200 words they are allowed as a manifesto.

PS if your a registered C&RT volunteer please don't forget to make me your number one candidate. - Thanks.
Why support me - because I think that by the council selecting to appoint this new chair, who gets that boats are the most important thing, it is really starting to alter how the trust behaves. We will not loose all the blue green stuff, but as David Orr says boats are the thing which create the magic.

I guess that those that are aware wonder why they should bother.

Can Council hold the Board of Trustees to account when its chair is also chair of Trustees?

7 hours ago, agg221 said:

I have looked at the topic, but am not aware of what it is referring to. Should I be?

Alec

As a license holder you should have received details of the C&RT council elections, if you also volunteer you would have received the volunteer candidates to vote for them as well.

2 hours ago, Rob-M said:

As a license holder you should have received details of the C&RT council elections, if you also volunteer you would have received the volunteer candidates to vote for them as well.

I'm not sure that any individual is invited to vote in more than one 'constituency'.  

26 minutes ago, Lady M said:

I'm not sure that any individual is invited to vote in more than one 'constituency'.  

I've had both the license holder nominations and the volunteer nominations and able to vote on both.  Different candidates in each one.

Interesting, thank you.  I recall that, in the past, there were some issues with the business or private boater constitutencies.  This affected people who rented canalside property from CRT but also had privately licensed boats, who were categorised as business boaters when their preferred candidate was often in the private boater category.  Hopefully they too can now vote in both constituencies.

4 hours ago, Rob-M said:

Nope. Neither my wife or I has received anything.

Alec

On 31/12/2023 at 00:10, Allan(nb Albert) said:

The number of people bothering to look at this topic says it all ..

The number of candidates posting on this forum says even more.

20 hours ago, Tonka said:

One of them has to have an R on her right boot

Unfortunately it’s worse, it appears to be her left boot but it indicates the right side of it so it doesn’t go on the wrong way round presumably? 

After so many years of awareness that alphabetical position affects choice (think of A to A A2B and all the other  taxi listings ) it’s a surprise that candidates are listed in alphabetical not random order as they should be. 

Especially when run by an election service. 

51 minutes ago, Stroudwater1 said:

Unfortunately it’s worse, it appears to be her left boot but it indicates the right side of it so it doesn’t go on the wrong way round presumably? 

After so many years of awareness that alphabetical position affects choice (think of A to A A2B and all the other  taxi listings ) it’s a surprise that candidates are listed in alphabetical not random order as they should be. 

Allphabetical order just makes things easier to find. Any order of things affects choice if you're daft enough to think the first one you see makes any difference. With alpha, the names aren't random but the characters and aims of the people are. Any other order could be accused of bias.

Alphabetical listing is biased Arthur, the taxi firms found that out years ago. Why else would they almost all have top of the alphabet names in days of telephone number listings? 

The candidate listing and same voting order should be in random order, selected randomly. That’s the only fair way to run an election. No bias. 

Numbers of votes per candidate will show folk generally give up the ghost after getting halfway down a long list. For sure some diligently look through a list, but it’s a less common behaviour mostly voting for the first half of the list. 

2 hours ago, Stroudwater1 said:

But it is on her right leg.  Are you seeing something that I am not

On 31/12/2023 at 10:27, Lady M said:

There are no restrictions on that, it would be perfectly legal assuming you meet the qualification criteria  for you to vote in all of the constituencies,  however you would have to be an employee to bag the full set. Oh and only one candidate stood for the fishing constituency, so he has been elected by default.
I do know of people who have the right to vote for boaters, volunteers, friends & Business Boat.

5 hours ago, Stroudwater1 said:

Alphabetical listing is biased Arthur, the taxi firms found that out years ago. Why else would they almost all have top of the alphabet names in days of telephone number listings? 

The candidate listing and same voting order should be in random order, selected randomly. That’s the only fair way to run an election. No bias. 

Numbers of votes per candidate will show folk generally give up the ghost after getting halfway down a long list. For sure some diligently look through a list, but it’s a less common behaviour mostly voting for the first half of the list. 

But any list is going to be subject to the (probably justified ) accusation of deliberate bias by the person drawing up the list, as they will obviously put their favourite candidates at the top - as you rightly say, they get the most attention. At least alpha order imposes an external, unbiased system to the list, and one where, if you want to vote for a specific candidate, or find out more about them, at least you can find their info.

Would you really believe in a "random order" list issued by CRT or, let's say, NBTA?

On 31/12/2023 at 12:57, Lady M said:

Does CRT have an email address for you?

Yep. Checked with a friend we stayed with over New Year (also a licence holder). He has received nothing either.

Alec