KELPIE and Christmas

haggis

Featured Posts

Just back from our meal and it was very good. Good atmosphere in the pub and not just the usual pub menu.  We'll stop here again.  It  started to rain as we went out and it must have been really heavy as the towpath which was just muddy before is now covered in big muddy puddles. Still the wind has dropped. 

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

It rained very heavy here at Clumber Park last night. Not helped that we are parked under trees which made it sound worse!

Think it will be a muddy dog walk this morning 😀

I think we have had several muddy fog walks every day so far 😀 . Four muddy feed and four muddy paws do not make a clean boat!

3 hours ago, haggis said:

I think we have had several muddy fog walks every day so far 😀 . Four muddy feed and four muddy paws do not make a clean boat!

We always used the transom shower on NC to wash the dog off.

Got a Mud Daddy on the van we usually use. The site here has a dog wash though so used that instead today. 

Cream alcantara and muddy dogs are not a great combination 🙈

I have a mud daddy at home ( seldom used) but we just accept muddy feet when boating in this weather. The floor will wash and the mats will hoover or we can take them home and wash them.

Got coak and kindling at High Onns, thanks for the suggestion, Glen.

• Greenie 1

Another damp day! After getting coal and kindling we didn't need to stop in Newbury so we pressed on to the Anchor- and as  it was open we moored up and went in for a pint. Lovely to sit at the fire and chat. It is open later tonight so we might just find our way back .

• Greenie 1
  • Love 2

I have lost track of what day of our trip we are on 

Chickened out of going back to the Anchor last night as it started to rain and I didn't feel like ploughing through more mud in my wellies. 

A good day today !! The sun shone for most of the day and we didn't see rain till just after we moored in Market Drayton. Met two boats in Woodseaves cutting and two on Tyrley locks. Probably the most moving boats we have seen in a day. 

Oh, I nearly forgot ! A Happy New Year everyone!!

On 31/12/2023 at 15:31, haggis said:

Another damp day! After getting coal and kindling we didn't need to stop in Newbury so we pressed on to the Anchor- and as  it was open we moored up and went in for a pint. Lovely to sit at the fire and chat. It is open later tonight so we might just find our way back .

2 hours ago, haggis said:

Chickened out of going back to the Anchor last night as it started to rain and I didn't feel like ploughing through more mud in my wellies. 

A good day today !! The sun shone for most of the day and we didn't see rain till just after we moored in Market Drayton. Met two boats in Woodseaves cutting and two on Tyrley locks. Probably the most moving boats we have seen in a day. 

Blimey! Newbury to Market Drayton by narrowboat in a day, you must have been flying 😁

Sorry, couldn't resist ... Happy New Year and safe onwards travel

Edited by PCSB
  • Greenie 1

2 hours ago, haggis said:

We have seen loads of boats today, probably more than the rest of the trip put together

• Greenie 1

37 minutes ago, PCSB said:

Blimey! Newbury to Market Drayton by narrowboat in a day, you must have been flying 😁

Sorry, couldn't resist ... Happy New Year and safe onwards travel

Ah, you spotted the error 😀. So many of the names down here are similar and I have no idea where Newbury is ! You must make allowances for the inhabitants of Haggis land 😀

Heavy rain here again tonight but at least we had a dry days boating. 

8 minutes ago, haggis said:

Ah, you spotted the error 😀. So many of the names down here are similar and I have no idea where Newbury is ! You must make allowances for the inhabitants of Haggis land 😀

Heavy rain here again tonight but at least we had a dry days boating. 

Many, many moons ago I used to work in Newbury for a well known mobile phone company. The K&A runs through Newbury so it is a long way away - it was really rather nice back then, no idea now.

Just started raining here too, had lovely sunshine for most of the day so can't grumble, well I can but no one listens 😄

• Greenie 1

A very wet morning and the forecast is for rain all day ( if we move we have 17 locks to do ). Fire lit and we may not move. I think this must go down as the wettest muddiest canal holiday we have ever had but we are enjoying it nevertheless.

13 minutes ago, haggis said:

A very wet morning and the forecast is for rain all day ( if we move we have 17 locks to do ). Fire lit and we may not move. I think this must go down as the wettest muddiest canal holiday we have ever had but we are enjoying it nevertheless.

Just started raining heavy here and forecast to stay that way for the rest of the day. 

Just taken the dog for his dinnertime walk a bit early to save us both getting too wet.

Glad we don't have anything to do or anywhere to be today. Just a chilled day at home before heading back to work tomorrow. 

Got the van scrubbed out this morning after a muddy four night break. Somehow we didn't get it too fouled up. Just got the bedding to put back on.

Now we need some dry weather in the next few weeks please 🙏 

• Greenie 1

27 minutes ago, haggis said:

I can quite understand the decision not to move - equally unpleasant here (and we haven't even made it to the boat yet!)

If you do get a break in the weather and decide to move on a bit then the moorings at the top of Adderley, the top of Audlem and at Cox Bank two locks down Audlem are all very pleasant. We quite often use one of the latter two if we get to the boat on a Friday evening with enough time to set off somewhere, as it breaks up the flights a bit. It is also a fairly easy walk down from Cox Bank to Audlem of the pub beckons!

Alec

Edited by agg221
  • Greenie 1

4 hours ago, haggis said:

We had about 15 minutes of weak sun and no rain just after 1pm. It was fine at 3am when I went for my nightly wee, the moon was up and the canal flat calm 

4 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Just started raining heavy here and forecast to stay that way for the rest of the day. 

Just taken the dog for his dinnertime walk a bit early to save us both getting too wet.

Glad we don't have anything to do or anywhere to be today. Just a chilled day at home before heading back to work tomorrow. 

Got the van scrubbed out this morning after a muddy four night break. Somehow we didn't get it too fouled up. Just got the bedding to put back on.

Now we need some dry weather in the next few weeks please 🙏 

been travelling since 10am on train from the south coast and I don’t remember ever seeing so much flooding across the country, all fields seem to have at least some partial flooding. 
Trains cancelled and delayed at Euston, then cancelled again at Northampton. 
after catching an alternative train from Euston because of cancellation, we were all chucked off at Northampton. Catch train back to Milton Keynes, to get another to Sunny Rugely. 

I just want a pint!

8 minutes ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

been travelling since 10am on train from the south coast and I don’t remember ever seeing so much flooding across the country, all fields seem to have at least some partial flooding. 
Trains cancelled and delayed at Euston, then cancelled again at Northampton. 
after catching an alternative train from Euston because of cancellation, we were all chucked off at Northampton. Catch train back to Milton Keynes, to get another to Sunny Rugely. 

I just want a pint!

I feel for you, Glenn and I agree about al the surface water in fields. We haven't moved the boat  today and have chickened out about going out to eat. The survival rations are getting low 😀

17 minutes ago, haggis said:

I feel for you, Glenn and I agree about al the surface water in fields. We haven't moved the boat  today and have chickened out about going out to eat. The survival rations are getting low 😀

The wind has really picked up now

18 minutes ago, haggis said:

now I’m on the wrong train!!!

don’t stop at Rugely, goes to Crew ffs. 
aaarrghh