Wood burning and health

IanD

Featured Posts

Is it really acceptable in a modern society to have this invasive and detrimental disease in our midst not to mention how much land is given over to these monsters. 

Do we really want this to be happening ? 

Ban cars. 

Just now, MJG said:

Er..,

Certain big dog breeds are indeed banned.

Yes I noticed. The shrine for Marshall and Millions (dogs killed by police on Limehouse cut towpath) is exactly opposite one of my Boats. 

Lots of people have come from all over the world to pay tribute its like a member of the royal family died. Canal full of laminated love letters to dangerous dogs and bridge covered with romantic padlocks. 

27 minutes ago, Tonka said:

But we still allow smoking and vaping and that kills 

As far as I know, the health damage caused by vaping hasn't been established.   Do you have any more up to date information?  Having a brother who vapes I would be pleased to know.

Just now, magnetman said:

So getting a stove DEFRA approved is a free process then.

DEFRA approved stoves burning wood don't emit (much) smoke but do emit lots and *lots* of PM2.5 particles.

The approval regulations were set before this was known.

A ban on woodburning will affect all stoves, DEFRA approved or not.

37 minutes ago, magnetman said:

The lead in petrol thing was a short term solution for engine parts lubrication (valves?) then it was found that it is dodgy so an alternative was introduced. 

If no one has picked this up since you wrote it, then I think that you are wrong. Tetra Ethyl Lead was put in petrol to increase its octane rating. This allowed the use of lower octane base petrol so cheaper for the fuel companies and also the car manufacturers to use higher compression ratios, so higher performance/lower fuel consumption. It was then found that softer valves and valve seats could be used, so another saving for manufacturers.

• Greenie 1

Maybe thats why they are not banned then.

I find it incredibly unlikely that people in nice big houses in London will accept a ban on wood burning.

Will it extend to Mayfair?

Just now, Tony Brooks said:

If no one has picked this up since you wrote it, then I think that you are wrong. Tetra Ethyl Lead was put in petrol to increase its octane rating. This allowed the use of lower octane base petrol so cheaper for the fuel companies and also the car manufacturers to use higher compression ratios, so higher performance/lower fuel consumption. It was then found that softer valves and valve seats could be used, so another saving for manufacturers.

Thanks for that Tony. Without my incorrect statement I would never have known this !

2 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Maybe thats why they are not banned then.

I find it incredibly unlikely that people in nice big houses in London will accept a ban on wood burning.

Will it extend to Mayfair?

The existing government is under pressure to reduce pollution from multiple sides, but since their mates live in Mayfair they may be reluctant to bring in a ban.

The next government, not so much... 😉

Just now, Jon57 said:

Well having read a few pages of this thread I though I would go for a bit of light refreshment. Boy do I feel better and healthy. Better enjoy it before it's just a memory or before I fall of my perch from the pollution. 

IMG_20231217_144256.jpg

IMG_20231217_145447.jpg

39 minutes ago, Jerra said:

As far as I know, the health damage caused by vaping hasn't been established.   Do you have any more up to date information?  Having a brother who vapes I would be pleased to know.

I was speaking with a floating trader who sells Vapes and he was saying that he only deals with British manufuctures. In a lab apparently they analysed some of the Chinese ones and was amazed at what they found. Some of it was not nice

Its quite a big topic in school. My girls are 11 and 13 (going on 25) and the older one in particular often brings up the vape subject. Obviously she is not remotely interested in using any of these things but a lot of the other kids do. Especially the girls and they flush them down the lavatory as not allowed to have them in school. 

I don't know if its a sort of competitive thing, addiction, fashion or what but it all seems a bit unwise to me. I'd rather be breathing other people's wood smoke in open air than sticking a plastic item in my gob and sucking in some weird chemicals.

Inner city slum state school so I suppose there will be all sorts.

Still its alright because as the younger one pointed out they don't generally start stabbing each other until the 7th yar and the kids are still alive so we're getting somewhere!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Its quite a big topic in school. My girls are 11 and 13 (going on 25) and the older one in particular often brings up the vape subject. Obviously she is not remotely interested in using any of these things but a lot of the other kids do. Especially the girls and they flush them down the lavatory as not allowed to have them in school. 

I don't know if its a sort of competitive thing, addiction, fashion or what but it all seems a bit unwise to me. I'd rather be breathing other people's wood smoke in open air than sticking a plastic item in my gob and sucking in some weird chemicals.

Inner city slum state school so I suppose there will be all sorts.

Still its alright because as the younger one pointed out they don't generally start stabbing each other until the 7th yar and the kids are still alive so we're getting somewhere!

Death rates from smoking in London : 11000 per year

Estimated death rates from PM2.5 emissions : <300 per year

Number of deaths attributed to vaping since 2010 : 5 UK-wide ==> about 1 in London ==> <0.1 per year

32 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Obvious solution is to ban people from living in London...

I only quoted the London numbers because they're available for PM2.5 emissions. Some of us actually prefer to live here... 😉