Is there such thing as a narrow boat/canal boat AirBNB?

Cody

Featured Posts

On 13/12/2023 at 08:19, Sue68 said:

I missed that there is an example of someone succeeding.

We certainly insured our boat with just our NZ address with Haven Knox Johnson 10 yeara ago. Took while to find someone, because of obligations under FMA? 

We never had a claim in 5years so cannot comment on performance except they were prompt in reimbursing refund for unexpired portion when we sold.

8 hours ago, DandV said:

We certainly insured our boat with just our NZ address with Haven Knox Johnson 10 yeara ago.

The huge changes in boat insurance were introduced by Lloyds in 2021, which is when they issued a whole raft of new 'rules' to their syndicates and brokers.

Lloyds had made enormous losses following unusually large maritime and storm claims and were losing money.

I had a copy of the Lloyds letter from my Broker explaining that the prices being quoted, and the risks being covered made the industry unsustainable, and that each broker would have to submit a business plan to Lloyds for approval before they could trade.

Several providers have their 'licence to trade' revoked.

Extract of the Lloyds letter  to brokers :

"For the first time in over 200 years in the history of Lloyds, special measure have been imposed demanding that all Syndicates writing Yacht insurance submit a sustainable business plan, in the absence of which they would be precluded from writing this class of business. This is because the market has spiralled down to a fundamentally unsustainable level of rates resulting in consistent attritional underwriting losses compounded by catastrophic (storm) claims. ........................................

............................. we continue to write yacht business but we are now instructed to increase rates. All insurers are following suit except those who are now precluded from writing yacht insurance ...............................

I seem to remember it was around this time that some of our oveseas based forum members were reporting great difficulty in getting cover without a UK address.

Edit to add : A thread from 2022

Edited by Alan de Enfield

10 hours ago, DandV said:

We certainly insured our boat with just our NZ address with Haven Knox Johnson 10 yeara ago. Took while to find someone, because of obligations under FMA? 

We never had a claim in 5years so cannot comment on performance except they were prompt in reimbursing refund for unexpired portion when we sold.

I have a friend who is Greek, his wife Dutch and they don't live in the UK unless  on their boat. The only people they could find were Haven Knox Johnson but in Northern Ireland so in the EU.

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

I did not say that the insurance was impossible to get.

Quoting the obvious (again) - anyone reading that would see that fact.

No, you did your usual thing of posting a massive chunk of unhelpful information while not actually helping answer the question -- apart from the equivalent of "it's in a footnote on the bottom of P.57"... 😉

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, IanD said:

No, you did your usual thing of posting a massive chunk of unhelpful information while not actually helping answer the question -- apart from the equivalent of "it's in a footnote on the bottom of P.57"... 😉

I have so many times been called to justify a comment - you being one of the most active in doing so.

So when anyone posts a 'fact' (as they see it) but you see it as an opinion, why do you not just accept it instead of asking for proof ?

To shorten the process in which I could just have said "Lloyds moved the goalposts in 2021, and several forumites posted about the difficulties of getting insurance in 2022", and you say what evidence do you have of that ? I posted what I did.

Much as the way you state that an electric boat uses X Kw per hour or per day or whatever, you then use 'reams' of scans and documents and previous reports, previous threads, cut-and-paste power curves, motor demands, battery capacity etc etc etc.

But - I forgot - its one 'rule for you' and one for everyone else.

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I have so many times been called to justify a comment - you being one of the most active in doing so.

So when anyone posts a 'fact' (as they see it) but you see it as an opinion, why do you not just accept it instead of asking for proof ?

To shorten the process in which I could just have said "Lloyds moved the goalposts in 2021, and several forumites posted about the difficulties of getting insurance in 2022", and you say what evidence do you have of that ? I posted what I did.

Much as the way you state that an electric boat uses X Kw per hour or per day or whatever, you then use 'reams' of scans and documents and previous reports, previous threads, cut-and-paste power curves, motor demands, battery capacity etc etc etc.

But - I forgot - its one 'rule for you' and one for everyone else.

At least I usually try and give helpful replies instead of posting reams of legal or other types of irrelevant information which look impressive but don't help... 😉

Instead of the big chunk about Lloyds and then adding a link to a long CWDF thread about insurance -- where the useful information was hidden towards the end after lots of "I can't get insurance" posts, which many people wouldn't read past -- you could have done I what I did and posted the actually useful nugget of information about who *could* provide insurance, don't you think?

1 hour ago, IanD said:

I wonder how many of those are properly equipped and licensed and insured for rental?

I'd say definitely not the first one. This is on a CRT leisure mooring with no parking except a muddy layby on the main road. I can't imagine it having a business licence!

2 hours ago, MtB said:

I'd say definitely not the first one. This is on a CRT leisure mooring with no parking except a muddy layby on the main road. I can't imagine it having a business licence!

There are loads more but I thought you would all be as bored as me with them.

3 hours ago, MtB said:

So if they don't have a valid CART license (and maybe not BSS either since the hire requirements are stricter) or valid insurance (because hiring is specifically excluded by most (all?) policies), who carries the can if something goes wrong? I guess all concerned (except the owner) will say "not my problem, guv"... 😞

29 minutes ago, Cody said:

Would really appreciate it if you could post some that's specifically in the Birmingham area...

Would you hire a car with no insurance cover and that has not been checked regularly (annually) to confirm that there isnt a fuel (gas) leak, and that it is safe to hire ?

Edited by Alan de Enfield

32 minutes ago, Cody said:

Would really appreciate it if you could post some that's specifically in the Birmingham area...

Why? I thought you said that you wanted a skipper, and that is not what AirBnB seem to offer.

You have been warned about the hidden implications of going via AirBnB rather than a proper hire fleet. You can google and sort through the results as well as anyone, so why do you expect others to do the work for you, especially as they may be implicit in "law" breaking and letting you in for paying many thousands of pounds compensation. Sorry, but I am not wasting my tome spoon-feeding you.

You have already been told to look at Alvechurch Boat Centre, a short train ride to a station adjacent to the hire base from central Birmingham.

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Would you hire a car with no insurance cover and that has not been checked regularly (annually) to confirm that there isnt a fuel (gas) leak, and that it is safe to hire ?

Apparently the answer is yes, it seems another who ignore what he does not want to be told.

Edited by Tony Brooks
  • Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Not only does the OP want to travel, he wants a skipper to 'drive the boat' for him, but he (?) did say he'd maybe help out with the locks.

Which is why I suggested https://www.narrowboatellis.com/ some time back, its the only one I know

• Greenie 1