Rubbing posts/strips on the Shroppie Bridges

Featured Posts

😃 no I didn’t mean to suggest they were all for show,

but there are a few that seem to not ring true, 

and it’s those that I thought may be cast from the originals and in the process someone got carried away putting in a few extra deep cuts for effect,

I don’t think it helps at all that they’ve been painted.

Makes ‘em look odd. 
I guess that’s down to an enthusiastic society caring for them. 

8 minutes ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

😃 no I didn’t mean to suggest they were all for show,

but there are a few that seem to not ring true, 

and it’s those that I thought may be cast from the originals and in the process someone got carried away putting in a few extra deep cuts for effect,

I don’t think it helps at all that they’ve been painted.

Makes ‘em look odd. 
I guess that’s down to an enthusiastic society caring for them. 

As I said earlier on yes I think some of these are non original. 

I do believe in horse boats but am a dinosaur sceptic. 

if you look at the picture kindly provided by a previous poster it is interesting to note there are wear marks on the tapered part at the top.

One could suggest that a loaded rope might tend to slide orf this part.

IMG_20231206_100400.jpg.d70902be53e45d48041d37f673cf25b2.jpg

This one looks quite good because there seems to be matching damage to the stonework. 

But... The angle of the grooves cut does not seem to coincide with the load which would be needed presumably due to the animal going further in to the towpath after the bridgehole. 

I wonder if these were worn by give way boats which slowed down then needed extra haulage to get going again.

Reminds me of the fork biscuits my mum used to make 

fe759cf5bd6adb576c48459103269bbb.jpg

Perhaps these items were originally cast with grooves already in them to reduce the chances of the rope wandering up and damaging the stone work. 

I once had a forged iron version of one of these with the magnet and the rope grooves were much shallower (southern GU) but did look real. 

• Happy 1

I don't think these metal bridge protectors are the original ones. There are far too many grooves on them and the grooves are far too deep. Any genuine plates I have seen have most of the wear in just a couple of places and the wear tends to be wider with a deeper bit at the middle. This would be caused by ropes moving up or down as the horse pulled the boat. They are all so well painted too and if they were originals they would show bits where rust had started. I think it unlikely that they were painted in horse drawn boat day. My vote is on replacements to make the canal look as it used to be.  

• Greenie 2

Also worth considering the costs of casting v the cost of a blacksmith making such a disposable item.

I think it would be a blacksmith in those days and the only one I ever found with the magnet was forged wrought iron. 

17 minutes ago, magnetman said:

IMG_20231206_100400.jpg.d70902be53e45d48041d37f673cf25b2.jpg

This one looks quite good because there seems to be matching damage to the stonework. 

But... The angle of the grooves cut does not seem to coincide with the load which would be needed presumably due to the animal going further in to the towpath after the bridgehole. 

those 3 little grooves together are so thin yet deep,

and…and…yes… and they’re all so neatly parallel.   

3 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Also worth considering the costs of casting v the cost of a blacksmith making such a disposable item.

I think it would be a blacksmith in those days and the only one I ever found with the magnet was forged wrought iron. 

if you ever visit Bradley Workshops you’ll see all the wooden patterns for lock paddles and what not from BW days and before. 

1 minute ago, magnetman said:

It is those three which I think people on the Shroppie need to look out for. No way would this happen on more than one bridge guard unless they were originally made like that. 

yes, I’m gonna get some anorak mates together and go looking 

2 minutes ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

yes, I’m gonna get some anorak mates together and go looking 

Can you get some drone flyunder footage to make it all more exciting ? 

Keep up the traditions of the RAF boys. 

I have yet to be convinced that they are mass produced with grooves in them. I travel the Shroppie quite a lot during the course of a year and have never found two the same. Maybe some enterprising person could take a clear photo of each bridge as they pass them. Will consider that myself next year as I will do the length of the Shroppie from Barbridge to Autherley several times.

No way are they modern 'fakes'. Nobody would have thought to do such a thing before the 1970s or 80s, and if they had been done more recently it would be well documented. The only possibility is that some unused castings (or perhaps ones recovered from demolished bridges) might have been found in the back of a depot somewhere and installed in suitable locations.

My guess is that they do not date back to the canal's construction, but were added at a later date when rope wear to the original stonework was becoming an issue, and a decision was made to fit cast iron guards to all (? - or most) SU bridges. This would have been during the peak horse-drawn years, before the railways had too much impact on trade (and before motor boats rendered them unnecessary) so perhaps 3rd quarter of the 19th century?

Edited by David Mack

If we accept they’re genuine, (which they most likely are), there’s been no offer of an explanation so far, other my guess work earlier in the thread, why this set of guards on the lower Shroppie are so well used/worn in comparison to others on the system. 

Edited by beerbeerbeerbeerbeer

6 hours ago, Creaking Gate said:

Recast, then grooves added and then fixed? There is next to no chance that ever happened.  They simply would not be removed at all, whatever condition they were in. 

To be fair there would be no need for the grooves to be added because the original used to make the mould would already have the grooves in it. 

A potential reason for the original items being removed could be because they were cut in half and became useless.