Why did you choose your layout ...

phillarrow

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Apart from being incredibly ugly I would be nervous about pram hoods being a bit vulnerable to damage. Either erected or folded down there seem to be some parts which could be picked up by certain types of vegetation potentially resulting in quite expensive damage.

Maybe it makes me a 'purist' but I find them incredibly aesthetically displeasing. They look horrid. 

Its up to people what they want but I would never want such a contraption on any of my boats. 

As it's not fitted to your boat your opinion to most sensible people who don't particularly care what others think is materless.

Ours folded down readily to avoid damage. We rarely cruised with it up, opting to erect it when moored so we didn't have to do it on the go very often anyway.

Edited by M_JG

35 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Yes - lots of boats have it, and probably as many folks hate it and refuse to have one.

It is called a pram cover and covers the rear deck on cruiser stern boats. It makes an ideal place to sit out and view the countryside, it has a roof (zip out sides) if it is drizzley or hot Sun, it can be zipped up and becomes an extra living space for cool evenings (Conservatory), and acts as a 'mud room' for wet clothes, dirty dogs . wellies etc.

Folded completely down it sits on the rail so you are in the elements when (if) the weather is good.

Every boat should heave one (well we did and found it very useful)

Thanks Alan, I'm not sure why I hadn't thought of this as the utility space. Nice boat by the way!

It's funny what causes such heated divide isn't it (based on the subsequent posts to this one), but I kind of like the passion people feel for how they think things should look. Makes the world a more interesting place...even if it makes internet forums frankly bizarre at times! My personal view is that pram hoods look really nice and enhance the look of the boat, but then I'm definitely not a traditionalist!

My initial research was pointing me towards a semi trad stern (which I still haven't ruled out) but talking with my partner's parents (they lived on a NB for 15 years when they retired), they had the same setup as you - cruiser stern with pram hood. They also had a cratch cover at the bow. They swear by it and have highly recommended it to us. 

I was told when I was little if I ever feel pissed orf just look in a mirror. It works for me ! 

I think it is caused by never using soap. 

i was asked for ID buying beer aged 48 ! I challenged the lad asking pointing out I have some grey facial hair and he said 'my mate who is 17 has a grey beard'. 

Edited by magnetman
  • Happy 1

17 hours ago, phillarrow said:

Thanks folks, some really good food for thought here. I really like the idea of the wet cupboard just inside the stern. I can see that working for us.

DandV, you're absolutely right. However, I decided to ask a more 'open' question in the hope of receiving the widest possible range of answers. My thinking was, if I can hear as much as possible from everyone, not just those whose boats were designed around a similar intended use as ours, then I might find a 'gem', or the total opposite, that I hadn't come across elsewhere in my reading. Not sure if that was the right approach but I've enjoyed the comments so far.

In terms of what we're looking for, the boat is intended to be a live aboard for when we retire. The plan is to use it to CC for at least a decade, possibly even having it taken over to France for some years. We're currently thinking of 57-60 foot, definitely narrowboat, but I've still got plenty of planning to do yet before we settle on a definite length and design.

Now for an admission...we're ten years away from retirement! What can I say, I'm a planner! 😳😳

No it doesn't?! Not in terms of basic layout. I've seen dozens of second hand boats, in dozens of layouts, at hundreds of prices.

Why is it pointless to ask others about their layout decisions and/or omissions?

Mmmmmmmmmmmm taking it over to France for some years ...............the last thing you want for that is a narrowboat, completely wrong boat for the job. Sell and buy a proper boat if you are going over there. One of the reasons we changed boats is that no single boat is right for everything. For instance when we moved to big waterways for a few years we sold the poxy narrowboat and went wide, much much better. Then had to go narrow again moving to the narrow system, boats always sell instantly. ( when priced correctly ) 

Think of it more like a car, a nineteen year old bloke with a girlfriend say has a MX5, great for weekends away with suitcase in boot. That same MX5 is as much use as a chocolate fireguard when he is 29 and married with three kids and all their stuff.

Just now, mrsmelly said:

Mmmmmmmmmmmm taking it over to France for some years ...............the last thing you want for that is a narrowboat, completely wrong boat for the job. Sell and buy a proper boat if you are going over there. One of the reasons we changed boats is that no single boat is right for everything. For instance when we moved to big waterways for a few years we sold the poxy narrowboat and went wide, much much better. Then had to go narrow again moving to the narrow system, boats always sell instantly. ( when priced correctly ) 

Think of it more like a car, a nineteen year old bloke with a girlfriend say has a MX5, great for weekends away with suitcase in boot. That same MX5 is as much use as a chocolate fireguard when he is 29 and married with three kids and all their stuff.

Oh and just to add, planning is useless, how many people did we meet that were " Gonna dos " when they retire but never got there.

22 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Did look like it wanted one. We were up there for winter of 99/00. 

There's a thread about it on here somewhere = lots of objections due to the history of the site.

However I cant find any images of it with the new fence, I wonder if it ever happened in the end??

Edit _ Peter's photo from Sept. this year shows its not ever happened.

https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/topic/105368-tonic-required-send-in-your-photos-of-what-is-nice-on-the-waterways-now/&do=findComment&comment=2984594

Edited by M_JG

31 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Mmmmmmmmmmmm taking it over to France for some years ...............the last thing you want for that is a narrowboat, completely wrong boat for the job. Sell and buy a proper boat if you are going over there. One of the reasons we changed boats is that no single boat is right for everything. For instance when we moved to big waterways for a few years we sold the poxy narrowboat and went wide, much much better.

that’s always been my sentiments,

why go to France in a narrowboat other than novelty value?

people have asked “will you go France in your boat?”
“no, why would I, I’d get a bigger boat!” Ffs. 

narrowboats are made for crawling narrow canals and ditches, and getting through narrow locks. 
there is no practical reason anyone would want to restrict life to a 7’ wide boat. 
not like you can jump up and down on one or swing a cat,
they are totally impractical for living in. 

To live on a narrowboat you either have to be impoverished and poor, have a dedicated interest in travelling a 250 yr system or have a mental illness. Any of these reasons will over ride where the bed is on the boat or whether there’s a soap tray. 

Edited by beerbeerbeerbeerbeer
Remove some repetition
  • Greenie 3
  • Haha 1

Both pram hoods and cratch covers*** are like Marmite -- some people love them, some people hate them. Personally I think both look awful and there are better ways to use the bow/stern spaces, but that's just my opinion. YMMV... 😉

*** and sterns, and engines, and toilets, and heating, and... 🙂

I like the open bow on my boat and spend much of my time there, it’s a great space. And many have commented on it’s loveliness. 
If I could guarantee no rain and no thieving then I’d not have a cratch cover. I think there fugly. 

A pill box or closed end at the front of a modern boat is equally fugly. 

Cratch cover is a pain in the ass, but it’s a compromise. 
I wouldn’t fancy a pram cover at back either but I have seen them put to good use. 

so 🤷‍♀️ who gives a shit really?

35 minutes ago, M_JG said:

There's a thread about it on here somewhere = lots of objections due to the history of the site.

However I cant find any images of it with the new fence, I wonder if it ever happened in the end??

Edit _ Peter's photo from Sept. this year shows its not ever happened.

https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/topic/105368-tonic-required-send-in-your-photos-of-what-is-nice-on-the-waterways-now/&do=findComment&comment=2984594

You may be thinking of Marple which does have a newish fence (barrier really) 

For us nothing beats a boatman’s cabin for breakfast with the sun rising and shining down the canal. Each definitely to their own but a fixed bed really is important. I do like to drop or get dropped off for locks mooring or lift bridges from  the bow so a non exit at the front is not ideal. 

The kitchen/ galley in IanDs boat is nice in that you can make a cuppa in the lock without a long walk through or when traveling or cook and still be able to chat together. 

It’s all a compromise. The heat from a traditional engine is nice in early Autumn and Spring too. 

• Greenie 1

Just now, Stroudwater1 said:

You may be thinking of Marple which does have a newish fence (barrier really) 

Ah yes, I think you are correct. I think Chirk got dragged into the discussion in the thread in question as people asked if Marple needed a fence why doesn't Chirk.

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Oh and just to add, planning is useless, how many people did we meet that were " Gonna dos " when they retire but never got there.

Thanks for that re France. That part of the 'plan' really is in its infancy because I didn't even know it was possible until last week!

I totally get what you're saying in your last sentence, and I'm sure there are plenty who must get fed up with the "gonna dos". I also have no problem with anyone who thinks I should simply sod off and come back in several years. Like everyone, I can't say for certain that my life won't take me on a different turn over the next few years, but I'm really enjoying learning more, doing the research, and drooling over the beautiful boats I'm seeing. In our case, the experience of my partner's parents is also a major factor and she is utterly enthralled in the idea of doing what they did. 

I'm also really grateful to those on here, like yourself, who've taken the time to give genuine advice. I really do hope I get to meet some of you on the cut one day! 

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

I like the open bow on my boat and spend much of my time there, it’s a great space. And many have commented on it’s loveliness. 
If I could guarantee no rain and no thieving then I’d not have a cratch cover. I think there fugly. 

A pill box or closed end at the front of a modern boat is equally fugly. 

Cratch cover is a pain in the ass, but it’s a compromise. 
I wouldn’t fancy a pram cover at back either but I have seen them put to good use. ?

Yeah but there are cratch covers and cratch covers. There are some seriously fugly ones on some of the boats in our marina. We think ours works cos it's level with the roof, not raised up in the middle, so it nicely follows the line of the roof, unlike the ones that are six inches higher in the middle and look like someone just stuck it on as an afterthought.

Personally speaking I agree and think pram covers are the work of satan. I wouldn't have one. Ever. But I totally understand why people do for the space. Their boat, they can do what works for them.

And I agree about the stove, I've literally just fitted ours a few weeks ago, back of the saloon just forward of the galley so it heats the whole of the boat. It was the one thing missing then we bought the boat a few years ago (yes I know there's no flue fitted yet, am I ever regretting that with the last couple of days weather...)

PXL_20231201_181849871_copy_1536x2040.thumb.jpg.d7502e8b897278269f7f29b8ff9e4ab0.jpg