Loss of foreward thrust from BMC engine

Amh300

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

Ain’t it weird how sometimes little things will upset the prop, not just the heavy stuff. 

I follow Dmr’s rule: don’t go down til you definitely have to 😂

anyway it don’t matter what time of year it is or where you are the water rarely seems to be in your favour. 
Always a matter of finding the sweet spot with speed to make the most of what you got when in a ditch. 

There's wisdom for you :)

I've learned a lot today. Thank you. And now it seems I am an "engager" on this forum. So not a total loss 😇

• Happy 1

12 minutes ago, Amh300 said:

There's wisdom for you :)

I've learned a lot today. Thank you. And now it seems I am an "engager" on this forum. So not a total loss 😇

it’s a very good forum,

just ignore those of us getting arsey with each other,

lots to learn here,

I particular like all the history photos and I’ve learned a fair bit from them today,

but in general boating’s pretty simple when poodling along and taking it steady. 

There are occasions when reversing the drive will not throw off vegetation. You can accumulate light twig material, which will form a ball behind the prop and kill your drive. A visit down the weed hatch will be necessary. There can also be an accumulation of leaf litter in locks this time of year, and you may sometimes struggle to get any forward motion. 

• Greenie 1

17 hours ago, bizzard said:

Folk need to be careful stopping the boat too. leaves can destroy prop thrust when in reverse gear as well. Go dead slow when approaching lock gates for example.

In this case leaves aren't as bad as half a dustbinful of reeds and their roots wrapped round the prop so the engine stops dead. DAMHIK... 😞

(but at least the gates were open so we drifted into the lock, then spent a happy hour down the weedhatch with a folding pruning saw...)

6 minutes ago, magnetman said:

The worst thing is when one gets the wrong sort of leaves. 

Then it gets really serious. 

Especially if a tea leaf steals your prop.

2 hours ago, IanD said:

In this case leaves aren't as bad as half a dustbinful of reeds and their roots wrapped round the prop so the engine stops dead. DAMHIK... 😞

(but at least the gates were open so we drifted into the lock, then spent a happy hour down the weedhatch with a folding pruning saw...)

All bound round with fishing line, solid as a football.

3 hours ago, IanD said:

I had a floating raft of reeds stall my engine in Rugeley Runnel once.

I opened the weddhatch to cut them off the prop and just as I put my arm down a frog jumped out. Scared the shi living daylights out of me... :) :)

• Happy 1

14 minutes ago, cuthound said:

I had a floating raft of reeds stall my engine in Rugeley Runnel once.

I opened the weddhatch to cut them off the prop and just as I put my arm down a frog jumped out. Scared the shi living daylights out of me... :) :)

When I tried to put my arm down the weedhatch it wouldn't go in anywhere, there was a solid mass of reeds/roots right underneath it which completely filled the space above and around the propeller... 😞