Gas pipe size

Featured Posts

12 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Din't shift the blame onto me ! You are the one with the dodgy bottle who never told anyone. So immoral !

I'm shocked. 

I haven't got a dodgy bottle. Besides, I didn't actually say I didn't tell anybody. FWIW, I didn't but thats not the point.

Anyway, when I returned it, it was as safe as it possibly could be, it was empty. Only an idiot would fill it back up and install it in a school without checking it.

Edited by rusty69

1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

I think it was from the plastic plug on the valve stem.

That is the pressure relief device.  The plastic disc pops out and releases the full contents of the bottle over about a minute instead of the bottle exploding if in a fire. A huge, controlled jet of flame is considered better than allowing the bottle to burst and release all of the gas inside in an instant.

11 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

They are all refillable !

I believe he meant 'refillable by the user in a way that doesn't breach the terms and conditions attached to the use of certain bottles'.

HTH.

28 minutes ago, MtB said:

That is the pressure relief device.  The plastic disc pops out and releases the full contents of the bottle over about a minute instead of the bottle exploding if in a fire. A huge, controlled jet of flame is considered better than allowing the bottle to burst and release all of the gas inside in an instant.

That makes sense.Kinda. I would have thought the plastic maybe the first thing to fail. I wonder if its affected by extremes of temperature, that places like a gas locker might present, or being left out exposed to UV. Probably not, I was just unlucky, and had a leaky one. I don't spose it was operating as a pressure relief device, as we managed to use the bottle for a good 6 months.

Edited by rusty69
affected/effected. Who nose

Enjoying the irony of being vilified for suggesting correctly that there was no minimum wall thickness for copper in the BSS regs and now seeing people happy to have unsecured bottles and stuff their lockers full of gear all of which is in contravention and far more likely to damage your pipework and connections. 

An anchor stored in there?  Should be fine. I mean they’re famous for not catching on stuff aren’t they?   

😂😂😂😉😉😉

• Haha 1

Well, I dunno if I mentioned my bottle wasn't secured. It wasn't fwiw, but then the boat is not subject to the BSS, so if I kill a passing group of schoolchildren, could be in big trouble.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Well, I dunno if I mentioned my bottle wasn't secured. It wasn't fwiw, but then the boat is not subject to the BSS, so if I kill a passing group of schoolchildren, could be in big trouble.

Wasn’t aiming it at anyone in particular to be honest just the general irony. There are at least a couple and I believe a mention of incorrect spec fire extinguishers if I recall.  Sure you’ll all be fine.  What do I know eh?  😉

3 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Well, I dunno if I mentioned my bottle wasn't secured. It wasn't fwiw, but then the boat is not subject to the BSS, so if I kill a [redadacted], could be in big trouble.

Yes. Even more so now you have acknowledged it as a risk you are aware of. The unsurance company will be unruly and unravel your unfound unclaim. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Yes. Even more so now you have acknowledged it as a risk you are aware of. The unsurance company will be unruly and unravel your unfound unclaim. 

Do you know he has unsurance ?
There is no requirement to have boat insurance (or a BSS, or licence) on some waters.

Fair point. 

If he doesn't then its the parents I would be worried about. 

Some of them* might not like their little toddlers fried to death. 

*others may be secretly rather relieved. 

I'm not sure it would be fair to claim on my insurance (I have turd party) for an an empty bottle I returned three months ago. I think I would be far more likely to go after the company that knowingly sells bottles that potentially leak. They probably have more money than me too.

5 hours ago, matty40s said:

This will fail your BSS if the examiner is doing his job. It doesnt matter about your opinion.

Yes I know, so I remove them for the examination.

I agree with the BSC sentiment, well, maybe I do, it's a good thing overall, but has it cut fatalities on the cut. Maybe not, but it will have raised awareness and that has to be a good thing.

37 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Yes I know, so I remove them for the examination.

I agree with the BSC sentiment, well, maybe I do, it's a good thing overall, but has it cut fatalities on the cut. Maybe not, but it will have raised awareness and that has to be a good thing.

Well done everyone. You’ve really put in my place by continuing this thread.  Will make sure I keep my boat fully legal……for one day every four years when I’m due a BSS exam apparently. 

Amazing that the ‘BSS is a watered down set of rules’….and yet half of you can’t even be bothered to adhere to those while you tell me off for making sure I comply.  

How I wish I had the ‘experience’ of some of the ‘most knowledgeable people on the UK waterways’. 🙄😂

5 minutes ago, magnetman said:

‘most knowledgeable people on the UK waterways

Where did you get this from? 

Assumption is the mother of all [word removed] ups. 

I think lady g might have suggested it

And I wouldn't argue with the most experienced people on the inland waterways of the UK.

For the record, I despise the BSS and all it stands for. I remember when it first came in. What a PITA.

3 minutes ago, magnetman said:

‘most knowledgeable people on the UK waterways

Where did you get this from? 

Assumption is the mother of all [word removed] ups. 

Direct quote from LadyG post earlier in this thread.   I believe I was being admonished for not just accepting the clearly incorrect info from one of the ‘elders’. And being told to just ‘get on a build my boat however I wanted to’ or some such.  

Apparently being told off by someone who knowingly keeps her boat in an unsafe condition. Who’d have thought.  

I don’t just make this stuff up. 😉

I think there is quite a lot more humour on here than some people might think. 

Humour is a bit like shoes. 

Maybe I am being a little generous in this regard. 

2 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I think lady g might have suggested it

For the record, I despise the BSS and all it stands for. I remember when it first came in. What a PITA.

I hate having to MOT my vehicles but it’s what we’ve got so I work to it not around it. 

Just now, magnetman said:

I think there is quite a lot more humour on here than some people might think. 

Humour is a bit like shoes. 

Maybe I am being a little generous in this regard. 

You definitely are. 😂