Storm Babet

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

14 minutes ago, magnetman said:

i recall Alrewas is very dodgy after heavy rain. Not been there for many yars but isn"t it a canalised river around there ? I'm sure there were some unprotected weirs. 

It is proper River Trent 50 yards below Alrewas Lock, down to the wier, the floating barrage a bit further down would not stop a boat in these conditions, it would just roll under.

You could probably get as far as Barton marina and then hang fire until the river drops.

• Greenie 1

20 minutes ago, bluelapsing said:

Morning all - a lot of boats on the move near me, but having never been in a storm or flood warning before I’m stuck wondering if it’s advisable to do that now the rain has stopped?

There are only a few locks between me and the next closure which is about 15 miles up the road in Alrewas. 

Ideally I’d like to get moving but no idea what it’s like further up from here and the CRT website (afaics) isn’t massively helpful…

Where are you at the moment, if its Burton I would forget Alrewas for a bit. If its the Coventry or Rugely then it should be OK

12 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

If where you are moored now is safe I would be staying put and leaving things a few days to settle down if you can.

This is the confusing part - it kind of is (in that the canal is still, the weather is good, my ropes look fine) but there level has risen quite a bit since yesterday and Deepmoor Drain, where the River has burst its banks, is a lot closer in reality than it is on the map. The playground that’s currently underwater tells me it’s definitely not meant to be this close…

I need to get to Rugeley by Monday from Baswick Bridge so may set off slowly and proceed with caution 

Thanks all 😅

If you mean Baswich Bridge, you are fine.

Screenshot_20231021-140826_Chrome.jpg

3 minutes ago, M_JG said:

Its a lovely section under normal stream conditions but personally I wouldnt be attempting it at present.

Wont it be on red anyway at the mo?

It will be on red for several days yet.

6 minutes ago, M_JG said:

Its a lovely section under normal stream conditions but personally I wouldnt be attempting it at present.

Wont it be on red anyway at the mo?

2 minutes ago, matty40s said:

If you mean Baswich Bridge, you are fine.

Screenshot_20231021-140826_Chrome.jpg

It will be on red for several days yet.

This is what’s confused me a bit - lots of boats moving (obviously much more experienced boaters) but I know my insurance isn’t valid if I move and it’s probably a more difficult job than it looks from where I’m stood at the minute. 

Incidentally a lovely couple just cruises past at a pace and insist it’s brilliant all the way to Great Haywood if you’re careful 🤔

4 minutes ago, bluelapsing said:

This is what’s confused me a bit - lots of boats moving (obviously much more experienced boaters) but I know my insurance isn’t valid if I move and it’s probably a more difficult job than it looks from where I’m stood at the minute. 

Incidentally a lovely couple just cruises past at a pace and insist it’s brilliant all the way to Great Haywood if you’re careful 🤔

Do you mean moving on the river section between Wychnor and Alrewas?

Or just the canal?

Edited by M_JG
Spooling error

There is no river section between you and Rugeley, I suspect you refer to Deptmore Drain, which is from the River Penk. You cross over the Trent on an aqueduct just before Great Haywood and then the route continues to Rugeley over the Trent on another aqueduct. 

Your insurance is safe. 

River Witham a bit high...

IMG_0869.jpeg.8b1a4c380ee56ca8140c6c6b0035b2b7.jpeg

• Greenie 2

1 minute ago, matty40s said:

There is no river section between you and Rugeley, I suspect you refer to Deptmore Drain, which is from the River Penk. You cross over the Trent on an aqueduct just before Great Haywood and then the route continues to Rugeley over the Trent on another aqueduct. 

Your insurance is safe. 

Ah fantastic - I’ll get a (cautious) move on then. 

thanks a lot 😊

4 minutes ago, M_JG said:

Do you mean moving on the river section between Wychor and Alrewas?

Or just the canal?

Just the canal coming from Stafford side, then turning right at the junction 

1 minute ago, bluelapsing said:

Ah fantastic - I’ll get a (cautious) move on then. 

thanks a lot 😊

Just the canal coming from Stafford side, then turning right at the junction 

Then as Matty says you should be fine, introducing the river section into the convo clouded things a bit, I would be very surprised if any boaters would be attempting that at the mo., (but then you never know).

5 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Oh dear 😰

Apparently a boat on the Trent (the fast part near the City Ground) is leaving a lot of match goers scratching their heads. I’d have a meltdown - just looking at the Penk on my walk this morning gave me a mini panic 

IMG_3298.thumb.jpeg.6ad2a1ae1f460f60b873a98ecee21fbc.jpeg

Just now, M_JG said:

Then as Matty says you should be fine, introducing the river section into the convo clouded things a bit, I would be very surprised if any boaters would be attempting that at the mo., (but then you never know).

So what does it mean when the canal is listed in red on the CRT notices section? Their website isn’t very clear and their wording isn’t very helpful, either. Appreciate they probably have their reasons but to a complete beginner their language is a bit of a mystery 

I was supposed to be back weeks ago and not have to worry about any of this but here we are 🙄 

17 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Your insurance is safe. 

Tis technically still the Fossditch at that point. 

What you doing in the uni buildings?

25 minutes ago, bluelapsing said:

Oh dear 😰

Apparently a boat on the Trent (the fast part near the City Ground) is leaving a lot of match goers scratching their heads. I’d have a meltdown - just looking at the Penk on my walk this morning gave me a mini panic 

IMG_3298.thumb.jpeg.6ad2a1ae1f460f60b873a98ecee21fbc.jpeg

So what does it mean when the canal is listed in red on the CRT notices section? Their website isn’t very clear and their wording isn’t very helpful, either. Appreciate they probably have their reasons but to a complete beginner their language is a bit of a mystery 

I was supposed to be back weeks ago and not have to worry about any of this but here we are 🙄 

Sorry but my knowledge of how they current classify things will be well out of date, but if I was to guess it means there is a section on a stretch of canal eg Wychnor to Alrewas that is on red boards.

Somebody with more up to date knowledge will advise.

Ed to add.

How they present info. does indeed seem very confusing with some info. being in a dedicated 'strong stream' section on their web site and other info just in the general stoppages section.

Eg

Screenshot_20231021-145150_Chrome.jpg

Edited by M_JG

image.png.e621ccf4c4f49e47c6b417f09d42537f.png

This is the Brayford now and the Witham under High Bridge (aka the Glory Hole)

image.png.f8e1b6b9d3cde029828770814b490be4.png

The flow on both the Fossdyke and Witham is extremely fast but boats are generally looking safely moored. Didn't stroll down as far as Stamp Lock. I expect this is going to take a while to subside. Haven't heard how my old marina on the Trent at Newark is doing.

image.png.583cad06ac05e88fc4620aa025a9503d.png

This is where the Witham leaves the Brayford Pool - not seen it this high or fast in the last 5 years.

• Greenie 2

4 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Meanwhile in Lincoln 

FB_IMG_1697881665610.jpg.fcb3fe1aadda93ba59dba8185576aa25.jpg

Laughing at them sitting in the water not the flooding 

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I few failed around here, Counted 3 front number plates off and one dead car, others may have been ramoved

4 on the bottom of Jaynes road and all the bungalows evacuated as the flooded. 

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Laughing at them sitting in the water not the flooding 

Terrific photo isn't it! I was really impressed to see that one of the new burger restaurants on the Brayford was still open for business despite the ground floor being completely flooded.

image.png.dd26d9449a43e28c95f5d5eace92e9b6.png

• Greenie 1

17 minutes ago, MrsM said:

image.png.e621ccf4c4f49e47c6b417f09d42537f.png

This is the Brayford now and the Witham under High Bridge (aka the Glory Hole)

image.png.f8e1b6b9d3cde029828770814b490be4.png

The flow on both the Fossdyke and Witham is extremely fast but boats are generally looking safely moored. Didn't stroll down as far as Stamp Lock. I expect this is going to take a while to subside. Haven't heard how my old marina on the Trent at Newark is doing.

image.png.583cad06ac05e88fc4620aa025a9503d.png

This is where the Witham leaves the Brayford Pool - not seen it this high or fast in the last 5 years.

There wasn't much level difference below the weirs at Stamp End last weekend when we were down there. They had the sluices drawn them after not overly heavy rain!

Picture from last weekend. 

20231015_115821.thumb.jpg.dfb469e0f2865f8e2e748df635a81a93.jpg

1 minute ago, MrsM said:

Terrific photo isn't it! I was really impressed to see that one of the new burger restaurants on the Brayford was still open for business despite the ground floor being completely flooded.

It is Five Guys staff in the picture having breakfast 😀

• Happy 1

Just now, MrsM said:

Water much higher and boats could moor outside! I remember when I went through the glory hole a few years ago, my wheelhouse cleared with half an inch to spare! Wouldn't get through today intact!

24 minutes ago, M_JG said:

Not sure how clean the Witham is but I seriously doubt the wisdom of eating in a flooded establishment

Its only the ground floor that is flooded - all of the serving and cooking facilities are a floor higher so I would hope that it is pretty safe. I expect the Witham and Fossdyke are as filthy and contaminated as all the other waterways in the UK 😒

Edited by MrsM
  • Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, MrsM said:

Its only the ground floor that is flooded - all of the serving and cooking facilities are a floor higher so I would hope that it is pretty safe. I expect the Witham and Fossdyke are as filthy and contaminated as all the other waterways in the UK 😒

Having ingested far more of the Witham and Fossdyke than I would have perhaps have liked over the years, I can state that it ain't done me any harm 🤣🤣🤣

• Happy 1
  • Haha 3
  • Horror 1

4 minutes ago, MrsM said:

Presumably though you have to paddle through the water to get upstairs?

Im surprised they are allowed to stay open TBH.

I'm about to go out on the launch on the Thames for the afternoon patrol. 

Yes We Do Have Open Sewers Here but I'm not drinking it today. 

Wouldn't be surprised to see some swimmers. You do get 'em. 

Weirs are about 4/6 drawn so its red boards and the River is shifting but levels are not elevated much. 

A lot more relaxed than up north. Nobody drowning their BMWs yet..