Why no biminis?

Kudzucraft

Featured Posts

20 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I don't think they're easily collapsible like a Bimini. You don't want lots of parts that you have to fit back together while you're on the move single handed.

Not this one, just folds up

MAXIMUS HEAVY DUTY POP UP GAZEBO 3m x 3m COMMERCIAL MARKET STALL WITH 4 WEIGHT BAGS (No Walls, Grey) https://amzn.eu/d/asTN9BQ

Screenshot_20231012-114852.png.f6ba3688684b5b408501ef53571890be.png

Edited by GUMPY
Add pic

This 12ft trampoline worked and I got the barge from Limehouse to Oxford before I had to take it down for the low bridges. 

Didn't touch the sides of locks. £1 on fleabay. I put canvas over it. 

IMG_20231010_113548.jpg.fad2da8b95f65f07083f48f207e1d21f.jpg

Yes I know ! A bit of the favela look. 

This is the 21st century!  Somebody must have made a sort of pram hood that detects oncoming obstructions and lowers itself by the requisite amount after sounding a small alarm to tell the occupants to duck, so where are the pictures???  We need to be told!

• Greenie 1

The top cover on the Thames trip boat Caversham Princess goes down on actuators so it can lose a couple of feet of air draft and fit under low bridges such as Cookham lock cut bridge. 

thames-rivercruise-credit-greatwestwayco

Much bigger but maybe a model to take inspiration from. 

31 minutes ago, magnetman said:

The top cover on the Thames trip boat Caversham Princess goes down on actuators so it can lose a couple of feet of air draft and fit under low bridges such as Cookham lock cut bridge. 

thames-rivercruise-credit-greatwestwayco

Much bigger but maybe a model to take inspiration from. 

There used to be a self built modern widebeam boat at Burton Waters that had a raised wheelhouse that lowered on hydraulic rams to sit behind the boat to lower the air draft to get through the low bridges in Lincoln.

The name of it has escaped me right now. It used skip lorry hydraulic rams.

ETA: It was called Enigma.

Not a great picture but you can just make out the rams at the rear

02P1000062_edited-1.jpg.177c8d8a207b48ff0db38e862a0e8bb6.jpg

Edited by Naughty Cal

3 hours ago, blackrose said:

Not really very boaty though is it.

Never said it was, just pointing out not all gazebo have lots of loose poles.

I have to say that it would fit on your rear deck when moored and provide some shade. Possibly not where you want the shade but there would be some.

6 hours ago, David Mack said:

1955-14.jpg

Does that also function as a lid over the semitrad bit when closed? If you incorporated a normal sized slide in it you would have a convertible trad/semitrad.

No. The closed position is forward of the hatch with the slide, when in its open position, sitting underneath.

12 hours ago, GUMPY said:

Never said it was, just pointing out not all gazebo have lots of loose poles.

I have to say that it would fit on your rear deck when moored and provide some shade. Possibly not where you want the shade but there would be some.

I've already got that covered - pun intended.

IMG_20220813_164958.jpg

IMG_20220814_191634.jpg

Edited by blackrose

This mine, has been in use since 2009.  As someone has said they are available in different widths, number of hoops and therefore lengths.  A couple of bungee cords un hook from the stern rail so dropping is simple and almost instantaneous.

Photo taken at Bedford river festival in 2018.  ( I do stern to mooring!)

Chris

1807130002.JPG

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, magnetman said:

If it was larger would it be called a Bimaxi? 

I like the door painting. 

The painting is SWMBOs interpretation of our local water tower!

Another pic without all the distractions - this time half way up the Northampton arm.1906010002.JPG.0f888ee6439fdfa4b4e78b2fb2e16c3a.JPG

Is it alright in locks? It looks potentially awkward if the boat happens to rock a bit when going through the bottom gates. 

1 minute ago, CIEL said:

The painting is SWMBOs interpretation of our local water tower!

I interpreted it as a nice tower shaped castle with a magnificent pathway down to where the boat is moored. 

Boat being adequately shaded by a riverside Alder tree. 

The three apertures being the drawing room windows. 

On 16/10/2023 at 09:11, CIEL said:

This mine, has been in use since 2009.  As someone has said they are available in different widths, number of hoops and therefore lengths.  A couple of bungee cords un hook from the stern rail so dropping is simple and almost instantaneous.

Photo taken at Bedford river festival in 2018.  ( I do stern to mooring!)

Chris

1807130002.JPG

Seems like such a good choice! First one I have seen and just seems to make sense.

20 hours ago, Kudzucraft said:

Seems like such a good choice! First one I have seen and just seems to make sense.

Yes, I was unsure and debated with myself about it for a while.

Being brought up in Yiewsley, Middx. on the Southern Grand Union and started my boating there in late 60s early 70s and subsequently on to Thorne and Yorkshire waterways before returning South and ending up on the River Great Ouse I had to overcome the "it's not traditional" mindset.

For this latter environment Great Ouse and tributaries, Middle Levels and Nene it is a great boon shielding against the wide open skies and apart from the ML not too many bridges to worry about.

It also works to an extent against fairly heavy rain , intense downpours result in a mist being forced through the fabric.

There is no appreciable handling differences in cross winds but there is no protection against horizontal sleet and hail.

Also it helps to disguise me as cruiser on the river as I am no bigger than the larger Sheerlines.  The plastic brigade try to look down their noses at us steel tubes!

I have found no problem in it getting caught coming out through lower gates on narrow locks, although I prefer to work narrow locks with it down as it restricts the ability to see anything going on above head level.

Chris

• Greenie 1