Boat batteries

truckcab79

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, magnetman said:

Yes but finding amusement in either the misfortune or perceived future misfortune of others is rather infra dig. 

typo edit

It's a bit of a demonstration of the difference between knowledge and true wisdom, in my opinion.

Edited by DShK

2 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Agreed, but it comes with extreme age and the frustration of the repetition of new hopeful ( hopeless? ) boat owners asking questions but only accepting their own incorrect answers. 

You've only been on this forum for a few years haven't you? Perhaps you should wait until you've been on here for a bit longer before becoming so world weary.

Of course there's repetition, it goes around and around. However you can't blame someone asking something for the first time and not realising it's been asked a few hundred times before, it's not their fault.

If you're so sick of it why do you hang around? Why not take a break? Extreme cynicism doesn't do anyone any favours.

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 2

3 minutes ago, blackrose said:

You've only been on this forum for a few years haven't you? Perhaps you should wait until you've been on here for a bit longer before becoming so world weary.

Of course there's repetition, it goes around and around. However you can't blame someone asking something for the first time and not realising it's been asked a few hundred times before, it's not their fault.

If you're so sick of it why do you hang around? Extreme cynicism doesn't do anyone any favours.

To be honest there no need for world-weariness on any forum.  That’s the bit I never understand. Don’t want to take part. That’s fine.  Nobody is making anyone post an answer to anything as far as I’m 

aware.  All the questions go round and round and round. Most forum search facilities are poor at best.

Google is actually a much better option as it will scoop up all the answers across many many locations and give a far more balanced reply than a tiny handful of possibly informed, possibly not, enthusiasts.  However there is something much more enjoyable about a forum….generally.

There are always a few members like this character. At some point they normally fall out with someone and storm off because they’re not being ‘respected’.  Invariably back abut 5 minutes later when they realise it was actually their entire identity and self-worth.  

Live your life, enjoy yourself, and help others where you can.  There’s not much more to living than that. 

• Greenie 1

51 minutes ago, DShK said:

It's a bit of a demonstration of the difference between knowledge and true wisdom, in my opinion.

There is quite an interesting phenomenon on internet forums which goes hand in hand with ultracrepidarianism. 

This is the situation where someone who is actually knowledgeable witholds their knowledge and attempts to use their perceived status as a way to belittle others. 

It would be far better to share the knowledge but for some this removes the status and degrades their own experience. 

The ultracrepidarian is even more dangerous but usually quite easy to spot. 

Internet forums have of course allowed ultracrepidarians to come out of their hiding places and perform a function.

All good fun and a nice study for someone doing a Dphil HD or whatever they are calling them today. 

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, magnetman said:

There is quite an interesting phenomenon on internet forums which goes hand in hand with ultracrepidarianism. 

This is the situation where someone who is actually knowledgeable witholds their knowledge and attempts to use their perceived status as a way to belittle others. 

It would be far better to share the knowledge but for some this removes the status and degrades their own experience. 

The ultracrepidarian is even more dangerous but usually quite easy to spot. 

Internet forums have of course allowed ultracrepidarians to come out of their hiding places and perform a function.

All good fun and a nice study for someone doing a Dphil HD or whatever they are calling them today. 

And sometimes there’s the added bonus of learning a new word. 👍

Everyone using internet forums needs to know about the ultracrepidarians. 

Interesting background.

Ne supra crepidam sutor iudicaret ! 

"The phrase is recorded in Book 35 of Pliny the Elder's Natural History as ne supra crepidam sutor iudicaret[1] ("Let the cobbler not judge beyond the crepida") and ascribed to the Greek painter Apelles of Kos. Supposedly, Apelles would put new paintings on public display and hide behind them to hear and act on their reception.[2] On one occasion, a shoemaker (sutor) noted that one of the crepida[a] in a painting had the wrong number of straps and was so delighted when he found the error corrected the next day that he started in on criticizing the legs.[2] Indignant, Apelles came from his hiding place and admonished him to keep his opinionating to the shoes.[2] Pliny then states that since that time it had become proverbial.[2]"

I really like it and forums are a brilliant vehicle for these types. 

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, DShK said:

I want to take a moment to appreciate @Tony Brooks as he's a very knowledgeable member of the forum who puts up with the same questions, again and again, still answers them, as long as the person is trying to help themselves, and help him help them (by providing good information etc). He's got the right approach.

Here! Here !

and I would say incredible patience ....   to do it over an over again. 

• Greenie 3

15 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Agreed, but it comes with extreme age and the frustration of the repetition of new hopeful ( hopeless? ) boat owners asking questions but only accepting their own incorrect answers. 

Sorry, but who decided you were the only one with correct answers? 

The OP has a healthy attitude. He doesn't know anyone on here from Adam. So, he asks questions, takes the advice, then combined with his own practical knowledge, decides which path to take. Happily accepting he may make mistakes along the way, but not moaning about it. Sometimes he may take your advice, sometimes not.

You may know more than a lot of boaters, I don't know. But that doesn't mean people should bow down to you.

Mr TruckCab is an absolute breath of fresh air as far as this forum is concerned. His threads are some of the few worth reading. 

Carry on reading, you may learn a thing or 2. 

• Greenie 2
  • Love 1

On 09/10/2023 at 13:09, HenryFreeman said:

Incredibly, my domestic batteries are still going - have had the current boat since 2017. I've got five fairly generic branded domestic batteries which I suspect haven't been treated as well as they possibly could have done and yet they still appear to hold charge. I'm mostly expecting them to give up the ghost in the next 12 months or so but who knows, perhaps they'll keep going. To be fair with those batteries, the most constant use for them is lights, pumps and fridge - I don't really tend to use them for much else (have various battery/powerbanks for phones, laptop etc.). And 700w of solar keeps them topped up.

My boat, built in 2007, still has its original batteries, although the domestic batteries (originally 660Ah, comprising 6 x 6 volt 220Ah batteries) are now down to about 300Ah, which is still enough to meet my needs, as I rarely moor in one place for longer than 24 hours, and rarely discharge them below 75% capacity.

They are American lead acid AGM's, made by a company called Lifeline.

https://lifelinebatteries.com/products/marine-batteries/

The only problem is the cost. https://www.tayna.co.uk/marine-batteries/lifeline/gpl-4c/

The only problem is the cost. To replace them would cost nearly £3,400 including delivery, so when they need replacing I will change to LifePo.

2 hours ago, cuthound said:

My boat, built in 2007, still has its original batteries, although the domestic batteries (originally 660Ah, comprising 6 x 6 volt 220Ah batteries) are now down to about 300Ah, which is still enough to meet my needs, as I rarely moor in one place for longer than 24 hours, and rarely discharge them below 75% capacity.

The only problem is the cost. https://www.tayna.co.uk/marine-batteries/lifeline/gpl-4c/

The only problem is the cost. To replace them would cost nearly £3,400 including delivery, so when they need replacing I will change to LifePo.

2 hours ago, cuthound said:

For that price LiFePO4 would definitely be a good choice I think. I paid £1140 for my 300ah LFP. Sounds like a lot of cash for 1 battery, but it should be good for 15 maybe 20 years. Running it in a hybrid set up with 340ah of LA. It’s been a game changer for me on my boat. Been off grid for 6 weeks now, running purely off solar. Can heat my water if I need to, even cook on electric with it occasionally to save on gas. Will be interesting to see how I get on in the winter though, with less sun. Probably have to return to the marina soon 😞

• Greenie 1