Desperately Urgent Lock Repair.

Tracy D'arth

Featured Posts

And now for the next URGENT lock repair, December!!!!!!

Its so urgent to avoid damage to the lock gates that it will wait  for 70 days!!!  I don't believe it.

Notice Alert

Coventry Canal
Starts At: Lock 8
Ends At: Lock 8
Up Stream Winding Hole: Atherstone Top Lock
Down Stream Winding Hole: Grendon

Tuesday 5 December 2023 08:00 until Wednesday 6 December 2023 16:00

Type: Navigation Closure
Reason: Maintenance

Original message:

We're having to carry out repairs at Atherstone Lock 8 on the Coventry Canal. The bottom end gates are dragging on the bottom of the canal, due to debris & silt inside the lock. The gates are now being held slightly ajar and boats are squeezing though. Work is required to remove the silt & debris from the lock, so that the gates open as normal again. 

A 2-day stoppage is therefore needed on Tuesday 5th December and Wednesday 6th December. We are concerned that damage could be caused to the gates, or to our customers’ boats, if left any longer than this. If we are able to open navigation any earlier, we'll update the notice.

Thank you for your patience while we carry out this essential work.

Edited by Tracy D'arth

On 25/09/2023 at 15:18, Tracy D'arth said:

Original message:

We're having to carry out emergency repairs at Woodend Lock 7, to repair the offside ground paddle which has been damaged and is currently inoperable.

On 25/09/2023 at 15:36, Rob-M said:

Worse is I can't recall ever seeing an offside ground paddle at woodend lock.  It only has a towpath side ground paddle and a gate paddle.

On 25/09/2023 at 22:58, nicknorman said:

Although chatting to the CRT bloke, who seemed quite competent and to know what he was talking about, there is evidence of an offside ground paddle having existed at some point. Can't imagine why it would have been completely removed, but it would have been a very long time ago.

It's clearly taken CRT longer than average to get round to fixing this - backlog from the North Staffs Railway ownership days...

1 hour ago, PaulD said:

Now Branston lock on T&M needs urgent repair to a blocked culvert. Boats having to wait a considerable amount of time due to slow filling. Scheduled for 11 & 12 October.

Its not a culvert but the paddle chamber, top paddle obviously.  Why it takes 2 days to clear that I have no idea, its usually a 2 hour job.

21 minutes ago, Paul C said:

Where is the word "urgent" used by CRT? I don't see it in either notice poste.d.

Now you well know that URGENT is not in C&RT's vocabulary!

These are Emergency repairs, to be carried out at a much later date than the notice would at first suggest.

9 minutes ago, PaulD said:

First line is “We’re having to carry out an urgent repair at Branston lock 8.”

Thanks - I've now looked at the CRT stoppages, rather than the quoted texts in posts above. I can't find anything of lock 20 (or lock 7) but I've found the one about lock 8. However the wording on the CRT stoppage/notice page is different to the quoted wording in the posts above.

For the avoidance of doubt, the current notice is:

Lock 8, Branston Lock, Trent & Mersey Canal

Detail

From Date: 22/09/2023 13:00

To Date: 11/10/2023 08:00 inclusive

Type: Advice

Reason: Maintenance

Is the towpath closed? No

Closest waterway: Trent & Mersey Canal

Starts at: Lock 8, Branston Lock

Ends at: Lock 8, Branston Lock

Updates

27/09/2023 15:23

A stoppage to repair the lock will take place on Wednesday 11th October & Thursday 12th October. The notice for this can be found here:

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/26356/branston-lock-8-trent-and-mersey-canal

Description

Please be aware that Branston Lock 8 on the Trent & Mersey Canal, is slow to fill due to a blocked offside ground paddle.

Our Operations team are planning to fix this. We will raise a separate notice once we have a confirmed date for repair.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/26310-lock-8-branston-lock-trent-and-mersey-canal

And it links to a previous notice:

Branston Lock 8, Trent & Mersey Canal

Detail

From Date: 11/10/2023 08:00

To Date: 12/10/2023 16:00 inclusive

Type: Navigation Closure

Reason: Repair

Is the towpath closed? No

Closest waterway: Trent & Mersey Canal

Starts at: Lock 8, Branston Lock

Ends at: Lock 8, Branston Lock

Upstream winding hole: Willington

Downstream winding hole: Wychnor

Description

We’re having to carry out an urgent repair at Branston Lock 8. The offside ground paddle top end has a blockage inside the culvert chamber. This is causing the lock to be very slow to fill, meaning boats are having to queue for a considerable amount of time.

A 2-day stoppage is therefore required. The stoppage will take place on Wednesday 11th October and Thursday 12th October.

Thank you for your patience while we carry out this vital repair.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/26356-branston-lock-8-trent-and-mersey-canal

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Its not a culvert but the paddle chamber, top paddle obviously.  Why it takes 2 days to clear that I have no idea, its usually a 2 hour job.

Its taken 5 years to do the bottom near side paddle on Minworth top lock. The paddle goes up and down fine, but no water passes through. I report it once a year.

10 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Erecting blue signs?  Painting lock beams which makes them rot faster? Teaching fishing?

So just to confirm, you'd prefer the volunteer that usually does the angling taster sessions to repair the lock instead of waiting for the reactive repair & maintenance team?

Odd.

• Greenie 3

9 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

So just to confirm, you'd prefer the volunteer that usually does the angling taster sessions to repair the lock instead of waiting for the reactive repair & maintenance team?

Odd.

Have you changed your name recently?  🤓