Memories of what used to be a cracking event.

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

We really miss the old annual Stoke Bruerne Village at War event.

Always successful, it started to suffer from a declining number of people willing and able to organise and run the event.

Younger volunteers began to move away, sometimes to various university course.  Older volunteers  continued to get older, and in some cases quite infirm.  on the extreme end of things key players like David Blagrove passed away.

I fear those were the good old days that we are unlikely to see the same of ever again.

But let's salute it - sadly missed!

Edited by alan_fincher
  • Greenie 1

The younger generation just don't seem to want to remember historical events, and even the BBMF (just down the road from us) are seeing declining numbers of 'non pensioners'.

Maybe if it happened today .....................................

Covid 19 Vs WW2 Demands (2).png

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 2

1 hour ago, alan_fincher said:

Older volunteers  continued to get older, and in some cases quite infirm.

Went to 'Haworth at War' a year or two back. The community had clearly put in a lot of effort, but I did notice that almost all the soldiers, sailors and airmen in uniform on the street were far older than their equivalents would have been during WW2 (indeed some were almost old enough to have served in WW2).

And I somehow doubt that during the war a town the size of Haworth would have been able to muster three Winston Churchills to walk up and down the cobblestones!

42 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Went to 'Haworth at War' a year or two back. The community had clearly put in a lot of effort, but I did notice that almost all the soldiers, sailors and airmen in uniform on the street were far older than their equivalents would have been during WW2 (indeed some were almost old enough to have served in WW2).

And I somehow doubt that during the war a town the size of Haworth would have been able to muster three Winston Churchills to walk up and down the cobblestones!

I think Elsmere Port still have a Dads Army day? 

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

Or that King George VI would chose somewhere as small as Stoke Bruerne to make several  "major" speeches!

Also I'm doubtful that the French Resistance ever made it to that canal location.

But all good fun, if not taken too seriously!