Inconsistent revs (BMC 1800)

Mark R

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, MtB said:

Maybe they are fitted only to Australian engines, which have to run upside down. Obviously. 

We are talking about Banjo Paterson here, aren't we? 😉

(wrote "Waltzing Matilda" in 1895...)

Morning all,

Just an update and to say thanks for all your suggestions. 

I spent three hours emptying and cleaning the tank yesterday. I removed about 60 litres of contaminated diesel. I then vacuumed the sludge out and finished by scarping any additional detritus from the bottom of the tank and vacuuming this out. I filled the tank with 60 litres of fresh diesel and bled it through taking a sample. I cleaned the filter on the lift pump, replaced the fuel filter and bled the system.

The engine now appears to be operating normally. I ran it for about 30 minutes to ensure that the fresh fuel made it all the way to the injectors and beyond. I've decided not to replace the bolt that connects the leak off rail to the filter as I'm not sure of the exact size I need and if it's working I'm happy.

Once again many thanks!

Mark

IMG_6126.jpg.0fd0b82219142098791170cd6f2f470d.jpgIMG_6128.jpg.505249ab8233d81916b9ff63469525fd.jpgIMG_6130.jpg.f624c9959012ef11cc7349a348b71a60.jpg

• Greenie 1

23 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Out of interest @Mark R how did you manage to scrape out the tank? Did you do this through the filler or is there some sort of inspection hatch?

I suspect this may not be typically narrowboat. Inspection hatches on cruiser and yacht tanks are far more common.

Edited by Tony Brooks

All the boat has is its filler which is 1½" diameter. I used my cordless vac with lengths of 15mm and 22mm copper pipe with varying bends to try to get to every possible section of it. I may have missed bits, it’s impossible to say, but I spent an hour or so on that part of the job so hopeful I got most of it. It gave me the chance to fill the tank 10l at a time and take measurements on the tank level with a stick. Now at least I know approximately how much fuel is in there.

Edited by Mark R
  • Greenie 3

28 minutes ago, Mark R said:

It gave me the chance to fill the tank 10l at a time and take measurements on the tank level with a stick. Now at least I know approximately how much fuel is in there.

Just remember that the 1st 3 inches may not be usable as the pick-up pipe will terminate well above the tank base (for obvious reasons). I suggest that you do not let your tank get below 6" (or more) on your dip-stick.

• Greenie 1

presumably he can use his stick and compare where the fuel pipe exists the tank to work out how much is 'unusable'. 

From the photographs I can only admire the OPs tenacity to get the tank as clean as the pics suggest via the standard filler - well done to him!

• Greenie 2

20 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Irrespective of where the pipe exits the tank, the internal pick-up pipe will be several inches above the bottom.

I don't see how you can say that Alan, that might be 'best practice' or recommended but I'm pretty sure my fuel lines are connected via welded on stub fittings a few inches from the bottom of the tank, with no 'internal pipework' and i doubt my boat is unique. 

1 hour ago, jonathanA said:

presumably he can use his stick and compare where the fuel pipe exists the tank to work out how much is 'unusable'. 

From the photographs I can only admire the OPs tenacity to get the tank as clean as the pics suggest via the standard filler - well done to him!

Seconded. Looks a good job.

• Greenie 1

As it happens the outlet of the tank is only an inch above the base. The tank holds just under 10 litres before it starts to flow out of the pipe (from empty).

I’d measured this when I was determined volumes and levels.

Edited by Mark R
  • Greenie 1