New TV Aerial

churchward

Featured Posts

After a long service from my Log periodic aerial, it is now beginning to fall apart and I was going to just buy a like-for-like replacement but I have seen something similar to the link below on boats and wondered if they are any good.  Does anyone have one and can recommend it or otherwise?

New Blaupunkt Indoor Outdoor TV Aerial With Signal Booster & 4G LTE Filter 5060536949834 | eBay

3 minutes ago, churchward said:

After a long service from my Log periodic aerial, it is now beginning to fall apart and I was going to just buy a like-for-like replacement but I have seen something similar to the link below on boats and wondered if they are any good.  Does anyone have one and can recommend it or otherwise?

New Blaupunkt Indoor Outdoor TV Aerial With Signal Booster & 4G LTE Filter 5060536949834 | eBay

Had one very similar used indoors, not that make but one looking almost identical.

We are in a pretty poor signal area and it was rubbish TBH. But it may have been better outdoors and/or in a better signal strength area.

Sent it back for a refund.

52 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Mains powered?

Yes says it is but with an adapter. Looking elsewhere it says it comes with a wall-wart adapter to get 12v so hopefully useable directly.  

56 minutes ago, M_JG said:

Had one very similar used indoors, not that make but one looking almost identical.

We are in a pretty poor signal area and it was rubbish TBH. But it may have been better outdoors and/or in a better signal strength area.

Sent it back for a refund.

I think there are a few varieties and mostly badge-engineered by the look of it.   It sounds like I will be better off just getting a new log periodic aerial to replace our old one.  It's no good for a boat if it won't work well in low-strength signal areas.

I just thought there may be alternatives these days and this one could be more permanently attached to the boat even when cruising rather than putting up the log aerial each night.

14 minutes ago, churchward said:

Yes says it is but with an adapter. Looking elsewhere it says it comes with a wall-wart adapter to get 12v so hopefully useable directly.  

I think there are a few varieties and mostly badge-engineered by the look of it.   It sounds like I will be better off just getting a new log periodic aerial to replace our old one.  It's no good for a boat if it won't work well in low-strength signal areas.

I just thought there may be alternatives these days and this one could be more permanently attached to the boat even when cruising rather than putting up the log aerial each night.

My daughter has a One 4 All version and I know the instructions stated you need to be within ???15 miles of a transmitter. She can practically see it from her house and it works fine.

we used to have one of the moonraker black box aerials which used to sit about an inch above the cratch in normal use, we did used to have a pole it could be switched to for some extra height (clothesline prop was ideal), Generally it worked well apart from in poor signal areas. A friend had a log periodic on their boat and one evening we tried switching aerials, where his tv could find 4 channels using his log periodic it found 12 with the moonraker in the same spot, where ours found 2 channels with the moonraker (rubbish tuner in the tv) it found nothing with the log periodic.

image.jpeg

7 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Radio Frequency Propagation hasn't changed, so stick with the Log Periodic if you've been happy with it. No power required either. Win-win.

I think you are right we can just stick with what we know and in any case, it has been very effective.  When we cruise with our friends they often get fewer channels than we do and they have the same TV model as we do.  It is rare we cannot get a usable signal at the very least for the main channels.

It was just a thought after noticing similar units on boats when we have been out and about.

19 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Mains powered?

Because the antenna inside the box is to small to generate a signal strong enough for the tv, so it needs an amplifier.  Problem in weaker signal areas is the amplifier will also amplify the noise which (depending on the tv tuner) may mask the signal, so though the tv may report a decent signal the quality may be too low to be usable.