Beta Tug engine

Leap of faith

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, Leap of faith said:

Hi all,

Could anyone tell me please is the Beta tug a vintage engine?

Which one are you referring to as they did 2. The earlier one was Ford based and is called BD3. The later one was John Deere based and called JD3. Which one are you referring 2. Does it matter if it is a vintage engine or not

Edited by Tonka
Spelling

It is a BD3

I would not say that I understand engines that much. I do not want to get into the situation where parts are very difficult/expensive to source. Is this the kind of engine that needs a lot of tinkering with?...Does it have a good reputation? Does it sound nice?

1 minute ago, Leap of faith said:

It is a BD3

So what do you particularly want to know ? Does it come with manuals? Has it been looked after ? 

Is it in a boat called Rufus by any chance ?

Is it hydraulic drive ? @ditchcrawler has one with hydraulic dive.

Does it have a 240 v alternator attached?

Just now, Leap of faith said:

Yes it is Rufus....

I was only looking at photos of that this morning. I do not know the owner but know of the boat as I have seen it often around on the Coventry Canal. This will have been the 3rd time it has gone up for sale and I think the brokerage advert refers to 2015 & 2019. 

12 minutes ago, Leap of faith said:

It is a BD3

I would not say that I understand engines that much. I do not want to get into the situation where parts are very difficult/expensive to source. Is this the kind of engine that needs a lot of tinkering with?...Does it have a good reputation? Does it sound nice?

It's basically a de-rated three cylinder tractor engine from (I think) the 1970s. Nice powerful motor, I had the BD3 in my 68ft NB and it had bags of power to spare. 

Sounded ok-ish, but hardly like a 'proper' vintage slow revving engine. ISTR mine ticked over at 400rpm-ish and went up to about 1300rpm. Not that I ever needed to go anywhere that high with it. The boat would have been up on the plane at 1300rpm. 

3 minutes ago, Leap of faith said:

Yes I know about the 2015/2019. I wondered why it has gone up for sell 3 times with no takers? Maybe the surveys show lots of work needs? Just  wondered when you say "this will be the 3rd time it has gone up for sale" do you mean this year?

I thought it sold in 2015 and again in 2019 but may be wrong. 

I have a 1994 Bd3 and often get asked if it is a Gardner so cannot sound too bad. Lister also marinised the Ford engine and call that a Lister CRK3. Parts are available from Sleeman & Hawken but expensive. Cheaper parts are available from Agrline. If you buy it I can send you a copy of the operators manual. Have you looked at the boat yet

I have not looked at it yet..thanks for the information regarding part supplies and offer of a copy of the operators manual....the question I need to ask is as a complete novice engine wise apart from the basic looking at oil, water, coolant etc.. which of course I did on my previous boat which had A BMC 1.8. Is it a doable option for me?

Also would canal and river trust be able to get it going if needed e.g would they have spares/parts?

1 minute ago, Leap of faith said:

I have not looked at it yet..thanks for the information regarding part supplies and offer of a copy of the operators manual....the question I need to ask is as a complete novice engine wise apart from the basic looking at oil, water, coolant etc.. which of course I did on my previous boat which had A BMC 1.8. Is it a doable option for me?

I'd say yes, it is a similar general type of engine, basic and simple. Much bigger than a BMC 1.8 at 3 litres, and three cylinders rather than four. A vanilla diesel engine, very easy to look after.

10 minutes ago, Leap of faith said:

Also would canal and river trust be able to get it going if needed e.g would they have spares/parts?

We have had ours for 24 years. In that time we have changed the water pump and pipes to the hot water tank and skin tank. Not because of failure but preventative. Alternator had to be changed. A slight leak of the air inlet manifold made us change that gasket. It is simple to work on. Never used RCR so don't know what spares they have.

Edited by Tonka
Spelling

28 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I find them a bit noisy but that is probably because most are sat on the floor with no covering in the middle of the boat pretending to be vintage.

I found mine a whole LOAD quieter than the Beta 35 in my previous boat. Mainly because it was slower revving, 10ft forward of my steering position and behind a closed door rather than screaming away under my feet. 

• Greenie 1

13 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Hydraulic drive perhaps adds some complexity that most boats don't have. It can be a bit whiney, but probably depends on the installation.

I am not sure but don't think Rufus 3 is hydraulic drive. Must admit that looking at the photos access to the gearbox could be interesting. Image

Just now, Tonka said:

I am not sure but don't think Rufus 3 is hydraulic drive. Must admit that looking at the photos access to the gearbox could be interesting. Image

Also noted that the pipework is different to mine and surprised there is not a guard over the bottom alternator & associated belt

Have you asked what anyone thinks of the boat price wise 

10 minutes ago, JoeC said:

I think something has to be at least 40 years old to be vintage - if that helps 😉

Design wise the BD3 is close to that.

This boat at ABNB has a BD3 as well and of a similar size to Rufus.  Midland Canal Centre 62 Traditional for sale UK, Midland Canal Centre boats for sale, Midland Canal Centre used boat sales, Midland Canal Centre Narrow Boats For Sale FLEUR DE LYS – 61ft 9in, Traditional, 2+2 Berth - Apollo Duck

Looks slighter better maintained then Rufus to me

It regards to Rufus price wise ...any opinions? Just wondered when you say "slightly better maintained" would you be able to elaborate on that a little? is it to do with the engine or interior? Also someone mentioned the gear box access might be "interesting" what does this mean? could it be an issue?

4 minutes ago, Leap of faith said:

It regards to Rufus price wise ...any opinions? Just wondered when you say "slightly better maintained" would you be able to elaborate on that a little? is it to do with the engine or interior? Also someone mentioned the gear box access might be "interesting" what does this mean? could it be an issue?

It is hard to say about access to the gearbox without seeing it in the flesh so to speak. Depends on what size that door is that you can see in the photo. Need to access to do oil change on the gearbox and lip seal if it becomes an issue on the gearbox selector. 

The ABNB just looks slightly better with regard to the interior, engine and exterior paint work to Rufus. Have a compare and see what you think.

You're not the lady who had a plastic boat called "Leap of Faith" which I met once when it broke down at Lechlade