Visitor Mooring Castlefield

Iceni_exporer

Featured Posts

Hi

I was hoping to spend a couple of nights in Castlefield like i did pre-pandemic.

Have read posts about most of the moorings are now permanent.

With the Rochdale closed, what are the chances of finding a visitor mooring ?

Probably arriving Friday 25th August

Thanks

Mike

2 hours ago, Iceni_exporer said:

Hi

I was hoping to spend a couple of nights in Castlefield like i did pre-pandemic.

Thanks

Mike

I believe there are still VMs on the "tuning fork" bit the other side of the railway viaduct from the basin, where there are now none.

Don't know how full they are though...

Hi johnmck

I'm currently just NW of Wigan on the LL.

Was hoping to stay in Manchester for 2 nights.

If that doesn't work out, would like to moor somewhere is Sale where I can catch the tram into the city.

I've moored at Lymm and various places West of Lymm but not near Sale.

Any tips welcome

Mike

Hi IanD

Well its not a big detour, I will pop by and take a look unless i hear its rammed

Mike

Hiya.

We had a trip to RHS Bridgewater at Worsley recently, mooring just past the marina (from your direction of travel) on the same side as the RHS. Great moorings and quiet. I am sure someone with more local knowledge will be along soon.

5 hours ago, Iceni_exporer said:

Hi

Thanks

Mike

My preferred mooring since the demise of Castlefield is the not too obvious one below lock 92 on the left looking up the nine. Not the lock mooring where the trip boat sometimes moors.

20 minutes ago, Iceni_exporer said:

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll get there in the morning and see what i can find

We have moored at Sale many times. There are some rings opposite the pub carpark although there is a fair bit of goose shit about. There are also some spaces on the car park side.

I had a couple of nights in there in early May, and there were one or two spaces for much of the time.

Things might be very different now though, so I'd be interested to hear whether you found a spot or not? 

If I remember right there was enough visitor mooring space for maybe 5 narrowboats, but I had a backup plan if the basin was full- which was to go up through the first of the Rochdale 9 locks, and moor a hundred yards further on. 

There were a couple of boats moored above that first lock whilst I was at the basin (wide beams I think), and although its not nearly as nice a spot as the basin, it does offer 14 day mooring if you need that, and I never saw any yobs hanging about there, so I'd chance it myself.

7 minutes ago, Tony1 said:

I had a couple of nights in there in early May, and there were one or two spaces for much of the time.

Things might be very different now though, so I'd be interested to hear whether you found a spot or not? 

If I remember right there was enough visitor mooring space for maybe 5 narrowboats, but I had a backup plan if the basin was full- which was to go up through the first of the Rochdale 9 locks, and moor a hundred yards further on. 

There were a couple of boats moored above that first lock whilst I was at the basin (wide beams I think), and although its not nearly as nice a spot as the basin, it does offer 14 day mooring if you need that, and I never saw any yobs hanging about there, so I'd chance it myself.

Just above Duke's lock is fine for mooring as you say, but noise from the restaurant and bar make it less peaceful than the "tuning fork".

Last time we were there we managed to find a space at the far end of the basin, but be warned that even though it looks wide enough winding there is pretty difficult because of silt -- also the car park has bright lights which stay on all night, not good if you don't have blackout blinds/curtains...

castlefield.jpg

Edited by IanD

1 minute ago, IanD said:

Just above Duke's lock is fine for mooring as you say, but noise from the restaurant and bar make it less peaceful than the "tuning fork".

No question the tuning fork is the place to be, but I do wonder how busy it might be in June to August.

In fact, I also wonder how busy the mooring places will be above Duke's lock, for that matter.

4 minutes ago, Tony1 said:

No question the tuning fork is the place to be, but I do wonder how busy it might be in June to August.

In fact, I also wonder how busy the mooring places will be above Duke's lock, for that matter.

When I've gone past in the summer there's always been plenty of space there, or even no boats at all -- but this may well depend on exact date and time...

Edited by IanD

Hi

Got to Castlefield to find notices reserving the "tuning fork" Stafford Arms visitor moorings reserved for the Lymm CC visit. Had checked the BWC website for notices, based on Pie Eaters post, and it mentioned closure of these mooring in April, May , June and July at various times; but nothing for August.

I'm tucked out of the way, which should be good for 2 days.

Thanks for help

Mike