Pram tops

Pav

Featured Posts

Hi everyone,

Looking for a bit of feedback and opinions from you if at all possible please.

We have 2 dogs who, particularly during this time of year, always seem to end up absolutely covered in mud, and are soaked through when returning from walks, which yes I know is only natural and part of the fun of dog ownership.

The thing is, no matter how quickly we try to wrap and dry them with their towels on returning home, it's a fair bet that the dredded SHAKE occurs and everything within 4-5 feet gets blasted!!

We are dreading this happening when we get Marmaduke, which is a semi-trad, as the bed will be the thing that gets the full force.

So I feel that, although an awful lot of money, a 'Pram top' will be the answer for us, as we can dry the woofs off under cover before going into the boat itself.

We have visited Wilsons of Kinver to look at their 'pram tops' (by the way, if anyone is interested, they also do some really clever furniture, including sofa beds and chairs which convert in a matter of seconds, seem comfy and they look nice too).

They appear to do a good job, and the gentleman who dealt with us was a really nice chap. Not pushy at all.

But I was wondering if any of you good folk have had any dealings with Wilsons? Does anyone know how their prices compare with other companies, and have you been pleased with any products you may have purchased from them?

Also, any feedback on the pros and cons of having a pram top would also be most welcome.

Many thanks.

Pav.

I bought, and had installed by Wilsons, a cratch cover, cratch, made-to-measure bow cushions, stern cover and stern dodger. Excellent service (I dealt with Ian Wilson) and they delivered on time and everything was perfect. Despite the fact that the cost was around £2000, they didn't even want a deposit. Very friendly and helpful and I'm a really picky customer. They're probably not the cheapest but seemed to be in the right ballpark. But high quality.

We looked at the possibility of a pram cover too (cruiser stern) but decided against it because it would have rested on the rear rail when down. This would have meant we would not be able to sit ourselves on that rail which is the normal operating position.

Chris

I know it's not directly answering your question but a dog only shakes when it's head is wet, even when it's body is wet through. Concentrate on drying it's head and you'll probably find it won't shake at all.

But getting back on topic, I've seen loads of boats with the little Wilsons tag on their covers, so they must be doing something right.

I know it's not directly answering your question but a dog only shakes when it's head is wet, even when it's body is wet through. Concentrate on drying it's head and you'll probably find it won't shake at all.

But getting back on topic, I've seen loads of boats with the little Wilsons tag on their covers, so they must be doing something right.

You could have a pram-top made for the dog's head.That's got to be cheaper than a boat sized one.

I believe there was another thread discussing the pros and cons of pram-hoods (daniel?). But, as usual, it fell into three camps..."I couldn't survive without one", "I had one and ripped it into a thousand shreds because it was so awful" and "I've never had one but I'm going to make a pointless comment anyway".

You may have guessed, by now, that I was firmly in the third category.

Probably been discussed to death before but I have a belief that Pram Hoods are a H&S risk due to the limited access/egress and visibility.

I witnessed an accident in a lock a couple of years ago where a boat with a pram hood was crushed under the walkboards across the back gates (they are on the inside on the C&H)

Can doggy drying take place under a front cratch?

[We have a Wilsons pram hood cover and we are very pleased with it. It gives extra storage space (for things like wet weather gear) apart form keeping us dry when we are cruising in the rain.We too have dogs which get wet and muddy :wub: and we have taught them to wait to get dried then they shake on command. This at least keeps the shakings in one area.

Edited to sort out the typos - too much red wine last night!

Edited by haggis1

I haven't had a pram hood from Wilsons but I have got Stern & bow covers and I too would highly praise their work & customer service. They may not be the cheapest but I was pleased with the quality.

On our last trip out Mrs G managed to knock one of the fittings off in a lock but a quick call to Wilsons and we received a packet of replacements by next post without charge. That shouldn't of course seem remarkable but given the appalling customer service one tends to get used to these days, it does.......... :wub:

Again, not strictly on topic, but if you fondle the dogs' ears while they're wet, it encourages a shake, so you could try this while they're still outside, thus delaying further shaking until you've had a chance to dry.

I think they look awful on Narrowboats, fine on cruisers though.

I agree. Still have one on our S/Trad NB though. I think NB's look awful with or without hoods TBH. Good for the job they were designed for though, despite not looking remotely like a proper boat. The hood is brilliant for our dog BTW, as well as giving the boat an extra cabin in which to hang wet stuff etc.etc.

Edited by Guest

Again, not strictly on topic, but if you fondle the dogs' ears while they're wet, it encourages a shake, so you could try this while they're still outside, thus delaying further shaking until you've had a chance to dry.

This works with SWMBO too.............. :wub:

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

I found this topic while trolling through this excellent web site. On the subject of Wilsons, I contacted them about a front cratch cover and they sent me a full range of the materials used for such covers. They consist basically of two types of material, PVC, which has a slight sheen to it and the other is Acrylic which more of a woven type fabric. Does anyone have an opinion or feedback of these materials ,such as ware and tear, cleaning or ability to keep clean etc etc.

Regards

Tony

We have Pram Top. I guess its horses for courses. We wouldn't be without ours, as you say its somewhere for the wet dog, coats, wellies etc which soon dry over the warm deck plates.

However, they do have some negatives too. As Chris says, ours hangs over the rear bench seat a little and makes sitting uncomfortable, we now have two stools. Our Sea Otter only has a small rear cruising deck which means that the pram top overhangs the rear of the boat past the button so we have too take extra care in a lock (not usually a problem with a small sea otter). In a stiff breaze occasionally the canopy material, althought still attached to the frame, has blown over the back of the boat and just cleared the waterline, now solved with the addition of two clips.

Condensation can be an issue overnight since the air vents in the rear doors now exhaust in to the canopy. Thought needs to be given to CO build up in the cabin due to restricted air movement.

Our canopy was made by Staffordshire Canopies and we are very pleased with it. Unless your on the Shroppie don't expect to cruise too many miles with it up in wet weather, since the extra height makes it very difficult to get through a lot of the bridge holes and as another member says it does significantly reduce vision.

Edited to add. They also seem to make your boat more appealling to burglars who can enter your boat relatively unseen.

Edited by MarkAdrian

Hi everyone,

I found this topic while trolling through this excellent web site. On the subject of Wilsons, I contacted them about a front cratch cover and they sent me a full range of the materials used for such covers. They consist basically of two types of material, PVC, which has a slight sheen to it and the other is Acrylic which more of a woven type fabric. Does anyone have an opinion or feedback of these materials ,such as ware and tear, cleaning or ability to keep clean etc etc.

Regards

Tony

Hi Tony,

On our visit to Wilsons, we looked at the materials available for pram tops, and on their advice, decided to go for the PVC.

Apparently it is very durable and any bird Sh*t can easily be wiped off.

Regards,

Pav.

Hi everyone,

Looking for a bit of feedback and opinions from you if at all possible please.

We have 2 dogs who, particularly during this time of year, always seem to end up absolutely covered in mud, and are soaked through when returning from walks, which yes I know is only natural and part of the fun of dog ownership.

The thing is, no matter how quickly we try to wrap and dry them with their towels on returning home, it's a fair bet that the dredded SHAKE occurs and everything within 4-5 feet gets blasted!!

We are dreading this happening when we get Marmaduke, which is a semi-trad, as the bed will be the thing that gets the full force.

So I feel that, although an awful lot of money, a 'Pram top' will be the answer for us, as we can dry the woofs off under cover before going into the boat itself.

We have visited Wilsons of Kinver to look at their 'pram tops' (by the way, if anyone is interested, they also do some really clever furniture, including sofa beds and chairs which convert in a matter of seconds, seem comfy and they look nice too).

They appear to do a good job, and the gentleman who dealt with us was a really nice chap. Not pushy at all.

But I was wondering if any of you good folk have had any dealings with Wilsons? Does anyone know how their prices compare with other companies, and have you been pleased with any products you may have purchased from them?

Also, any feedback on the pros and cons of having a pram top would also be most welcome.

Many thanks.

Pav.

I have seen zip up toweling bags for dogs used succesfully. Leave dog in bag for awhile and it comes out clean & dry. In my opinion it is better to have the galley at the back. Mud from the towpath and wet clothes will otherwise end up in your bedroom. BW provide free showers around the system for bathing dogs :rolleyes:

Sue

We have Pram Top. I guess its horses for courses. We wouldn't be without ours, as you say its somewhere for the wet dog, coats, wellies etc which soon dry over the warm deck plates.

However, they do have some negatives too. As Chris says, ours hangs over the rear bench seat a little and makes sitting uncomfortable, we now have two stools. Our Sea Otter only has a small rear cruising deck which means that the pram top overhangs the rear of the boat past the button so we have too take extra care in a lock (not usually a problem with a small sea otter). In a stiff breaze occasionally the canopy material, althought still attached to the frame, has blown over the back of the boat and just cleared the waterline, now solved with the addition of two clips.

Condensation can be an issue overnight since the air vents in the rear doors now exhaust in to the canopy. Thought needs to be given to CO build up in the cabin due to restricted air movement.

Our canopy was made by Staffordshire Canopies and we are very pleased with it. Unless your on the Shroppie don't expect to cruise too many miles with it up in wet weather, since the extra height makes it very difficult to get through a lot of the bridge holes and as another member says it does significantly reduce vision.

Edited to add. They also seem to make your boat more appealling to burglars who can enter your boat relatively unseen.

The fact that pram tops or in our case cratch covers are fitted such that they in effect cover the front or back vents is something I queried before we had our cratch fitted.

Basically we have two front bulkhead louvered vents fitted that were calculated to give the required free area of ventillation at deck level with the internal vents having the required "do not block" notices, but then we had a cratch cover fitted which fairly effectivly seals the well deck. the now remaining ventillation comes from the well deck drains (which can be blocked to air flow with stuff in the front lockers) and any "leaks" in the cover (which have an indefinate size).

I asked at the time if this was adequate or indeed legal and never really got a definative answer, I have to say that the ventillation does feel very adequate with a good flow of (cold) air being felt.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I have seen zip up toweling bags for dogs used succesfully. Leave dog in bag for awhile and it comes out clean & dry. In my opinion it is better to have the galley at the back. Mud from the towpath and wet clothes will otherwise end up in your bedroom. BW provide free showers around the system for bathing dogs :rolleyes:

Sue

Was just reading tgis post out and someone suggested putting a t shirt on the doggy when wet, front feet thru arm holes! Dont forget to take it off b4 they wee tho! Nothing 2 do with pram hoods but there u go....

Hi Tony,

On our visit to Wilsons, we looked at the materials available for pram tops, and on their advice, decided to go for the PVC.

Apparently it is very durable and any bird Sh*t can easily be wiped off.

Regards,

Pav.

Pav,

Thanks for that info (and everyone else too). My instinct tells me the PVC would be more practical, although I do like the look and feel of the woven fabric. I will definately do as you have done, and visit Wilsons as the boat build progresses, as I would like to see the loose furniture you spoke about. I have looked at their website which looks good. Is their showroom better ?

Hope the build is going OK.

Regards

Tony

Pav,

Thanks for that info (and everyone else too). My instinct tells me the PVC would be more practical, although I do like the look and feel of the woven fabric. I will definately do as you have done, and visit Wilsons as the boat build progresses, as I would like to see the loose furniture you spoke about. I have looked at their website which looks good. Is their showroom better ?

Hope the build is going OK.

Regards

Tony

Hi everyone,

Tony, I am sure you will smile, as we did, when you see Wilsons 'Showroom'.

We went over to Kinver expecting Wilsons to have a showroom of some sorts in a building, so was a bit surprised and amused to find that the showroom is actually a walk in trailer style affair, of the type used at shows and exhibitions, parked up on the car park of their offices.

To be fair though, it actually housed all the loose furniture range, which was easily accessable to try for comfort. You are also left in peace to measure, try and decide what suits you best. Most of importantly of all, the personal service and advice which we received from Mr Wilson was excellent.

When we last visited our builder, a couple of other new builds, have also now had Wilsons pram tops fitted, which were both in PVC.

I, like yourself, felt that the woven fabric material looked better, however the reasons given for going PVC seemed valid.

Having now seen the two completed pram tops on the new builds, as well as talking with other folk since placing our order, I am glad that we did go with PVC.

Especially as I have also now seen a number of pram tops on the canals, made with the heavier fabric type material which are looking quite grubby.

Anyway, definatly worth a trip to Wilsons, but you will be more than welcome to come and see ours, once it has been fitted onto Marmaduke, which is based at Stourport, not a million miles from Wilsons of Kinver.

Regards,

Pav.