Trent tidal locks

wandering

Featured Posts

I’ve been calling phone numbers for the tidal locks to no avail despite the website requesting 48 hours’ notice. At Torksey, no one has been here this morning or yesterday when I called. I’ve been told to just “ wait around”.  Can you man the Torksey lock on your own or must I rely on a volunteer being here to let me through? If so, what a rubbish system. I have places to be and this delay is quite annoying. 

Not been thru Torksey for a few years but you certainly were not allowed (could not) operate it DIY.

From memory it is a 2-man operation working the capstans.

Last time thru, we had to wait for a 'bankside' tree-cutting crew to come from a few miles downstream, even then they wouldn't let us thru as they were working to a 'tick sheet' (they were not lockies) and the water level did not reach the 'line' even tho it was high tide (it was a neap tide)

Explained the boat draws 2' 4" and by using a pole showed them the water was more than deep enough for us to enter the lock.

Its what happens when you save money by making the skilled operatives redundant and use someone with a chain saw certificate to work the locks.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, wandering said:

I’ve been calling phone numbers for the tidal locks to no avail despite the website requesting 48 hours’ notice. At Torksey, no one has been here this morning or yesterday when I called. I’ve been told to just “ wait around”.  Can you man the Torksey lock on your own or must I rely on a volunteer being here to let me through? If so, what a rubbish system. I have places to be and this delay is quite annoying. 

Why not phone “CRT central” to point out the problem? They may have a better number eg the local “team” hq.

• Greenie 1

7 hours ago, nicknorman said:

Why not phone “CRT central” to point out the problem? They may have a better number eg the local “team” hq.

That's what I did. The advice was "I've heard of this before, best to just wait for someone to turn up".

5 hours ago, PaulJ said:

Screenshot_20230811_124301_Contacts.thumb.jpg.4bda07f1cff3ef93bf6cf372ea4df2ef.jpgI usually leave an answerphone message and they generally get back to you.

Either eventually or quickly..

Problem solved. Lockie did turn up by 11.30 and let me through in the end. A bit annoyed as I had planned to set off first thing in the morning and I didn't make it to Newark. Canal time strikes again. 

11 minutes ago, wandering said:

That's what I did. The advice was "I've heard of this before, best to just wait for someone to turn up".

Problem solved. Lockie did turn up by 11.30 and let me through in the end. A bit annoyed as I had planned to set off first thing in the morning and I didn't make it to Newark. Canal time strikes again. 

I know it's very annoying, but one man does more than one lock so he has to juggle tidal windows, river levels and so on.

That is one reason for leaving a message. 

50 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I know it's very annoying, but one man does more than one lock so he has to juggle tidal windows, river levels and so on.

That is one reason for leaving a message. 

Yes, not the end of the world really lol. Poor man, quite a shame they can’t make the posts paid and permanent somehow. 

Just now, wandering said:

Yes, not the end of the world really lol. Poor man, quite a shame they can’t make the posts paid and permanent somehow. 

I think they are paid, volunteers are a rare bird in winter.

• Horror 1

22 hours ago, wandering said:

If you set off from Torksey at aprox midday, you should of easily made it to Newark that day. What time did you leave Torksey?

21 hours ago, LadyG said:

Thankfully it’s the Summer then.

Edited by BoatinglifeupNorth

23 hours ago, wandering said:

How slow is your boat?

Setting off from Torksey at midday should easily see you in Newark on the same day.

Couple of hours, 3 tops to Cromwell, then just over an hour from Cromwell to Newark? That's taking it steady!

22 hours ago, LadyG said:

All the Trent tidal locks are manned by paid staff both summer and winter.

Edited by Naughty Cal
  • Haha 1

There may well be (and usually are) volunteers operating Torksey these days.

There had been a well trained volunteer at West Stockwith but due to very serious illness I  think thats no so at the moment.

Agreed they are not volunteers at Cromwell or Keadby as far as I am aware.

If no reply to a phone call to book (48 hrs notice is requested) I send  a text message to the relevant mobile number. It seems to work most of the time. 

Its best to go with the tides . Sometimes Torksey cant be operated if the tide is low. There has been so much fresh on so no issue . However the river levels are presently reducing  towards a more normal summer level.

• Happy 1

15 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

How slow is your boat?

Setting off from Torksey at midday should easily see you in Newark on the same day.

Couple of hours, 3 tops to Cromwell, then just over an hour from Cromwell to Newark? That's taking it steady!

All the Trent tidal locks are manned by paid staff both summer and winter.

My speedometer said 4/5 miles per hour. Arrived at Cromwell after 4 hours and 45 minutes so couldn’t continue to Newark as lockie had clocked off. Took 3 hours to get there so quite the difference. Don’t believe I was going that slow but I was against the water and I was navigating into the wind. 

10 minutes ago, wandering said:

My speedometer said 4/5 miles per hour. Arrived at Cromwell after 4 hours and 45 minutes so couldn’t continue to Newark as lockie had clocked off. Took 3 hours to get there so quite the difference. Don’t believe I was going that slow but I was against the water and I was navigating into the wind. 

How does your speedometer work? GPS? You can also time yourself between the kilometre marker posts on the CaRT controlled waters as far as Gainsborough. They are shown on my old Sissons Chart.

14 minutes ago, wandering said:

Arrived at Cromwell after 4 hours and 45 minutes so couldn’t continue to Newark as lockie had clocked off. 

Had you booked Cromwell and  did they know you were on the way ? If so they should have called you to see where you were and they should have waited for you.

• Happy 1

3 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Had you booked Cromwell and  did they know you were on the way ? If so they should have called you to see where you were and they should have waited for you.

Generally when departing one lock it is best to discuss with the lockie where one is going and he will inform the next one, as well as maybe giving you an idea of standard times.

If, however you happened to be annoyed because of a perceived delay to your schedule .......!

... It pays to talk to the local CRT employee as he will usually know the river and advise if you are receptive.

• Unimpressed 1

41 minutes ago, wandering said:

Canal planner shows that Torksey to Cromwell is ...............

This is a trip of 16 miles, 5 furlongs and 1 lock from Torksey Lock to Cromwell Lock Weir Entrance.

This will take 4 hours and 31 minutes.

So your timing was quite good for a NB.

Remember that 'proper' boats (such as those owned by Martyn and NaughtyCal) will make the journey much faster.

I have made the trip many times in both a NB and a Cruiser and there is at least an hour difference.

• Happy 1

1 hour ago, wandering said:

Speedometer? Never seen a Narrowboat with one of those fitted??

Torksey to Cromwell is about 16 mile, did it take you 4 hours and 45 minutes, thats longer than doing 4/5 miles an hour. If Cromwell know your coming they usually wait for you. Did you inform Torksey you were going to Cromwell or phone Cromwell. You need to communicate with these locks while on the Tidal Trent, you can’t just go as you please as they are manned in accordance with the tides.

Edited by BoatinglifeupNorth
  • Greenie 1

VHF is the preferred Comms on the Trent.

The river it is used by commercial traffic, one is expected to know the protocols, it's a serious business, not a muddy ditch.

The Boating Association books may be available from lock keepers, information and charts. 

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

The river it is used by commercial traffic,

Other than C&RT vessels or contractors employed by C&RT I have not seen or heard of  any commercial traffic above Keadby for a few  years. 

16 minutes ago, wandering said:

No, i called nobody, I forewent the charts and decided to just barge my way through because of the entitled person I am! Of course, I phoned… 

Where you expecting Cromwell to be manned when you arrived?