BW registration plates

MtB

Featured Posts

Neither of my boats has its BW stamped aluminium registration plates any longer. The older boat in particular I'd like to have the old style BW plates which are black with white numbers rather than the other way around.

Does anyone make replacement registration plates like this? I very much doubt CRT does, although I'd imagine they would make and sell me some modern white plates with black letters.

There are dozens of companies advertising 'stamped number plates' made up with whatever you want on them, they can be 'old' 1950s-60-s style or 'modern' style but I doubt you'd get them to put on the BW logo.

14 Font Style Novelty Pressed metal number plates replica car show any text name | eBay

Car Reg Number Plate PAIR Replacement Registration Pressed MOT UK Legal Road | eBay

SET OF 2 OBLONG Black and Silver Pressed Number plates Car Metal Classic (pair) | eBay

On the "Wheeler Dealers" programme (probably an old repeat) Mike went nad had some personalised 'hand made' stamped number plates made up and it was about £20 for the pair (fron and back) 

Edited by Alan de Enfield

12 hours ago, MtB said:

Neither of my boats has its BW stamped aluminium registration plates any longer. The older boat in particular I'd like to have the old style BW plates which are black with white numbers rather than the other way around.

Does anyone make replacement registration plates like this? I very much doubt CRT does, although I'd imagine they would make and sell me some modern white plates with black letters.

The Graphic Boat does a wide range of numbers with the full range of logos from over the years, although they all appear to be stick on graphics.

https://www.thegraphicsboat.co.uk/narrowboatgraphics/boat-index-numbers.html

• Greenie 1

13 hours ago, jam said:

The Graphic Boat does a wide range of numbers with the full range of logos from over the years, although they all appear to be stick on graphics.

https://www.thegraphicsboat.co.uk/narrowboatgraphics/boat-index-numbers.html

I bought the British Transport Waterways roundels from the Graphics Boat.  They were not a success as the colour started to wash out of them after only as short period of use.  I can't say if they would fare any better for something in only black and white, but I would certainly have concerns if buying from them again

I intend to 3D print some press tooling and press a new set for my boat, if this is of interest more widely then I might make the tooling more universal and could do a few sets? 

Quite similar to what I do for a living so pretty familiar with doing it all, they'd probably be "paint your own" though, just a blank pressing as not really got the time to paint them up 

2 minutes ago, David Mack said:

I would be interested in a pair if you can recreate the authentic 1970s/80s look.

That's exactly my reasoning behind going to the effort of doing it, not much point bothering if they don't look authentic. I'll have a bit of a play and then you can all see whether they're adequate for what you're after 

Clearly British Waterways had thousands of these stamped out so there must be a firm somewhere who made them.

If that firm still exists, they may be able to make them to the old pattern and it could well be the same firm that CRT currently use.