Extra large side hatch

Featured Posts

Opening or closing those in a narrow lock will be interesting -- I'd say they were really wide side-hinged windows not a side hatch/doors... 😉

Even if they're not a fire escape (opening them), anyone who's been in a boat with wide-open windows/side doors in a leaky lock with water spurting from the brickwork walls will know why being able to close them is a good idea... 😉

Edited by IanD

8 minutes ago, Martin Kedian said:

Why leave them open in a compromising situation no different in size from a side hatch 21 inches heigh x 20 inches wide each door 

Because you don't know the lock walls are going to spurt water into the boat until the lock has started to empty and the boat goes down. DAMHIK... 😞

Side hatch/doors are rarely as wide as that, which is why they're usually a pair not single opening -- I asked for mine to be as wide as sensible, IIRC the opening cut for a pair was 750mm, so the doors are a bit less than 375mm each -- and I was warned that even that was a bit wide...

Edited by IanD

1 minute ago, IanD said:

Because you don't know the lock walls are going to spurt water into the boat until the lock has started to empty and the boat goes down. DAMHIK... 😞

Side hatch/doors are rarely as wide as that, which is why they're usually a pair -- I asked for mine to be as wide as sensible, IIRC the opening cut for a pair was 750mm (30"), so the doors are a bit less than 375mm each -- and I was warned that even that was a bit wide...

Then you shut them before you go in the lock. I only got caught once in that manner but having a brain I remembered the following times.

It really aint rocket science.

11 minutes ago, Martin Kedian said:

Why leave them open in a compromising situation no different in size from a side hatch 21 inches heigh x 20 inches wide each door 

Thank you 

They do indeed look good, very well made 🙂

Edited by IanD

1 hour ago, IanD said:

...anyone who's been in a boat with wide-open windows/side doors in a leaky lock with water spurting from the brickwork walls will know why being able to close them is a good idea... 

I'd say that anyone who's spent any time moving canal boats will know why closing side doors and side hatches before moving the boat is a good idea... 

1 hour ago, Stilllearning said:

On the basis that almost all lock walls leak, I never, ever, left the side doors open in a lock.

The other reason not to leave them open as I once found out is that if you're not careful centre lines can get caught behind the doors and you really don't want the force of the momentum of a boat on the hinges.

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1

56 minutes ago, IanD said:

Side hatch/doors are rarely as wide as that, which is why they're usually a pair not single opening -- I asked for mine to be as wide as sensible, IIRC the opening cut for a pair was 750mm, so the doors are a bit less than 375mm each -- and I was warned that even that was a bit wide...

How do you think everyone else with side hatches manage, You use your head and think about whats happening

6 minutes ago, jonesthenuke said:

Might be interesting if the boat is ever craned out of the water.

I know a bloke who fitted big side doors on both sides plus a big door sized skylight in the roof in the same area. He cut away so much steel it must have weakened the boat.

By the way aren't they called side doors rather than side hatches unless there's an opening top hopper?

Edited by blackrose

27 minutes ago, Martin Kedian said:

It has been for blacking no problem 

What?

You mean it didnt fold in half like a wet carboard box?

Some will find that dissapointing.