Lime Kiln Lane Tramway

Heartland

Featured Posts

The Yorkshire Post has commented on the need to remove an old tramway across Lime Kiln Lane, Stanley near Wakefield. It is classed as dangerous.

Is it the former Aire & Calder tramway to Stanley Ferry ?

Lime Pit Lane Tramway.jpg

I can't see how it can be the Lake Lock Rail Road as that closed 187 years ago - and there is no way the lines would still be there.  The line shows on the 1945-1965 series of maps and leads down to a basin at Stanley Ferry

Edited by StephenA
  • Greenie 1

There seems to be an indication in the Yorkshire Post article that it was linked to the tramway to Bottom Boat, however my thoughts were with it being the later Aire & Calder Canal Company owned tramway. It remains a valuable heritage survival.

If those rails are narrow gauge, they’re probably the the “naga lines” from Lofthouse colliery, to Lofthouse basin at Stanley ferry.  Once the coal reached the basin, it was then transshipped into Tom pudding compartment boats.

4 minutes ago, NB Esk said:

If those rails are narrow gauge, they’re probably the the “naga lines” from Lofthouse colliery, to Lofthouse basin at Stanley ferry.  Once the coal reached the basin, it was then transshipped into Tom pudding compartment boats.

They don't look full gauge - I didn't trace back on the map to where they came from.

6 minutes ago, NB Esk said:

A Tom Pudding full of ultra-hot chillies -- the mind boggles... 😉

11 minutes ago, buccaneer66 said:

From that map it looks like my first guess the Lake Lock railroad is correct.

The Lake Lock Railroad closed over 187 years ago - this line is clearly shown on the 1888-1913 set of O/S maps on NLS.   Line traces back into Lofthouse Colliery / Brick Works / Alum Works.  No idea when that closed down but I do know that similar tracks in Wigan that were in use in the 1960s were totally removed by the early 1980s

image.thumb.png.334ee43cb4f428f97bbde0853b6f878a.png

Edited by StephenA

It may well be this version of the tramway. There is also suggestion that a locomotive gage 3ft 4 1/2 in worked on that tramway. The builder was Black Hawthorn.

Plutos map shows the intended Aire & Calder tramway to Stanley Ferry, the Duke of Leeds Tramway and the Lake Lock Railway. The Aire & Calder line is the closest to what crossed Lime Pit Lane.

3 minutes ago, buccaneer66 said:

Is it possible that a later tramway actually used part of the Lake Lock route?

Not sure - but the one on the maps I looked at went from the Colliery down to the basin at Stanley

26 minutes ago, Pluto said:

There is an article on the Lake Lock Railway in the RCHS Journal No. 239, Nov 2020.

The upper section of the Lake Lock line was re-used in the 1880s when Lofthouse Colliery built a line down to Stanley Ferry in 1882–3 which continued in use until 1926

Edited by StephenA

2 hours ago, Heartland said:

It may well be this version of the tramway. There is also suggestion that a locomotive gage 3ft 4 1/2 in worked on that tramway. The builder was Black Hawthorn.

Plutos map shows the intended Aire & Calder tramway to Stanley Ferry, the Duke of Leeds Tramway and the Lake Lock Railway. The Aire & Calder line is the closest to what crossed Lime Pit Lane.

If you assume the setts between the rails in the photo are similar to house bricks in size, say 9 x 4", then that fits the gauge above quite nicely.

• 2 weeks later...