Carpet Fitter

Featured Posts

When I had my last boat fitted with carpets I simply went into a local carpet store, an independent one and asked and they said they had never done one but would be happy to. So they did, and a good job too, i cant be arsed with such jobs anymore. Edit to add, we had carpets fitted on the Notts Princess whilst I was there by a local shop so you shouldnt have a problem.

Edited by mrsmelly

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

When I had my last boat fitted with carpets I simply went into a local carpet store, an independent one and asked and they said they had never done one but would be happy to. So they did, and a good job too, i cant be arsed with such jobs anymore.

Much the same here. When I wanted a fitted carpet in my caravan I went to a carpet warehouse, got an oddment which was big enough and one of the carpet fitters who advertise there was happy to fit it. 

When buying our first boat, attending shows for ideas, the late Steve Hudson advised having carpets rather than laminate/wood adding that given the small area you could afford to change them every couple of years. A comment my wife took to heart!

So we've used a number of different companies over the years with no objections although the one at Ellesmere Port reckoned he felt a bit queesy afterwards.

Having said that we now have Karndean throughout and much easier to clean.

1 minute ago, pearley said:

When buying our first boat, attending shows for ideas, the late Steve Hudson advised having carpets rather than laminate/wood adding that given the small area you could afford to change them every couple of years. A comment my wife took to heart!

So we've used a number of different companies over the years with no objections although the one at Ellesmere Port reckoned he felt a bit queesy afterwards.

Having said that we now have Karndean throughout and much easier to clean.

He was right!! My Hudson had superb quality wilton carpets throughout, hard wearing, warm, quiet and in fact easy to clean even with a dog. The carpet needs to be high quality with a high wool content.

3 hours ago, baldlimey said:

I have tried big shops and little and all have said no to working on the boat.

We always made it easier by drawing out the layout if the room so it could be precut and putting all loose furniture on the towpath. You might need a big tarpaulin though.

I'd recommend carpet tiles. My holiday job as a student was for a flooring company, so I sort of know what I'm doing, but carpet tiles are not complicated.

You get the option to have different colours in different areas, and any mess can be fixed easily and quickly.

3 hours ago, baldlimey said:

I have tried big shops and little and all have said no to working on the boat.

We used several firms over the years - one firm in Newark did 3 for us in 2 years. The 'boss man' did it as he said it was something different and he enjoyed it.

He even came to Lincoln to do one for us.

Never had a 'no' from any shop or fitters, but it has always been the 'small independent' we have asked, not the big 'sheds' like carpetshite, etc.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Stilllearning said:

I'd recommend carpet tiles. My holiday job as a student was for a flooring company, so I sort of know what I'm doing, but carpet tiles are not complicated.

You get the option to have different colours in different areas, and any mess can be fixed easily and quickly.

Both of my shareboats were fitted with Flotex carpet tiles. Not cheap but incredibly hard wearing and easy to clean.