Non Slip Over Wood

mark99

Featured Posts

If seen old fashioned roofing felt used, requires fastening with flat roofing nails, not sure which is better.

Ive seen old fashioned roofing felt used, requires fastening with flat roofing nails, not sure which is better. Chicken wire can't be swept easily 

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, mark99 said:

Thank you Jen in "Wales"  sic :)

It's an easy cheap fix. They did it at a marina I once moored at and I've seen it elsewhere on greasy wooden decking. I'm trying to remember how it coped with snow and ice. Can't recall if it was good, or lethal! Important that it is well stapled down and the maintenance needs to be kept on top of. If a hole appears, it needs to be fixed immediately, as there is a risk of catching a foot in it and heading face first in to the deck, or the drink. Yes, chicken wire comes full of holes already. You know what I mean.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

It's an easy cheap fix. They did it at a marina I once moored at and I've seen it elsewhere on greasy wooden decking. I'm trying to remember how it coped with snow and ice. Can't recall if it was good, or lethal! Important that it is well stapled down and the maintenance needs to be kept on top of. If a hole appears, it needs to be fixed immediately, as there is a risk of catching a foot in it and heading face first in to the deck, or the drink. Yes, chicken wire comes full of holes already. You know what I mean.

I have a load spare so no probs. I use it to keep rabbits out of my veggie area.

Edited by mark99
  • Happy 1

Clean it regularly and shoot the geese. 

Don't like the idea of falling on chicken wire at all. Specially if it is rusty. 

Another thing might be lots and lots of stainless steel nails sticking up a little bit if such a thing is available. 

I've not used a nail gun but if you put a spacer like a washer between the tool and the wood does the nail end up sticking out? One can get stainless nails for nail guns. 

Maybe they go all the way in whatever you do. 

6 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Clean it regularly and shoot the geese. 

Don't like the idea of falling on chicken wire at all. Specially if it is rusty. 

Another thing might be lots and lots of stainless steel nails sticking up a little bit if such a thing is available. 

I've not used a nail gun but if you put a spacer like a washer between the tool and the wood does the nail end up sticking out? One can get stainless nails for nail guns. 

Maybe they go all the way in whatever you do. 

I will use U staples

17 hours ago, magnetman said:

I think I would rathe fall on the netting, Dont be tempted to use this type of stuff. You slide along the wires and I have seen it ised on wooden foot bridges as its more hard wearing. image.thumb.png.de92894bf19adcb8b9bd9390d31a6cbd.png

• Greenie 1

In general Non-Slip = expensive or ugly or both.

Checken wire is frowned upon but its cheap and works. With high traffic it breaks and exposes sharp edges. Makes keeping the deck clean even harder.

Staples do appear to work quite well and look quite good.

Another option is lots of nails with raised heads. I am seriously thinking about this option but as our deck is oak will need to use copper. Bit costly.

Curtting grooves and putting in a "sand" and epoxy mix is the proper way but very time consuming and expensive.

Long rolls of rubber mat is another option.

• Greenie 1

Last week I was helping fix non-slip strips to the wooden treads of the footbridge at the heritage railway where I am a volunteer. They are steel, coated with some sort of aggregate. I don't know how much they cost or where they were bought from as I didn't order them, but could find out next week. They are secured using screws. 

1687712380056-1.jpg

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, Ronaldo47 said:

Last week I was helping fix non-slip strips to the wooden treads of the footbridge at the heritage railway where I am a volunteer. They are steel, coated with some sort of aggregate. I don't know how much they cost or where they were bought from as I didn't order them, but could find out next week. They are secured using screws. 

1687712380056-1.jpg

FANTASTIC level crossing. Wooden gates an everyfink! 

But getting back on topic, I have chicken wire stapled over the railway sleeper steps up the hill in my fairy garden to my workshops. Chocolate teapot territory once frozen, they are bloody lethally slippery. Same with the admiral plate what my tug deck is made of. 

The very best anti-slip surface after freezing rain is the massively-coarse-grit-glued-onto-plywood panels that CRT fix onto the crossing planks on lock gates. I notice British Rail or whatever they are called this week use the same stuff on the steps on the footbridges over their railways, which is prolly also the same stuff as wot you are screwing down in your fantastic picture. Highly recommended. 

Edited by MtB
To finesse a point.
  • Greenie 1

6 hours ago, Ronaldo47 said:

1687712380056-1.jpg

I forgot to mention these. I rejected these as too expensive but then I did need a lot. But just looked on eBay and 60cm lengths are available for £2. don't know how good they are and it will still be a few £hunded for the OP. As mtb says, CRT use something like this and they are very good. A cheap option is to talk to a local woodwork shop and get all their worn out linisher belts 😀, Maybe the approach is to do what I planned to do and trial a few different methods for a year and see how they perform? 

At the moment I think that just keeping the deck clean will be adequate for me, but I suspect that oak performs better than softwoods. A good clean twice each year with a yard brush and vinegar has worked well.

• Greenie 1