Another springer question

Kris9128

Featured Posts

13 minutes ago, Francis Herne said:

It sounds like you, unlike the original poster, don't plan to live on it which lowers the stakes considerably.  If it sinks (etc.) you can't go boating but it won't leave you homeless.

There are degrees - you could get a hull survey rather than a full one, or if the seller's amenable find a drydock and go around with a hammer yourself; it's better than nothing.

In the latter case you may be able to get the use of a dock more cheaply by being flexible - when I needed to do some quick work on Lark, a local yard let me know a day in advance that they expected a few hours' gap between one boat leaving and the next coming in.

If you do buy a Springer without any hull inspection, you definitely need to have a plan for the worst-case scenario. That can be "scrap it and give up" so long as your life plans don't rely on having a boat.

Thanks for the reply to my thread highjack!

Yes I was only ever thinking of a hull survey, I’m reasonably happy with engines etc. 
I’m probably over thinking it, which is my nature if I’m honest, and maybe just need to grow a pair and go for it. What’s the worst that can happen, lose a bit of money but at least I’ll have tried!

Thanks for the suggestion re dry docks, that’s really helpful and I hadn’t thought of it. 👍

38 minutes ago, ionayes said:

I know that it’s tempting to just go with your gut and buy what you like - it’s what I did! I didn’t think I could afford the high survey costs as you mentioned. 

However, I’m now in a position where to get the boat to a standard that it should be, it’s going to cost about 5k according to a survey I had recently - 3 months after purchase because I was having a lot of issues. 

I can luckily afford to do the work slowly and a lot of DIY which will reduce costs and I do love her, wouldn’t change it now, but if I ever decide to sell and upgrade I will definitely get a survey. 

It’s never simple but it’s much better than land life! Wish you all the best. 

A quick question ionayes, if you don’t mind. If you’d have got the survey before purchase, would you still have gone ahead?

• Greenie 1

On 28/06/2023 at 11:00, MtB said:

Lol.

1) I never get a survey before buying a boat.

2) I'm making no comment about whether I'm a millionaire or not, but there are a few on this forum I can think of! 

I agree, we all take risk and its variables differently. I have bought and owned 8 boats and never had a survey, even the first one nearly thirty five years ago. This house and indeed the one before as I paid cash and didnt have to comply with some poxy banks rules have not been surveyed either, no boat sunk, all sold promptly, no houses fallen down, moocho money saved on the ten combined purchases. Oh and I am far from being a millionaire 🤣

• Greenie 1

There were some Springer hulls which had Wooden cabins and were fitted out at Cosgrove in the middle 1960s think the company was called Faulkners but could be wrong. They got a lot of people afloat cheaply but were never a long term proposition.

Thanks for all of the replies and advice. There's a lot to take on/in. Whilst I don't want to buy a new boat, i still need something that will last me at least about 5 years (preferably without sinking, lol) so will probably give the old springers a miss.

Not looking for a 70 footer as it'll just be myself for 90% of the time but will need space for a desk etc ( working remotely). Managed to get out at weekend and visit a few marina's.  I think 45ft is about the smallest i could squeeze into. 

I know I have a lot to learn and it will be a very steep learning curve, so will probably have many more questions once I finally make a decision (apologies in advance)

Thanks, kris

Edited by Kris9128
Spelling mistakes
  • Greenie 1

23 minutes ago, Kris9128 said:

Thanks for all of the replies and advice. There's a lot to take on/in. Whilst I don't want to buy a new boat, i still need something that will last me at lea pool bet so I will not be the onlyst about 5 years (preferably without sinking, lol) so will probably give the old springers a miss.

Not looking for a 70 footer as it'll just be myself for 90% of the time but will need space for a desk etc ( working remotely). Managed to get out at weekend and visit a few marina's.  I think 45ft is about the smallest i could squeeze into. 

I know I have a lot to learn and it will be a very steep learning curve, so will probably have many more questions once I finally make a decision (apologies in advance)

Thanks, kris

I'm a bit confused now, just to recap,

A steel boat, nxiarrowboat, fits narrow locks.

The CRT waterways are restricted by width in the centre (Birmingham)

A boat intending to  stay in the North should be 57foot as, though there are wide canals and some big locks, some navigations only take shorter boats 

A boat which is for a family needs to be longer than 57 if bedrooms are envisaged :

I had a prolonged discussion with my taxi driver, same one both ways. He has a wife and three children and thinks he won't have to pay Council Tax so that is all that matters. 

PS if you are tempted to visit Normanton, by taxi please resist temptation, nothing of interest. I spent an hour in the bookies as that was open. Fortunately I have won the placepot, it's £100k! Unfortunately, I suspect I will have to share the pot with a few thousand others, so probably not life-changing.

Edited by LadyG

On 02/07/2023 at 14:49, uncle nick said:

Thanks for the reply to my thread highjack!

Yes I was only ever thinking of a hull survey, I’m reasonably happy with engines etc. 

Thanks for the suggestion re dry docks, that’s really helpful and I hadn’t thought of it. 👍

As mentioned earlier in the thread, most Springers have a v shaped bottom. This needs to be mentioned to the dry dock. I’m not too sure but I think I have heard that this is a problem for some places? It’s a pretty easy matter to sort for the dock.  Some may prefer a relatively easy life of  just drop the many flat bottom boats onto the base in the dock and no worry. 

1 minute ago, Stroudwater1 said:

As mentioned earlier in the thread, most Springers have a v shaped bottom. This needs to be mentioned to the dry dock. I’m not too sure but I think I have heard that this is a problem for some places? It’s a pretty easy matter to sort for the dock.  Some may prefer a relatively easy life of  just drop the many flat bottom boats onto the base in the dock and no worry. 

Yes I’ve already found that to be an issue when asking for a rough quote to jet wash and black. The boatyard I’d like to use, said they’re not set up to do V hull Springers. 

On 28/06/2023 at 11:00, MtB said:

I'm making no comment about whether I'm a millionaire or not, but there are a few on this forum I can think of! 

Hudson owners?  :)

Edited by mark99

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/06/2023 at 19:56, Kris9128 said:

Evening all. Due to a change of circumstances, I'm looking at becoming a continuous cruiser. 

Currently looking a boat options. There's plenty of springers up at the moment but have been reading some horror stories about them. Mainly poor steel and issues with overplating.

Are they really as bad as the stories out there or are they a good starting point. 

Any advice/comments would be greatly appreciated.  

Thanks, kris 

Hi Kris, I think it might help a lot if you can outline your approx budget, bearing in mind that maybe 10-15% of that total budget will have to be set aside for fixes and tweaks after you buy the boat. It may be that you don't need to focus on Springers so much.