Moorings which allow you to rent your boat out .

KEVIN121C

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, KEVIN121C said:

Hello All,

Can anyone recommend a boat mooring or Marina which allow you to rent your own boat out from in the West Midlands area or as close to as possible please .

Welcome to the forum.

I presume you are aware of this:

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/go-boating/a-guide-to-boating/living-on-a-boat/renting-a-boat-to-live-on

The canals in the W Midlands will be Canal River Trust run and pretty much any mooring site is going to insist on your boat meeting these criteria, not just CaRT run sites.

2 hours ago, KEVIN121C said:

Hello All,

Can anyone recommend a boat mooring or Marina which allow you to rent your own boat out from in the West Midlands area or as close to as possible please .

Depends if you mean rent it out informally as a long term residence, or hire it out for self-drive holidays as a commercial enterprise. 

There are reams of regulations and requirements to do either, fully legit. Plenty are let out informally but it's one helluva risk. For a start, imagine one month the rent doesn't arrive in your bank so you go and visit your tenant, and find the boat is gone. What now? 

21 minutes ago, Paul C said:

I imagine most marinas who don't already run a hire fleet would be happy to take one on, given its a bit of a cash cow for them.

You will find that some marinas WITH a hire fleet, and some hire companies take suitable private boats into their fleets on a lease hire basis, operating them for the season unless you want to use it for your holidays. Obviously, they need to know your planned holiday dates before the season bookings start.

Rent and hire are treated the same as far as licensing requirements go.

I am guessing but I suspect a subset of marinas/moorings who are happy to host a hireboat would also be happy with a static rented boat.

OP should confirm etc

17 hours ago, KEVIN121C said:

Hello All,

Why don't you just cut to the chase and ask CRT for their advice on what you need to do to comply with their requirements. That way, at least you shouldn't have any issues with such as insurance requirements, CRT licence requirements etc. It might also be useful to ask your marina of choice what their views are.

You may get many different views on this forum and at least you will know what the official view is, and whether what you are proposing is possible or not..

Howard

58 minutes ago, howardang said:

Why don't you just cut to the chase and ask CRT for their advice on what you need to do to comply with their requirements. That way, at least you shouldn't have any issues with such as insurance requirements, CRT licence requirements etc. It might also be useful to ask your marina of choice what their views are.

You may get many different views on this forum and at least you will know what the official view is, and whether what you are proposing is possible or not..

Howard

That is not however, what the OP asked about. 

To answer his actual question, we need clarification about which he means. A self-drive hire boat or rent it out as an AirBnB or someone's home. 

I certainly would not accept any AirBnB boat at our site. Any mooring contract would be with the owner, but if it is let out there is no effective control over the occupants. I suspect that would be the common view of most mooring owners.

Tam

1 minute ago, Tam & Di said:

I certainly would not accept any AirBnB boat at our site. Any mooring contract would be with the owner, but if it is let out there is no effective control over the occupants. I suspect that would be the common view of most mooring owners.

Tam

But unless the owner told you, would you know? No tell no see is the same principle some boaters use for residential moorings, I'd be surprised if this was any different...

It would be pretty obvious to any marina owner who visited his site regularly. Casting a blind eye over someone living on board is one thing, but accepting an AirBnB situation would be altogether different.

Just now, Tam & Di said:

It would be pretty obvious to any marina owner who visited his site regularly. Casting a blind eye over someone living on board is one thing, but accepting an AirBnB situation would be altogether different.

And I'm sure that's your stance as a principled site owner. Maybe others are not so scrupulous so long as the mooring fees keep coming in -- if the truth ever comes to light they can always claim ignorance...

“I'm shocked, shocked, to find that gambling is going on in here."

3 hours ago, Tam & Di said:

Tam

And if a marina owner is willing to accept AirBnB then it would make more sense for them to buy a boat for the purpose and operate it themselves, to retain control and a bigger share of the takings.

3 hours ago, MtB said:

That is not however, what the OP asked about. 

To answer his actual question, we need clarification about which he means. A self-drive hire boat or rent it out as an AirBnB or someone's home. 

Very true, I was just trying to be helpful and possibly save the OP a waste of his time if it happens that he was thinking of renting out to earn an income, not realising that there may be some hurdles to jump which may put him off. 

Howard

Edited by howardang
  • Greenie 1