Waterways Route Maps on Ipad

steve.sharratt

Featured Posts

I purchased the QCT version of the Warterways Routes some time ago, but the required software (Memory-Map) trial finished and I didn’t bother paying for a subscription.  I don’t like using the PDF version on my iPad so I thought I would give it another go.  Does anyone know how to get the maps onto Memory Map for iPad.  The software is terrible and they want £20 for it. The instructions are all 10 years old and still refer to PC’s and iTunes. I have neither.  Before I bin my maps permanently, does anyone know how to load maps directly to the iPad?

On 20/06/2023 at 19:09, steve.sharratt said:

I purchased the QCT version of the Warterways Routes some time ago, but the required software (Memory-Map) trial finished and I didn’t bother paying for a subscription.  I don’t like using the PDF version on my iPad so I thought I would give it another go.  Does anyone know how to get the maps onto Memory Map for iPad.  The software is terrible and they want £20 for it. The instructions are all 10 years old and still refer to PC’s and iTunes. I have neither.  Before I bin my maps permanently, does anyone know how to load maps directly to the iPad?

So what do you have? Where do the .qct files reside?

If we know what equipment you have other than the iPad it makes it easier to find a method of file transfer ;) 

1 hour ago, midnight cowboy said:

Why bother if it’s that old and awful?  I use the canal maps app and nick Atty’s excellent ac canal plan website

The maps are good.  It’s the software that runs it that is the problem. 

51 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

So what do you have? Where do the .qct files reside?

If we know what equipment you have other than the iPad it makes it easier to find a method of file transfer ;) 

I have an iPad.  I don’t have any other computer.  Hence the instruction to use iTunes doesn’t work for me.

24 minutes ago, steve.sharratt said:

I have an iPad.  I don’t have any other computer.  Hence the instruction to use iTunes doesn’t work for me.

So where are the .qct files? If they are on the iPad but in a different place than you want them, some form of file explorer app may be what you need to manipulate them to where they need to go. Pretty sure i got some .qct of canals in restoration with my PDF versions of Waterway Routes that i can play with so i'm willing to have a poke on my iPad and help. Or are the files on DVD like my PDF version (problem) or a digital download link?

1 hour ago, Hudds Lad said:

So where are the .qct files? If they are on the iPad but in a different place than you want them, some form of file explorer app may be what you need to manipulate them to where they need to go. Pretty sure i got some .qct of canals in restoration with my PDF versions of Waterway Routes that i can play with so i'm willing to have a poke on my iPad and help. Or are the files on DVD like my PDF version (problem) or a digital download link?

I have the files on the iPad and I know where they are.  The problem is that Memory Map doesn’t let me access the location.  Not at least, as far as I can find.

I grabbed both Memory-Map and the newer Memory-Map For All apps onto my iPad, straight downloads from the App Store with no payment involved.

Memory-Map: i can find no way of accessing a 3rd party map without iTunes adding it to the app first, they just do not appear and there's no way to change directory location that i can find. I don't have iTunes installed anywhere so can't test further.

Memory-Map For All: i can easily see the files i want on the iPad, but they are greyed-out, which suggests they are not seen as legit and you possibly have to upgrade to the "Navigator" option (not 100% on this as the MM website is awful) which seems to be $50 :( There's still no guarantee this will work with 3rd-party .qct files, and is an expensive way to find out.

From what i can gather they had lots of problems with piracy a few years back so locked it up tighter than a gnat's chuff from an Apple perspective.

Android platforms being more like the wild west for apps have many options other than Memory-Map it seems to use .qct files.

Sorry i can't help further :( 

You could always try contacting Paul Balmer of Waterway Routes direct and asking him

10 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

I grabbed both Memory-Map and the newer Memory-Map For All apps onto my iPad, straight downloads from the App Store with no payment involved.

Memory-Map: i can find no way of accessing a 3rd party map without iTunes adding it to the app first, they just do not appear and there's no way to change directory location that i can find. I don't have iTunes installed anywhere so can't test further.

Memory-Map For All: i can easily see the files i want on the iPad, but they are greyed-out, which suggests they are not seen as legit and you possibly have to upgrade to the "Navigator" option (not 100% on this as the MM website is awful) which seems to be $50 :( There's still no guarantee this will work with 3rd-party .qct files, and is an expensive way to find out.

From what i can gather they had lots of problems with piracy a few years back so locked it up tighter than a gnat's chuff from an Apple perspective.

Android platforms being more like the wild west for apps have many options other than Memory-Map it seems to use .qct files.

Sorry i can't help further :( 

You could always try contacting Paul Balmer of Waterway Routes direct and asking him

Thanks for trying.  I was advised by Paul not to use the MM for All as it had problems.  Unfortunately he doesn’t know anything about Apple product and doesn’t seem interested in finding out.  It’s a shame as his maps are the best in terms of navigation.  Oh well, I’ll write it off as a near miss and find something else.

I have Memory Maps on my iPad, and recently downloaded an updated Waterway Routes map.  As far as I recall, I didn’t need to do anything to get it on there — I just went to the layers icon in the bottom left corner, tapped on Maps on My Device, and selected the WR one.

17 hours ago, adam1uk said:

I have Memory Maps on my iPad, and recently downloaded an updated Waterway Routes map.  As far as I recall, I didn’t need to do anything to get it on there — I just went to the layers icon in the bottom left corner, tapped on Maps on My Device, and selected the WR one.

I suspect as you already had an active file it switched automatically to the new version.  I have tried everything - I will have to wait until the end of the cruising season and see if my old MacBook can get it going.  Otherwise its just the PDFs for me.

Why don't you just email me at paul (at) waterwayroutes (dot) co (dot) uk with details of your order so I can find your record and help.  That's the easiest and most accurate way to get help quickly.

You need to load the "Memory-Map App first, then click on the link in your order email and it will load automatically.  If your download link has expired then let me know.  It's unfortunate, but I have to make the links expire as some naughty customers post them on the internet and the whole world starts downloading my maps for free until the link expires.

I produce the maps as a hobby and, as many others on this forum have said, these are the most up to date and accurate maps available.  I produce the FREE maps for over 50 restoration projects and sell maps for the open waterways to make those free rather than putting lots of money into my pocket.

I know a lot about maps and waterways, but not much about the App, but don't need to as the download link will load the maps automatically.  That's why I don't spend lots of time and money investigating different types of phones, they all load the maps the same way.

As for referring to old maps - they come with monthly updates, free for the first 6 months, then a greatly discounted price to update after that.  Anyone who has my maps can update to the latest version if they just email me with their details.  Nobody should be using an old version of my maps when monthly updates are available.

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
Email address obscured a bit by a moderator.
  • Greenie 3

On 22/06/2023 at 15:37, steve.sharratt said:

I have the files on the iPad and I know where they are.  The problem is that Memory Map doesn’t let me access the location.  Not at least, as far as I can find.

Memory maps should find all maps on device