What to do about aggressive cyclists

LadyG

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, IanD said:

What you have posted is pretty much the classic definition -- someone who is unable to empathise with other people, doesn't care what happens to them so long as they get what they want, and is emotionally unaffected by things like people dying as a result.

I'm not going to reply any more to somebody whose morality I find both disturbing and disgusting.

Maybe stick to the day job and leave off the amateur psychiatry?

Thats OK with me.

I just don't want bikes on the towpath.

Early on I found that your suggestion that getting them off the towpaths would kill a lot of people was rather silly. You raised statistics which would demonstrate that a lot of people would die if bikes were not allowed on towpaths. For me this is where it got ridiculous. 

It was mildly humorous at times but perhaps this was not the intention.

Maybe the cycling thing hasa far higher psychological load than I was previously aware of. 

24 minutes ago, IanD said:

Of course keeping pedestrians, cyclists and cars separate is a good thing in an ideal world. Meanwhile, back in the real world -- especially in the UK -- how do you suggest this might be done, and where would the money (and space) come from?

I am pointing out, possibly a little too subtly, that compared to the numbers of cyclists on towpaths those on the road already outnumber them by hundreds of times.   Possibly there would be a few more deaths, however, if cyclists didn't "undertake" (go up the inside of vehicles) the number of deaths would reduce.

Incidentally, 111 deaths out of the thousands of road cyclists isn't a terribly high proportion.  There are approximately 6,500,000 cyclists in the UK.

It is also worth noting that while cyclist fatalities are decreasing the numbers grew by 62%

25 minutes ago, magnetman said:

This is obviously desirable given the speed differential.

It seems to be the speed differential which makes those who feel roads are too dodgy to ride want to be where they are the fastest, to the detriment of pedestrians.

It is basic risk transfer behaviour. 

No rocket science here. It is a natural instinct to look after ones own safety. 

Something which needs to be taken into account here is the car driver mentality problem. 

Cars have been around a while. Lets say a hundred yars. Roads get built. These roads either specifically disallow pedestrians or have dedicated areas with raised sections called "pavements". This is all good in theory. Problem is that you get the car driver mentality kicking in which is where the road is for the car. 

You then put these people who have been conditioned with the car driver mentality (not many 100 yar old cyclists about) and let them loose on a surfaced path which is shared with other people. 

Some of them. and it is known to be a significant minority, do not have the brain power to understand what has happened. They still think that due to their higher speed they have a right of way. Physically they are less likely to be injured if a collision occurs with a pedestrian so they can take more risks. 

This is a problem because it is the thick people in charge. Whenever thick people get in charge of a situation there will be significant negative outcomes.

23 minutes ago, M_JG said:

Maybe stick to the day job and leave off the amateur psychiatry?

Maybe people shouldn't make such repugnant posts which make other people think they're sick -- are you seriously defending what he wrote?

4 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Incidentally, 111 deaths out of the thousands of road cyclists isn't a terribly high proportion.  There are approximately 6,500,000 cyclists in the UK.

any towpath cyclist deaths?

if only LadyG were a bit

more accurate with her stick throwing we could have had one. 

maybe boaters could chalk up the kills on the bow of their boat. Like what fighter pilots do. 

people walking with coffee is wrong. Surprised it’s not an health and safety issue. Why can’t they wait til they get home for a coffee. And where do they buy them? You can be out in the sticks and a couple will walk by with coffees. 
If cyclists and coffee drinkers were to collide there’d be a mess. 

19 minutes ago, Jerra said:

I am pointing out, possibly a little too subtly, that compared to the numbers of cyclists on towpaths those on the road already outnumber them by hundreds of times.   Possibly there would be a few more deaths, however, if cyclists didn't "undertake" (go up the inside of vehicles) the number of deaths would reduce.

It is also worth noting that while cyclist fatalities are decreasing the numbers grew by 62%

It seems to be the speed differential which makes those who feel roads are too dodgy to ride want to be where they are the fastest, to the detriment of pedestrians.

So that's "blame the cyclists for them dying" is it -- ignoring that most of the deaths are found at inquests to be the fault of the driver?

Some cyclists do ride like idiots and must bear responsibility for accidents -- but many are perfectly innocent and killed by inattentive and unobservative drivers, especially trucks.

Not my opinion, facts 😞

Edited by IanD

2 minutes ago, Goliath said:

any towpath cyclist deaths?

Being the fastest thing on the towpath and the pedestrians they hit being softer than metal I doubt it.  Pedestrians have died after being hit by a cyclist on a towpath e.g. an elderly lady on an Oxford towpath I think last year.

28 minutes ago, magnetman said:

It was mildly humorous at times but perhaps this was not the intention.

It’s been highly hilarious reading through the last few pages. 

1 minute ago, Jerra said:

Being the fastest thing on the towpath and the pedestrians they hit being softer than metal I doubt it.  Pedestrians have died after being hit by a cyclist on a towpath e.g. an elderly lady on an Oxford towpath I think last year.

That’s shocking, I didn’t know that. 

7 hours ago, Jerra said:

Speaking as a bona fide paid up old person who is sometimes pushing my brother in a wheelchair I am afraid we walk where it is easiest and possible to get the chair.   Sorry if you feel he should be confined to barracks but I don't agree.

You have 2 paths, 1 for people, 1 for bikes, fairly easy for anyone to understand i would have thought. If you push a wheelchair on a cycle path when the pedestrian path is alongside then this is what causes problems. Do you walk along the motorway because it is easiest?

Edited by Mike Hurley
Multiple posting.

2 minutes ago, Mike Hurley said:

You have 2 paths, 1 for people, 1 for bikes, fairly easy for anyone to understand i would have thought. If you push a wheelchair on a cycle path when the pedestrian path is alongside then this is what causes problems. Do you walk along a motorway just because it is easiest?

You have 2 paths, 1 for people, 1 for bikes, fairly easy for anyone to understand i would have thought. If you push a wheelchair on a cycle path when the pedestrian path is alongside then this is what causes problems. Do you walk along a motorway just because it is easiest?

More often we’re sharing the same towpath. There’s possibly only a few city towpaths with two lanes. 

10 minutes ago, Goliath said:

It’s been highly hilarious reading through the last few pages. 

That’s shocking, I didn’t know that. 

I'm glad you think that it's hilarious when somebody shrugs off the deaths of other people as being of no consequence... 😞

7 minutes ago, Goliath said:

More often we’re sharing the same towpath. There’s possibly only a few city towpaths with two lanes. 

Agreed but i dont live in UK, same problem exists everywhere, you just have to be careful, everyone. I cycle, i ride a motorbike, i have a car and i walk a lot so i see it from all sides but if 1 lane is marked for bikes and 1 for people then keep to your side, easy or what?

• Greenie 1

So that's "blame the cyclists for them dying" is it -- ignoring that most of the deaths are found at inquests to be the fault of the driver?

Reference please.   The documents I have been reading put the blame equally between drivers and cyclists.   But only an idiot would think undertaking was acceptable.

Some cyclists do ride like idiots and must bear responsibility for accidents -- but many are perfectly innocent and killed by inattentive and unobservative drivers, especially trucks.

Nobody other than you has said this isn't the case.   As I have said above the documents I am reading splits the blame between cyclists (e.g. inattention, silly manoeuvers etc ) and motorists.,

Not my opinion, facts 😞

19 minutes ago, Mike Hurley said:

You have 2 paths, 1 for people, 1 for bikes, fairly easy for anyone to understand i would have thought. If you push a wheelchair on a cycle path when the pedestrian path is alongside then this is what causes problems. Do you walk along the motorway because it is easiest?

Strangely it isn't easiest.   I take it you aren't aged or infirm, you may be one day.  Then you might understand.

33 minutes ago, IanD said:

Maybe people shouldn't make such repugnant posts which make other people think they're sick -- are you seriously defending what he wrote?

You (nor I) are simply not qualified to suggest someone is sick or unwell on the basis of an internet posting.

I find his position rather bewildering rather than the product of somebody who is sick.

Edited by M_JG

7 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Strangely it isn't easiest.   I take it you aren't aged or infirm, you may be one day.  Then you might understand.

Im 65 if that helps and i ride my bike on the cycle paths not on pedestrian bits.

37 minutes ago, Goliath said:

people walking with coffee is wrong. Surprised it’s not an health and safety issue. Why can’t they wait til they get home for a coffee. And where do they buy them? You can be out in the sticks and a couple will walk by with coffees. 

Off the roving trader coffee boats, obviously.  Should be encouraged ...

17 minutes ago, IanD said:

I'm glad you think that it's hilarious when somebody shrugs off the deaths of other people as being of no consequence... 😞

mmm.. did they 🤔

I recall indifference but not a statement of no consequence. 

But 🤷‍♀️ 

to be honest it’s the oddity of your responses I find funny, and the idea you don’t find the oddity of your responses funny is even funnier. 

2 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Off the roving trader coffee boats, obviously.  Should be encouraged ...

…ok, I can go along with that, 👍

• Greenie 1

20 minutes ago, Jerra said:

50 minutes ago, IanD said:

Not my opinion, facts 😞

As an ex truck driver it is impossible to see every angle of vision from the cab. If you need to make a turn and you take up both lanes and are indicating your intention to turn and some idiot parks on your rear axle then they will get pancaked, easy to blame someone else for your stupidity.

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Mike Hurley said:

As an ex truck driver it is impossible to see every angle of vision from the cab. If you need to make a turn and you take up both lanes and are indicating your intention to turn and some idiot parks on your rear axle then they will get pancaked, easy to blame someone else for your stupidity.

Ive noticed a lot of new units are now fitted with rear view cameras rather than mirrors which presumably improves rearward vision considerably?

5 minutes ago, M_JG said:

Ive noticed a lot of new units are now fitted with rear view cameras rather than mirrors which presumably improves rearward vision considerably?

I'm amazed they are allowed to do this. Surely you want a mirror and a camera or is it part of the drive towards autonomous vehicles. 

I think they have made changes to trucks to improve visibility, and indicators along the side it's not always the cyclist who is riding up the inside, the cyclist may be stopped at a traffic light when a lorry comes alongside with the intention of left turn, rather than sitting behind cyclist he has to go forward to make the turn.