Waternav

Turbobert

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Turbobert said:

I know there has been a problem in the past with IPad/iPhone access but I still can’t access.  Doesn’t load.  Any ideas?

I think this may be in the wrong section. I think this one is for problems etc. with the forum. I will ask a mod to move it if they think it is neccessary.

It's always been a bit unreliable I think? In all fairness even with BW maps, open canal map and Nicholson's it's still pot luck.

In relation to your question, it Is likely a iOS update has made it incompatible. This happened on my iPad but sorted itself after a few weeks.

18 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Why ?

What has a problem with someone acessing his Apple device got to do with 'General Boating' ?

It is a canal navigation app. I don't think there is a problem accessing his iPhone, the problem is getting the app to work. I think it is the RCR one.

16 hours ago, Adam said:

It's always been a bit unreliable I think? In all fairness even with BW maps, open canal map and Nicholson's it's still pot luck.

In relation to your question, it Is likely a iOS update has made it incompatible. This happened on my iPad but sorted itself after a few weeks.

Such a shame as when I bought the original app it worked fine and was very useful.  

I’ve just checked on my iPad Air 2 with IOS 15.7.3, which is up to date, and WaterNav v 1.6.3.

Seems to be working fine.

Personally, I’ve found the the reworked version by RCR to be pretty reliable.

Edited by gbclive

1 minute ago, gbclive said:

I’ve just checked on my iPad Air 2 with IOS 15.7.3, which is up to date, and Water Nav v 1.6.3.

Seems to be working fine.

Personally, I’ve found the the reworked version by CRT to be pretty reliable.

Interesting.  I reloaded the app but no joy.  My software is up to date too.  I’ll look into the CRT reworked version.  Thanks

1 hour ago, Turbobert said:

Interesting.  I reloaded the app but no joy.  My software is up to date too.  I’ll look into the CRT reworked version.  Thanks

Sorry, I’ve edited my reply to correct the reference I made to CRT, should have been RCR.

As you know, the original app stopped working a number of years ago after an IOS update and the app icons are very similar.

A slightly different shade of blue and a slightly larger W on the newer version.

It took RCR about a year to re-write the code and then some further time to debug, but they do seem to react to issues that are reported.

• 10 months later...

RCR have updated WaterNav, still free from their site. On android it now runs in dark mode and shows stoppage information, the latter unfortunately in huge red icons that don't minimise as you zoom out so they block everything else. Otherwise seems an improvement. With luck they'll get enough feedback so it ends up as good as the old eCanal maps.

2 hours ago, Turbobert said:

Thanks Arthur.  I’ll give it a go.

If you do, send them feedback about the icon size and the fact that it doesn't store your choice of POIs (& anything else you spot, obviously !) . It does seem like it's still in development, quite a few bits say "coming soon" so there's a chance of improvement.

• 3 weeks later...

The WaterNav map on Android has now been updated. The very large and blocky icons still disappear as soon as you zoom instead of reducing, which is annoying, but there's a switch to turn off all the stoppage notices and it retains your choices of POIs, so you don't have the whole thing obscured by billiard halls, cinemas and other nonsense.

Unfortunately, it no longer shows locks. At all. Which is, it must be said, a bit of a programming lapse.

I can't understand why, with the excellent example of the old now unsupported eCanal maps to look at, this is being such a mess. Nor how this can be bunged out with so little checking. Maybe the Apple version works properly and they just don't care about Android users.

ETA it doesn't show tunnels, either. I've sent feedback.

Edited by Arthur Marshall

28 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

The WaterNav map on Android has now been updated. The very large and blocky icons still disappear as soon as you zoom instead of reducing, which is annoying, but there's a switch to turn off all the stoppage notices and it retains your choices of POIs, so you don't have the whole thing obscured by billiard halls, cinemas and other nonsense.

Unfortunately, it no longer shows locks. At all. Which is, it must be said, a bit of a programming lapse.

I can't understand why, with the excellent example of the old now unsupported eCanal maps to look at, this is being such a mess. Nor how this can be bunged out with so little checking. Maybe the Apple version works properly and they just don't care about Android users.

ETA it doesn't show tunnels, either. I've sent feedback.

Does WaterNav offer something that opencanalmap (which seems to work quite well) doesn't?

It's supposed to work off line, same as the old eCanal maps did. Being of luddite tendencies, I had no internet on the boat until two years ago. It also should link seamlessly to RCR so they can find you, and post stoppage info as soon as CRT announce it. The eCanal ones had a built in log which was useful. As in all progress, WaterNav is a step for the worse.

I remember Arthur Bray climbing off the back of Raymond (rivetted iPhone in hand) muttering about technology.
"How the hell was he ..." complaining loudly " ... expected to find his way to The Jam 'Ole now?"

1 hour ago, IanD said:

Does WaterNav offer something that opencanalmap (which seems to work quite well) doesn't?

I think the big difference is that WaterNav can be downloaded in advance with necessary data and thus works offline, whereas I believe opencanalmap requires an internet connection to work? But I may have got that wrong😏.

5 minutes ago, gbclive said:

I think the big difference is that WaterNav can be downloaded in advance with necessary data and thus works offline, whereas I believe opencanalmap requires an internet connection to work? But I may have got that wrong😏.

opencanalmap definitely needs an internet connection, at least if you want to move off the map it's currently displaying, and this isn't ideal given the sometimes poor cellular coverage on the canals.