Towpath works Staffs and Worc.

PaulD

Featured Posts

Just now, ditchcrawler said:

I cant quote the comment I wanted to as the thread is locked

When would you suggest the work is done, in the winter when its all waterlogged?

When do almost all the other planned canal works get done as a rule....

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Both works were originally planned to be done in winter but have been delayed. 

20 minutes ago, matty40s said:

That's for work that obstructs the navigation channel mostly, towpath and/or bankside only works don't have the same restrictions and that's evident with things like the Rugeley work mentioned above. Brades bottom lock had no direct boaters access by foot from above at all last autumn. You had to put the boat in the jaws and jump off.

Speaking as someone who regularly passes through Tixall wide but rarely if ever moors there I'm actually looking forward to encountering it devoid of boats.

However I think the clue may be in the description 'visitor moorings'. Of which from memory there is nothing official between Milford bridge and Great Haywood.

Edited by Captain Pegg

2 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

However I think the clue may be in the description 'visitor moorings'. Of which from memory there is nothing official between Milford bridge and Great Haywood.

yes, I have a suspicion they’ll become 48hr moorings, or at least a reduction on the 14 day we currently have. 

passing by this winter several times, I still see it’s reasonably popular to moor there. 

The work around Fradley is part of HS2 phase 1 and has not been delayed. However Phase 2 starts on the Northern side of the T&M just above Shadehouse Lock so it is concievable that the towpath closure may not go ahead. 

The work at the side of Wood End Lock is to allow HS2 to join up with the West Coast Mainline at Handsacre. Highly unlikely to be cancelled. It is also part of phase 1.

5 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

5 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I cant quote the comment I wanted to as the thread is locked

When would you suggest the work is done, in the winter when its all waterlogged?

How about March / April as originally planned according to the notice?

Edited by Midnight

1 hour ago, Cheshire cat said:

The top end of Phase 1 is being mothballed as well as phase 2

That would be bizarre. The whole point of including the section up to Handsacre in Phase 1 was so that trains from London to the northwest and Scotland could run at high speed to North of Birmingham before joining the existing route. Otherwise they will be stuck on the existing WCML, without the benefit of the time savings of HS2 Phase 1. Neither will so many WCML paths be released for freight or local passenger services.

Michael Fabricant is right to ask for clarification.

I was at the boat today which is amongst all this HR2 work. There was still plenty of activity happening on the cutting which will take HS2 under the WCML and the A38 at Streethay. This is only 2Km south of the road which according to Lichfield Today has a sign up saying the work has been deferred.

It might be that they need to get the cutting in to a state where it is safe to be left for a couple of years but I'm sure there was activity on other earthworks down towards Whittington.

As regards the closure at Tixall, there are visitor moorings between the end of the Anglo Welsh linear moorings and Swivel Bridge (Bridge 108)