New Engine

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, The Wind Lass said:

Any recommendations for someone to fit a new engine in a narrowboat near to Derby? 

Edit: the boat will be near Manchester/Sheffield

4 minutes ago, MtB said:

Cue ten pages of posts asking why not repair the existing engine...

:)

Anyway, why not repair your existing engine?

It’s not the repairable type…doesn’t go tut, tut, tut. Should have been retired when it was taken out of a lorry 30 years ago. 😕 

5 minutes ago, The Wind Lass said:

It’s not the repairable type…doesn’t go tut, tut, tut. Should have been retired when it was taken out of a lorry 30 years ago. 😕 

Has it run out of diesel perhaps?

More seriously though, what make and model engine is coming out and what make and model engine do you have in mind fitting?

Or don't you care that much, just need it to go tut tut tut...?

1 minute ago, MtB said:

Has it run out of diesel perhaps?

More seriously though, what make and model engine is coming out and what make and model engine do you have in mind fitting?

Or don't you care that much, just need it to go tut tut tut...?

The tut, tut, tut is the sound a Lister makes (at least to me). Current engine is Perkins. It’s in really bad shape and I knew that when I bought the boat. I’m interested in a new, reliable engine. Assumably one made in Asia but Im open to possibilities. Issue at hand is finding someone skilled and willing. 

If you can get it to the river Soar in Leicestershire Sileby Mill Boatyard would be able to do it but be aware a new engine is going to cost you several thousand pounds. Its not just the engine but alterations to the engine beds, electrics control paneletc

Try talking to Richard Powell @rlwp who posts on this forum about your old one - you may be pleasantly surprised about what could be do to sort out your existing one.

2 minutes ago, Richard T said:

If you can get it to the river Soar in Leicestershire Sileby Mill Boatyard would be able to do it but be aware a new engine is going to cost you several thousand pounds. Its not just the engine but alterations to the engine beds, electrics control paneletc

Try talking to Richard Powell @rlwp who posts on this forum about your old one - you may be pleasantly surprised about what could be do to sort out your existing one.

Richard, thanks for the recommendation. I think that won’t be possible as I’ll now be up in the Peak District, so about a weeks drive away. Know anyone near there? 

I did budget a substantial sum to replace the engine. Surveyor gave me an estimate. 

2 minutes ago, dmr said:

What engine is it?

There is a bloke who works at or is associated with the little "marina" at Portland basin who has a good reputation locally.

There’s a Perkins 4107 in there now. I’m thinking about a Beta replacement but am open to other possibilities 

Just now, The Wind Lass said:

There’s a Perkins 4107 in there now. I’m thinking about a Beta replacement but am open to other possibilities 

Is that like a 4108?  A friend had one rebuilt a couple of years but very recently had a little problem and found that some parts are very very difficult to get.

Unless you are fond of that engine and a hands on engine person then a new Beta is probably a good idea.

I can't remember the name of the Portland bloke, but if that area fits in with your plans I could find out, or maybe just phone them.

FWIW the 4-107 is a wet liner engine (as long as it is not a 4-108) so if it is worn bores it is not such a problem, now cylinder machining required. Complete overhaul kits £375 at https://www.parts4engines.com/perkins-4-107-engine-overhaul-kit/

That includes big end and main bearings sized to suit your crankshaft that may have to be reground.

However, I accept that you may not feel comfortable with a rebuilt engine, but it would save problems with cutting and/or packing the engine beds to suit the new engine.

I don't know if the Bukh agents at New Mills marina would take and engine change or overhaul on, but they seem good chaps.

Edited by Tony Brooks

1 minute ago, dmr said:

Is that like a 4108?  A friend had one rebuilt a couple of years but very recently had a little problem and found that some parts are very very difficult to get.

Unless you are fond of that engine and a hands on engine person then a new Beta is probably a good idea.

I can't remember the name of the Portland bloke, but if that area fits in with your plans I could find out, or maybe just phone them.

The 4107 is the previous model so even more difficult to get parts. Plus every gasket is leaking oil. I would be very grateful if you could find out his name. That is the area I’ll be near. 

1 minute ago, The Wind Lass said:

The 4107 is the previous model so even more difficult to get parts. Plus every gasket is leaking oil. I would be very grateful if you could find out his name. That is the area I’ll be near. 

I am not trying to dissuade you going for a new engine, but the oil leaks could well be simply that the crankcase breather is blocked if it still starts well from cold and makes no horrible banging noises.

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

FWIW the 4-107 is a wet liner engine (as long as it is not a 4-108) so if it is worn bores it is not such a problem, now cylinder machining required. Complete overhaul kits £375 at https://www.parts4engines.com/perkins-4-107-engine-overhaul-kit/

That includes big end and main bearings sized to suit your crankshaft that may have to be reground.

However, I accept that you may not feel comfortable with a rebuilt engine, but it would save problems with cutting and/or packing the engine beds to suit the new engine.

I don't know if the Bukh agents at New Mills marina would take and engine change or overhaul on, but they seem good chaps.

That’s interesting info and something to keep in mind. Do you mean there are engineers at New Mills Marina? 

Just now, The Wind Lass said:

That’s interesting info and something to keep in mind. Do you mean there are engineers at New Mills Marina? 

T W Marine. I may have the marina wrong.

The Marina, Station Road, Furness Vale, SK23 7QA, England

Tel: 01663 745757
Email: tech@twmarine.co.uk

Worth a phone call.

17 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I have replied but the  mods need to approve it for some reason.

Its now showing. I guess the forum software flagged it as an ad.

26 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

Done - but can't work out why your first post needed approval but not your second! 

I think because the "paste" of contact details contained more characters/lines than the accompanying message. As it was approved so quickly, I don't see it as a problem if it helps stop spam.

This is just a thought, but maybe worth a mention: the 'entry-level' 38bhp engines by beta and canaline come as standard with alternators that are not capable of producing high charging currents over a long period.

My domestic alternator is officially rated as 100 amps, but over an hour of charging it can only put out 35 amps at tickover revs. Any more output than that means it overheats. The consequence is that you have to run the engine for hours each day to recharge batteries.

With a powerful alternator, and lithium batteries, you can do all your charging in one hour.

Now admittedly you only get the benefit of a powerful alternator if you do have lithium batteries, but more boaters are buying lithium because of the lower costs and much stronger performance than lead acid, when taken over the expected 10-15 years of life.  

So I would give some thought to the charging capability of the alternator that is proposed to come with the new engine.

If I were ordering a new engine, I would specify that they ditch the standard supplied alternator and install with a top quality model (I think Bosch and Iskra are pretty good for example), because that might be cheaper than replacing it further down the line when you go lithium, as most boaters will end up doing over the next 10-20 years.  

• Greenie 2