Liverpool, Salthouse Dock moorings.

Neil TNC

Featured Posts

On 20/04/2023 at 13:19, dmr said:

Wasn't somebody shot dead there a couple of years ago?

People have been shot dead in Knightsbridge. One high profile incident doesn't necessarily have any bearing on the social tensions or general safety of an area.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Grassman said:

When we did the Mersey into Liverpool in 2021 and booked the locking off the river at Brunswick Lock into Liverpool Marina, they asked if we wanted to stay there for a few nights at £60 a night! Having already pre-booked a week at Salthouse we obviously declined the offer.

Crikey, makes £15 sound like a bargain! Which, to be fair, is probably reasonable. Just adds up when one is accustomed to free canalside moorings.

4 hours ago, Ewan123 said:

Crikey, makes £15 sound like a bargain! Which, to be fair, is probably reasonable. Just adds up when one is accustomed to free canalside moorings.

£15 per night including electricity is not expensive. Many marinas charge more than that for visitor moorings. Get the washing machine to work overtime and leave the immersion on. We can run our Alde gas boiler on 3Kw of shore power instead of gas when we are on un-metered hook up. We did think of taking a winter mooring in Liverpool and saving all our heating costs. But we would have had to stay the full five months and didn't fancy it.

1 hour ago, Alway Swilby said:

We did think of taking a winter mooring in Liverpool and saving all our heating costs.

Expensive in anodes though!

I was speaking with a boater who got stuck in Salthouse after the end of their winter mooring a few years ago due to the lockdowns starting before the link opened.  They got an eye watering quote from the only crane on the dock, and ended up getting a diver to replace anodes in the water ...

Others who planned ahead switched to zinc anodes before being moored in brackish water for a planned five months!

5 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Expensive in anodes though!

I was speaking with a boater who got stuck in Salthouse after the end of their winter mooring a few years ago due to the lockdowns starting before the link opened.  They got an eye watering quote from the only crane on the dock, and ended up getting a diver to replace anodes in the water ...

Others who planned ahead switched to zinc anodes before being moored in brackish water for a planned five months!

Good point. Maybe not such a good idea after all.

19 hours ago, Ewan123 said:

That's the problem. It's like when the first time we booked a 3 days mooring in Little Venice, I was moaning about it to friends and family, and they pointed out that where else can you stay in the middle of London for £10 a night.

6 hours ago, Grassman said:

That's the problem. It's like when the first time we booked a 3 days mooring in Little Venice, I was moaning about it to friends and family, and they pointed out that where else can you stay in the middle of London for £10 a night.

Most places provide a clean bed, hot water and showering accessories for the money as well, they don't expect you to turn up with your own room for which you have already paid a grand to CRT for.  Mind you looking at it that way makes the CC surcharge look cheep   

• Happy 1

On 07/03/2024 at 17:26, Alway Swilby said:

£15 per night including electricity is not expensive. Many marinas charge more than that for visitor moorings. Get the washing machine to work overtime and leave the immersion on. We can run our Alde gas boiler on 3Kw of shore power instead of gas when we are on un-metered hook up. We did think of taking a winter mooring in Liverpool and saving all our heating costs. But we would have had to stay the full five months and didn't fancy it.

Good point, we just don't have any big electric things on board that would make it worth getting the shoreline cable out. We've already been solar-powered for nearly two weeks now with 400W of panels - even with a few hairdryer-uses!

• Greenie 3

I reckon CRT would go a long way to fixing their funding problems if they charged every boat moored on the general towpath £10 a night to moor. 

A bod walking or biking along the towpath noting each boat moored could rack up many hundreds of income for CRT every day, and there could be dozens if not hundreds of mooring bayliffs doing this every day.

£10 a night broadly equates to a home mooring fee of £3.5k. Boats actually with a home mooring would be exempt, obviously. 

Edited by MtB
Add a detail

10 hours ago, MtB said:

I reckon CRT would go a long way to fixing their funding problems if they charged every boat moored on the general towpath £10 a night to moor. 

A bod walking or biking along the towpath noting each boat moored could rack up many hundreds of income for CRT every day, and there could be dozens if not hundreds of mooring bayliffs doing this every day.

£10 a night broadly equates to a home mooring fee of £3.5k. Boats actually with a home mooring would be exempt, obviously. 

Just consolidate the surcharge into the fees for everyone?

On 08/03/2024 at 15:45, ditchcrawler said:

Most places provide a clean bed, hot water and showering accessories for the money as well, they don't expect you to turn up with your own room for which you have already paid a grand to CRT for.  Mind you looking at it that way makes the CC surcharge look cheep   

The Liverpool Hilton (30 yards and up a bit from where I usually moor in Salthouse Dock) charge around £200 a night.

The first time I went in, Sid was concerned there was something wrong with the free electric because I didn't bother plugging in. (CCer so not used to having mains hookup available.)

Some boaters apparently connect their shore power cable before their mooring lines!

I preferred free for a week, but £15 a night isn't unreasonable.