I could never live on land again, my boat was the best place I could have been in my life to recover from illness'

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

'I could never live on land again, my boat was the best place I could have been in my life to recover from illness' - Wales Online

Gerald who lives on his sea barge. His boat is moored at Penarth Marina.

One day you think you are on a set life path going in a certain direction and the next day there is a pivotal point where everything changes and you have a choice to make.

Gerald, age 56 and from Cardiff, hit a low point in his life and changed it into something incredible to mark this change in life direction - he bought a boat as his permanent, forever home, having never even driven one before.

And, unknown to him, saying goodbye to the land and hello to living on the water was going to help him through an even harder future chapter, recovering from a very serious illness, where his boat and the boating community were a "godsend".

Yes I have seen that in action. Used to know a couple. The man was not very well. Went to Doctor and was told he had 6 months to live. He chucked in his job, sold the house. He,his wife and son bought a narrowboat to live on. Years later he was told the Cancer was gone. 

• Greenie 2

7 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Yes I have seen that in action. Used to know a couple. The man was not very well. Went to Doctor and was told he had 6 months to live. He chucked in his job, sold the house. He,his wife and son bought a narrowboat to live on. Years later he was told the Cancer was gone. 

There is a lot we do not yet understand about out bodies and their capabilities.

23 minutes ago, Tonka said:

I know someone where the opposite happened, got cancer, less than a year to live, sold the boat and he is still with us 5 years later, now going on world cruises to get his boat fix.

Pointless speculating, you can't compare results between what happened and what might have happened, you will never know what would have happened if you had gone down a different, fictional, route in life.

The pivotal word is " if ", a little word with a big meaning to quote my old mum. 

• Greenie 2