Wootton Wawen aqueduct

Kingfisher4

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Used by the hire boat company to lift engines.

Or drop stop planks.

How does it work then? 

Are the two chain blocks either side involved? They don't appear to be connected in any way to the lifting eye in the middle...

Looks like with a suitable beam you could lift the stern of a narrow boat out. Maybe useful for clearing really bad prop fouls? 

One of my narrow boats which was 55ft was lifted out at Blisworth using 4 large chain tackles. 5 tonne each I think they were

4 hours ago, MtB said:

How does it work then? 

Are the two chain blocks either side involved? They don't appear to be connected in any way to the lifting eye in the middle...

I've always assumed it was for the hire fleet to work on their boats, no idea on its operation.

3 hours ago, MtB said:

Why would you need two chain blocks capable of lifting about three tonnes each to put in stop planks that weigh about 25kg each?

Two chain blocks, as the engine will be in the middle of the canal. Both hoists are used to lift up to a height above water, then the off side hoist is loosened, allowing the engine to swing to the bank side and be hauled in.

?

8 hours ago, Kingfisher4 said:

Any info on this structure at the end of the Wootton Wawen aqueduct?

8 hours ago, Rob-M said:

Used by the hire boat company to lift engines.

Or drop stop planks.

Got held up when in a hire boat by AW doing just that, engine, not stop planks. They were quite pissed off when we turned up and asked them to move.

• Greenie 1