GU Leicester Line - Have the locks north of Kibworth Top Lock on the Grand Union always been broad locks?

larrysanders

Featured Posts

Just interested to know why the section north of Kibworth Top Lock on the GU Leicester Line has broad locks?  Were they originally narrow and widened, or have they always been broad to accommodate Trent river craft?  I understand the GU was created as smaller canal companies merged - is this part of the reason?

Many thanks.  

I believe they have always been broad. It was built as a wide waterway to market Harborough from the north. 

There is more info here

https://www.old-union-canals.org/the-old-union-canals

edited. Drat!! Didn’t check previous posts!! 

there is a wealth of knowledge in the old union canal society. Well worth an email. 

Edited by frangar

3 hours ago, larrysanders said:

Just interested to know why the section north of Kibworth Top Lock on the GU Leicester Line has broad locks?  Were they originally narrow and widened, or have they always been broad to accommodate Trent river craft?  I understand the GU was created as smaller canal companies merged - is this part of the reason?

Many thanks.  

The answer is hear although it isn't exactly clear - 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_Soar

Keith

Short answer - Leicester to Market Harborough was the remnants of an unfinished canal that should have reached Northampton. It was intended to convey barges between the two river navigations. 

The route via Foxton and Watford was built later by a different company, for a variety of reasons it was built narrow, as was the Northampton branch of the Grand Junction. Thus the intended route was completed by other means but only for narrow boats.

I seem to recall that, when the Grand Junction took over the Foxton route (it wasn't built by them) there was a clause that if they ever widened the Northampton arm they would be required to widen the Foxton route too (or vice versa)

I'm not sure how much use was made of wide boats between Leicester and Market Harborough, if any.