Man rescued from sinking boat

nine9feet

Featured Posts

Just came across this article in the Evesham Journal which does not give much information so googled and found this Worcester News article which begins :

"A MAN was rescued in the nick of time from his sinking narrowboat last night.

The boat had got into trouble 400m downstream of Kempsey on the river Severn, and the man on-board was found desperately trying to bail the water out. Minutes after being plucked to safety the narrowboat had completely sunk."

What would you do if you found your boat sinking in somewhere like the River Severn? I don't think I would be attempting to bail out! :D

What would you do if you found your boat sinking in somewhere like the River Severn? I don't think I would be attempting to bail out! :D

One to two feet of water sounds rather a lot to be trying to bail out.

I haven't seen the Severn, but the Stour is well up, and after the weekend's rain I don't think I would want to be on the Severn in the first place.

That's got to be the oddest description for diesel in the world! Derv?....what is this.....derv?

Diesel Engined Road Vehicle! Not appropriate for boats really :D

Oh, The Avon's about four feet up in Bath. Some poor soul has chained their bike to the towpath railings... It won't be stolen but it might need a bit of oil when the water goes down!

A guy I know was towing a friend on the Thames. What they didn't realise was the weed hatch cover on the towed boat hadn't been replaced so it started taking on water at an alarming rate. Bloke on the towed vessel shouts to his friend to make for shallow water but, rather than risk his own boat, he dropped the tow.

Fortunately the weed hatch was replaced in time and nobody was hurt and nothing was damaged, except possibly a little bit of faith in one's friends.

Just to be pernickerty, Derv = White diesel, Gas Oil = Red diesel. If it's a slick they're worried about, it 'aint going to make much difference wether it's red or white. Unless they get to pay more tax for cleaning up white! :D

So to really confuse things, Derv is sometimes known in France as Gazzol! :D

Just to be pernickerty, Derv = White diesel, Gas Oil = Red diesel. If it's a slick they're worried about, it 'aint going to make much difference wether it's red or white. Unless they get to pay more tax for cleaning up white! :D

So to really confuse things, Derv is sometimes known in France as Gazzol! :D

It is actually the vehicle which is called a derv, not the fuel.

Also it is a fact of life that people who speak a different language have different names for things (it's gazole btw).

For some bizarre reason, obviously a malicious attempt to confuse the brits, they call petrol 'essence'.

Edited by carlt

A guy I know was towing a friend on the Thames. What they didn't realise was the weed hatch cover on the towed boat hadn't been replaced so it started taking on water at an alarming rate. Bloke on the towed vessel shouts to his friend to make for shallow water but, rather than risk his own boat, he dropped the tow.

Fortunately the weed hatch was replaced in time and nobody was hurt and nothing was damaged, except possibly a little bit of faith in one's friends.

Best thing to do is drop the tow. 2 boats sinking has got to be better than one!!

He is no good to his tow if he is also sunk, bit difficult to effect a rescue of the boater if you are in the same (rather wet) position :D

I disagree.

I would have put the tow on a quick release and made for the beach.

If she started to go down (i.e water coming into engine vents/over gunwhale), then cast her loose so as not to risk own vessel.

come round and prepare to pick up the crew.

Sounds like another example of why having a decent auto bilge pump and bilge alarm fitted can give early warning of impending doom and give a bit more time to locate the ingress source and attempt a patch,

or at least give you time to don the life jacket, deploy the life raft, press the distress button on your DSC VHF and set off a few flares for good measure :D

Sounds like another example of why having a decent auto bilge pump and bilge alarm fitted can give early warning of impending doom and give a bit more time to locate the ingress source and attempt a patch,

or at least give you time to don the life jacket, deploy the life raft, press the distress button on your DSC VHF and set off a few flares for good measure :D

I've just fitted a bilge pump monitor to the life boat, complete with connection to an auto-dialler so it rings me when it's sinking. Quite what use that is 150 miles away but it is a snazzy gadget.

I've just fitted a bilge pump monitor to the life boat, complete with connection to an auto-dialler so it rings me when it's sinking. Quite what use that is 150 miles away but it is a snazzy gadget.
Handy if you have a friend closer who you can ring to go check it out tho. Sounds like a great idea. Any more info on it Carl?
What I haven't seen yet in the reporting of this sad case is what was the cause of the boat sinking?
And what we havnt seen yet are some pics. Very sad indeed for the poor owner of the boat but you know us voyeurs, we love seeing the pics when summut goes wrong. Purely for educational purposes you understand.

Apparently, he called his 73- year-old father instead!!

Another hazzard to navigation.

"The boat, which is worth £16,000, is completely submerged and British Waterways has closed the river from Diglis to Upton-upon- Severn to all traffic because of the obstruction."

:D

The heart will start racing if it ever calls you :D

On a swinging Mooring i guess as a last resort you could always call the coast guard but they might not be impressed if its a false alarm.

Emblem does't take on any water at all execpt after the first hour at sea and then only through the stern tube which ive always suspected needs repacking but i scared meself so much by reading MAIB reports that i fitted a huge auto pump in addition to her 2 other pumps.

All gives a bit more peace of mind along with all the other items of her equipment i upgraded. Her new owner tells me he cant be doing with all those new fangled electric things.

O hum

Going back to the Derv bit, I do believe that the term relates to the fuel and simply indicates that it is tax paid and therefore suitable for road vehicles.

I got one of those auto dialing bilge detectors too, linked up to a movement detector and smoke detector also. Only £150 off e bay. The lower in the bilges you put it the longer you have to get there!

It is actually the vehicle which is called a derv, not the fuel.

Also it is a fact of life that people who speak a different language have different names for things (it's gazole btw).

For some bizarre reason, obviously a malicious attempt to confuse the brits, they call petrol 'essence'.

One of our drivers got into trouble with the boss once in Belgium, when he filled up his Mercedes van with the wrong fuel. His argument was that as it was a "Mercedes-Benz" he thought "benzine" was the right thing to use.

Tony