Stern gland issues

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Marko J said:

I don't know, this is rear section

propeler.jpg

It would be my guess that the third greaser is to lubricate the rear shaft bearing. I have come across on a number of older Dutch Barges. As I say it is only a guess as the photos don't show enough info.

Sounds like there is a bird stuck in there somewhere

I had a similar noise like a trapped bird on one of my BMC 1.5D engines and it turned out to be a dry rocker which had worn away the rocker shaft very badly. 

In this case it seems to be the stern tube but it is quite a similar noise. Of course this only happens in gear and my engine was squeaking in neutral. 

Sorry to wander off the topic a bit. 

Edited by magnetman

3 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Sounds like there is a bird stuck in there somewhere

I had a similar noise like a trapped bird on one of my BMC 1.5D engines and it turned out to be a dry rocker which had worn away the rocker shaft very badly. 

In this case it seems to be the stern tube but it is quite a similar noise. Of course this only happens in gear and my engine was squeaking in neutral. 

Sorry to wander off the topic a bit. 

Yeah, probably its Tweety :) I rebuilt engine last year, changed all interior and exterior parts with original ones..  

30 minutes ago, Steve56 said:

It would be my guess that the third greaser is to lubricate the rear shaft bearing. I have come across on a number of older Dutch Barges. As I say it is only a guess as the photos don't show enough info.

I think that confirms that it might be a good idea to try applying lots of grease, but unless it is on the hard I don't see how the OP could see when grease comes from the back of that bearing, I doubt it has a weed hatch.

• 2 weeks later...

Problem solved. 

It was this bolt untightened and making that squeak. That's my bird. I used wrench no. 13 (1/2") to tight. I wonder how to tight that bolt to never loose again? I tried with Victor Reinz dicht (gasket) mass but it not work. 

IMG_20230223_142654.thumb.jpg.ee9d86df6299ec06dbf37cd17a82bba5.jpg

Edited by Marko J

In that photo it looks as though the shaft has been turning and moving in the collet that is supposed to lock onto it. The dog ring with the 4 "c" spanner  notches possibly needs tightening.

That bolt sticking out is odd, it could be for releasing the collet so tightening it could be exactly the wrong thing to do.  Else I can see no purpose for it.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

In that photo it looks as though the shaft has been turning and moving in the collet that is supposed to lock onto it. The dog ring with the 4 "c" spanner  notches possibly needs tightening.

That bolt sticking out is odd, it could be for releasing the collet so tightening it could be exactly the wrong thing to do.  Else I can see no purpose for it.

Maybe there has been a long term misunderstanding about the bolt sticking out. Perhaps it is not meant to be there in the first place and as you say is used to decouple the shaft by screwing the bolt in. In other words there is supposed to be an empty threaded hole there under normal circumstances but at some stage someone assumed there was meant to be a bolt there.

This seems highly likely.

4 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Maybe there has been a long term misunderstanding about the bolt sticking out. Perhaps it is not meant to be there in the first place and as you say is used to decouple the shaft by screwing the bolt in. In other words there is supposed to be an empty threaded hole there under normal circumstances but at some stage someone assumed there was meant to be a bolt there.

This seems highly likely.

Since I bought the boat, I didnt tried to pull this bolt out. Maybe you're right. Coupling is fixed with 4 other bolts (on the photo) with transmission system.  

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Is that collar cracked ?
Has a bolt been put in to lock the shaft as the collar cannot be tightened as it forces the crack open ?

IMG_20230223_142654.thumb.jpg.ee9d86df6299ec06dbf37cd17a82bba5.jpg

Very possible. I didn't inspected collar ever. The only thing I've changed is that bolt. I lost old one during engine rebuilt and push this one in (the same size). Old one did the "job" but this new one is made of hard steel standard (mark 8.8) and making squeaks when loose. 

As Tracy D'arth pointed out earlier there is a c spanner fitting there and it has definitely seen a lot of action. Have you got a C spanner?

It looks like someone has been trying to tighten it up with hammer and punch rather than the correct tool,

Edited by magnetman
name

I, too, can't see the purpose of that bolt. It is a tapered clamp that grips the shaft, tightened onto the shaft by the C spanner ring. Maybe it is supposed to lock the C nut. The only other time I have seen anything like that was with shrunk on couplings with such a bolt sitting into a dimple in the shaft, but a clamp on coupling should not need it. I fear a past bodge to save replacing the shaft and/or coupling.

You mean maybe someone has drilled right into the shaft so the bolt end goes into a hole in the shaft itself and locks the parts together?

In that case one could suspect that the original bolt was either pointed or possibly had a section on the end turned down to a smaller diameter. It could have also worked as a shear pin if that had been done.

I think the old bolt needs finding.

1 minute ago, magnetman said:

You mean maybe someone has drilled right into the shaft so the bolt end goes into a hole in the shaft itself and locks the parts together?

In that case one could suspect that the original bolt was either pointed or possibly had a section on the end turned down to a smaller diameter. It could have also worked as a shear pin if that had been done.

I think the old bolt needs finding.

Yes, but really I think that coupling needs to come off to see what has been going on.

Interesting the way it is so tidy looking. It almost looks like the part had a split in it since it was new as part of the design. If it had cracked accidentally one may have thought it would do so at more of a right angle.

Is there not a matching split on the other side?

It may need to be in two parts in order to assemble.

2 minutes ago, bizzard said:

The crack in that lock ring aint natural. The bolts been put there to help keep it still because of it.

I took the apparent crack to be a "hair" of grease that for some reason has been applied to the bolt. If it is a crack then bodging it has probably led to both a new shaft and coupling being needed to do a proper job.

• Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

That makes 2 of us. That have suggested it.

By the state of the spanner slot on that ring which looks like it cracked by whacking it very hard with a hammer and chistle when trying to tighten it.

• Greenie 1

Maybe its possible to just buy the collet and the locking ring from Vetus.

Vetus KO5 Type 6 Shaft Transmission Flexible Connection

Is what I think.

https://www.vetus-shop.com/lock-nut-km10-m50x15-for-vetus-type-coupling-p-3308.html

New lock nut for it.

KO09.png

Obviously needs checking and measuring. If they are selling the lock nut by itself its obviously a know fault.

It seems to be just a standard SKF locking nut not an actual Vetus product. At least they are honest enough to mention this on their own web shop site despite their markup !!

https://www.bearings-online.co.uk/item/2702/Locknuts/KM10-Locknut-M50x15.html?vat_inc=true&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyIjvqLLM_QIVx-3tCh11gQS9EAQYAyABEgLqGfD_BwE

£11.50 including RM 1st class delivery.

SKF- Lock Nut KM10 M50x1.5

(Needs verification before ordering obviously)

Hook spanner for it

https://www.zoro.co.uk/shop/hand-tools/hooks-and-pins/adjustable-c-spanner-chrome-vanadium-steel-205mm-length-32-75mm-jaw-capacity/p/ZT1005117X?utm_source=google&utm_campaign=pla%2B|%2BHand Tools&utm_term=ZT1005117X&utm_medium=pla_css_2&targetid=pla-392354876107&loc_physical_ms=1006886&dev=c&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkYy95LPM_QIVx-3tCh11gQS9EAQYAyABEgK_JPD_BwE

Edited by magnetman