PICTURES OF GOLDEN NOOK FARM

davathehut

Featured Posts

My very first boat trip was on a boat based at Golden Nook that was also used as a holiday boat for, I think,  the scouts. In those days I suspect if there were any rules about insurance or special licences they were just ignored.

Most of us on here try to be helpful and answer questions, but it does help if some info is given about why the question is asked - context also helps to make the answers relevant. We don't read every thread going so can't always put two and two together to make the required number.

I can't see why anyone would want to break a journey at Golden Nook, even if they could find a space - and the farm would of course want paying.

By the way, isn't Nantwich to Ellesmere Port a bit of a slog in two days? Quite a lot of locks and the Chester staircase, which could be a trial for beginners?

On 27/05/2022 at 18:42, IanM said:

I was wondering that too. I’ve no idea where it is and I don’t really care what it looks like!

It is on the northern part of the Shropshire Union, between Chester and Ellesmere Port.

Once cruised past never forgotten as the linear moorings go on for ever and ever (almost).

One of the few places where I have tempted to pass moored boats at more than tickover.

11 minutes ago, cuthound said:

It is on the northern part of the Shropshire Union, between Chester and Ellesmere Port.

Once cruised past never forgotten as the linear moorings go on for ever and ever (almost).

One of the few places where I have tempted to pass moored boats at more than tickover.

I think it's over two miles of boats. If you went past at tickover, you were possibly unique. Everybody else slows down a bit and gradually, as the boredom and frustration set in, drifts gently back to an almost normal cruising speed. It is, as linear moorings go, extracting the Michael. I doubt it would be allowed now. Anyone mooring in a line that long has no right to grumble at boats going past at 3mph, in my opinion, and if they do, should be told to set springs, which most there don't.

ETA it's between Beeston and Chester, there's nothing dreadful between Chester and Ellesmere Port except several tons of weed (and not the sort you can smoke, either).

Edited by Arthur Marshall

18 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I think it's over two miles of boats. If you went past at tickover, you were possibly unique. Everybody else slows down a bit and gradually, as the boredom and frustration set in, drifts gently back to an almost normal cruising speed. It is, as linear moorings go, extracting the Michael. I doubt it would be allowed now. Anyone mooring in a line that long has no right to grumble at boats going past at 3mph, in my opinion, and if they do, should be told to set springs, which most there don't.

ETA it's between Beeston and Chester, there's nothing dreadful between Chester and Ellesmere Port except several tons of weed (and not the sort you can smoke, either).

Sounds even worse than it is was when I was there last, about 15 years ago.

I could be have sworn it was beyond Chester, my memory is playing tricks again. 

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

Why that got me a note on the screen advising me to try cash machines and a map of Brazil I have absolutely no idea. I put it down to the miracle that is Google.

I do wonder when the map image (which I can't see) was scanned. There was at least one field more full of boats when I went past two years ago than there were when I moored at Croughton. Whatever, it certainly feels like more than 2k!

22 hours ago, davathehut said:

yes we have commercial insurance and license we just need to get boat safety cert once work is complete it has standard boat safety at the moment

I don't see how that works.

You can't get your Commercial Licence with a standard boat safety.

• Greenie 1

9 hours ago, zenataomm said:

I don't see how that works.

You can't get your Commercial Licence with a standard boat safety.

Probably commercial insurance but standard licence. Insurance companies will sell you any policy they can,  the more expensive and irrelevant the better.

On 28/05/2022 at 11:00, Arthur Marshall said:

I think it's over two miles of boats. If you went past at tickover, you were possibly unique.

I did go past on tickover last year and still got one "slow down" call.

13 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

There does seem to be a business opportunity for whoever farms on the towpath side. Build a toll canal through their fields. Persuade CaRT to put speed cameras on the original cut past the moorings. A few months work with a digger. Boaters then have a choice, tickover for an age past the moored boats, or pay to speed by at a heady 4mph on the new cut. A bit like the M6 toll road.

Maybe offer it as an opportunity for volunteers to experience handling boats, like the Harecastle pilots but for complete newbies.

This would help boaters in two ways. First, it would put a lot of people interested in boats off boating for life.

Secondly, it would probably reduce the number of boats moored at Golden Nook.

On 28/05/2022 at 13:01, Arthur Marshall said:

By the way, isn't Nantwich to Ellesmere Port a bit of a slog in two days? Quite a lot of locks and the Chester staircase, which could be a trial for beginners?

In all seriousness, this is a good point.

If it's inexperienced hirers and departing from Nantwich, stopping and turning around just before Golden Nook at Tattenhall Marina might be a good idea. Much shorter days if it's a two part-day trip, some of the nicest bits of countryside, and no need to go past all those moored boats!

Also a relatively easy (and unmissable) place to wind a boat, and plenty of space to moor freely nearby for the evening.

Hi

I've just come across this post as I am looking into eventually living on a narrow boat with my family. And we are going to look into golden nook as a place to live.

But we are a low waged family with disabilities so can never afford a narrow boat holiday. We would be absolutely thrilled if we could possibly take you up on this idea for a night or 2 on your boat! we have done day trips on narrowboats but never been able to stay on one.. we would absolutely love to have that opportunity. Is there a way we can apply to your charity for this?

My email is amandameaden@hotmail.co.uk if you'd like to get in touch.

We live on the Wirral currently and will be visiting Hargrave soon so can take some photos for you if you like?

Thanks

4 hours ago, AmandaRoxanne8 said:

Hi

I've just come across this post as I am looking into eventually living on a narrow boat with my family. And we are going to look into golden nook as a place to live.

But we are a low waged family with disabilities so can never afford a narrow boat holiday. We would be absolutely thrilled if we could possibly take you up on this idea for a night or 2 on your boat! we have done day trips on narrowboats but never been able to stay on one.. we would absolutely love to have that opportunity. Is there a way we can apply to your charity for this?

My email is amandameaden@hotmail.co.uk if you'd like to get in touch.

We live on the Wirral currently and will be visiting Hargrave soon so can take some photos for you if you like?

Thanks

The advantage of Golden Nook as a new liveaboard is that there are a lot of people already living there, so while you might rock about a bit with boats going by in a slightly cross manner, you'll have plenty of help and advice.

Another place maybe to look at is Top Farm  Croughton, though I have heard they don't want any more residentials. I lived there a while, and it's ideal for a short trip to Chester for the shopping!

1 hour ago, Arthur Marshall said:

The advantage of Golden Nook as a new liveaboard is that there are a lot of people already living there, so while you might rock about a bit with boats going by in a slightly cross manner, you'll have plenty of help and advice.

Another place maybe to look at is Top Farm  Croughton, though I have heard they don't want any more residentials. I lived there a while, and it's ideal for a short trip to Chester for the shopping!

Yeh I really liked the look of it when I went past once. It's perfect for us.

I just wondered who owns it so I could call them and ask about prices etc?