Pedantic or simply a question

Heartland

Featured Posts

The recent post regarding Pedants Corner (My, or otherwise) has left me to wonder why the Canal & River Trust and Well-Being Charity has not altered their title abbreviation. In view of the present focus on well being rather than the navigation and the heritage of the waterways they control their seems to be a present bias to the cyclist, ecology and walking. Or am I mistaken in this regard ?

As to a suitable abbreviation CRTWC springs to mind, but then there might be some unfortunate interpretations !

• Haha 1
  • Horror 1

I expect the cyclists and walkers resent the amount spent on maintaining locks, and the fishermen resent the cyclists and the boats. Walkers without dogs resent the evidence dog walkers leave behind them.

Everyone needs something to object to, it's what makes life worth living. In this respect,  I regard my trombone playing as a service to humanity.

• Greenie 2
  • Happy 1

8 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I expect the cyclists and walkers resent the amount spent on maintaining locks, and the fishermen resent the cyclists and the boats. Walkers without dogs resent the evidence dog walkers leave behind them.

Everyone needs something to object to, it's what makes life worth living. In this respect,  I regard my trombone playing as a service to humanity.

As as acompliant and rule-following boater, I resent all the CMers, overstayers and in particular, the burgeoning number of stealth boats who contribute nothing to the upkeep of the canals. Probably.

Edited by MtB
Finesse it a bit!
  • Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I think you are just trolling now Arthur.

Boaters and anglers directly pay for a small part of the canals.  How much angling clubs pay is always carefully glossed over in the accounts but it will be a lot less than boaters pay.  The combined total isn't much over a fifth of CRT's operating budget.  It's not as high as a quarter.

Cyclists, walkers and doggers don't pay directly, but may contribute as general taxpayers.

If there's a pecking order for complaints, I'll go with the Golden Rule: He who pays the piper calls the tune ...

5 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Cyclists, walkers and doggers don't pay directly, but may contribute as general taxpayers.

As do boaters, in addition to their license and mooring fee contributions.

• Greenie 2

Just now, MtB said:

As do boaters, in addition to their license and mooring fee contributions.

No dispute, but I guarantee that less than a thousand quid a year of my income tax bill goes to CRT.  The full thousand quid of licence fees does go directly to them, which is why I used the word "directly."

I've heard of mooring fees, but generally disapprove of them.  I'd rather put it in the fuel tank instead ...

8 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Pedant alert Isn't the term 'dogger' someone who practices 'dogging' (which has little to do with taking Shep for his walkies)

My Father-in-law used to run greyhounds a while back. Once at a family do someone asked my Mother-in-law what they’d been up to that week, she proudly announced they’d been dogging on Friday night and made quite a few quid. She looked confused whilst we all fell about laughing until one of my wife’s sisters explained what dogging was.

• Love 1

9 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Boaters and anglers directly pay for a small part of the canals.  How much angling clubs pay is always carefully glossed over in the accounts but it will be a lot less than boaters pay. 

Years ago Waterways World magazine reviewed the then latest published BW Report and Accounts, and noted in passing that the reported income from angling was about 10% of that from boating. This prompted a letter in the following month's edition in which a boater said he would willingly pay 10% more for his licence and mooring if we could be rid of the anglers. Followed inevitably by an editorial response about waterways being available for all, biggest mass participation sport etc. etc.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Pedant alert Isn't the term 'dogger' someone who practices 'dogging' (which has little to do with taking Shep for his walkies)

I guess it's an abbreviation, along the lines of "birder" which, regrettably, seems to0 be replacing the established term "bird-watcher".

Similarly, when I was a boy, people would "take the dog for a walk". The expression "walking the dog" was heard only on a nonsensical song by Rufus Thomas and The Rolling Stones; no one over here was familiar with it. Now it's almost universal.

There are a couple of interesting graphics here relating to CARTs income and expenditure.

It's a bit more involved than merely paying license fees to keep the locks in good nick.

In other words boat licenses alone certainly don't cover basic infrastructure and running costs.