Moorings destruction imminent.

Tracy D'arth

Featured Posts

Looking at the map of the approved route for HS2 from London to Manchester there are many places where the railway and the canal are close together.

As HS2 will create a wide cleared corridor along the route, how many established mooring sites will be destroyed?

Is there any compensation arrangement in place for the displaced owners? Where are they all going to go?

Lichfield Cruising Club is getting a new mooring basin provided by HS2 to replace land and moorings which will be lost to HS2.

https://lichfieldcruisingclub.co.uk/news.php

In general, landowners, leaseholders and businesses will be compensated for the loss of property, but short term tenants, such as those renting moorings, will not.

Edited by David Mack
  • Greenie 1

13 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

HS2 are building a new marina at Huddlesford

I was looking at that a few weeks ago.(Sorry crap pic) Its well underway. Prompted me to take a look at the Lichfield and Hatherton fly  through on you tube. Major project.

20220401_104314.jpg

Edited by PaulJ

2 hours ago, David Mack said:

In general, landowners, leaseholders and businesses will be compensated for the loss of property, but short term tenants, such as those renting moorings, will not.

The question on my lips is "Why not?"  What about the linear moorers? Woodend lock moorings for one.

Because land compensation law has developed that way over decades. Boat moorers have no security of tenure anyway, so any mooring owner can ask you to leave, with the amount of notice required being dependent on your mooring agreement. Whereas mooring owners are generally landowners or businesses who are eligible for compensation for the loss of land and business income if the mooring is acquired.

Edited by David Mack
  • Greenie 1

19 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Are they effected?  some of them now moor against a nice new piece of woodland, well it will be when it grows a bit

All the moorers were given 3 months notice to leave by March 31st. It's more to do with access and parking rather than disruption to the actual moorings. Once HS2 have finished their evil doings in approximately 2 years time the cottage and moorings will be available for use again. The cottage is owned by HS2 and the tenant was only on a short term rental agreement so no compo for them either.

Compensation? for what?  ...Would you be happy paying a penalty clause if you left earlier than the berth contract term?

You can leave when you wish, and conversely the mooring owner can ask you to leave when they want (subject to some notice obviously). The 'why' in why they would want you to leave is not really relevant.

Edited by Creaking Gate

6 hours ago, Creaking Gate said:

Compensation? for what?  ...Would you be happy paying a penalty clause if you left earlier than the berth contract term?

You can leave when you wish, and conversely the mooring owner can ask you to leave when they want (subject to some notice obviously). The 'why' in why they would want you to leave is not really relevant.

If you read my last sentence I was referring to the tenant in the lock cottage not the moorers. When it was owned by CRT previously, the tenant was given some compensation due to them wanting it vacated before the tenancy agreement expired.  This was at the time HS2 was planned to be crossing the canal in 3 places around there. HS2 bought the cottage and it was as a result earmarked for demolition.

Shortly afterwards the IWA worked out an alternative route whereby HS2 would only cross the canal once instead of the 3 times and that was further up the canal towards Fradley Junction, so was well away from the cottage. It would also save HS2 £55m, hence the reason they went for the IWA plan. With the cottage saved, HS2 then re-let the cottage but only on a short term/temporary lease, hence my comment about no compensation for the tenants (this time).

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

Lets hope they make the cottage secure so that its not burnt down in the next 2 years. Maybe one of their site managers would like to live there for the duration of the work.

That's a good point, although I think they will have 24/7 security because they will have a lot of their equipment there. I gather it's to do with the re-routing of Wood End Lane in order to maintain the straightest possible route for the railway line.

At Huddlesford 12 moorings and the slipway are being wiped out by HS2. After a long fight HS2 has funded the replacement of same. I have nothing but admiration for the tenacity of those involved at LCC. It has been a long slog which hopefully will end in late summer. 

• Greenie 1