When to change Gas cylinder (probably a silly question)

Featured Posts

12 hours ago, David Mack said:

Which is fine. Unless the oven goes out half way through cooking, and you don't notice until the time you planned to eat.

When the gas does run out and you have to go outside to change the bottle over to finish cooking your tea, it will be dark and raining sideways stair rods. I don't know why, but it does. 🌧️

Not enough of an inconvenience for me to ever do anything about it. After a bit, you get a feel for when the bottle is nearing the end. More smell from the second or two of gas before the ignition kicks in during its last couple of days. Then keep more of an eye and ear out for the hob, and/or oven going out. A skill you pick up when you live on board and a cylinder lasts three, or four months. More tricky when one bottle lasts three years.

2 hours ago, nicknorman said:

The point of auto-changeover systems is that you have to check for the red flag on the regulator from time to time, which indicates the first cylinder is empty - and then replace the cylinder obvs.

If checking for the red flag from time to time (depending on how much gas you use) is “too difficult” then I’d agree auto changeovers are a bad idea. But if you have the discipline to check it regularly, it means you will never run out of gas at an inconvenient moment.

Some one should make a three cylinder auto change over valve. That will definitely solve the problem. 😀

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

I always rock the cylinder from side to side and it is easy to feel the weight of the "gas" as it slops around. 

Surely the cylinder should be fixed to prevent movement 😱

2 hours ago, nicknorman said:

The point of auto-changeover systems is that you have to check for the red flag on the regulator from time to time, which indicates the first cylinder is empty - and then replace the cylinder obvs.

If checking for the red flag from time to time (depending on how much gas you use) is “too difficult” then I’d agree auto changeovers are a bad idea. But if you have the discipline to check it regularly, it means you will never run out of gas at an inconvenient moment.

You don't have a cratch board I suspect! With a cratch board, clambering around the front of it to lift the gas locker lid and check for the flag is a right pain in the butt and one rapidly falls out of the habit.

But I still hold that auto-changover valves are pointless as like the OP, I know when one bottle is nearly empty from the smell of mercaptan when a gas ring is running. No need to look for flags on changeover valves or anything....

1 hour ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Same day you take the anchor out of the gas locker.

oh no, not another one of those things that it depends on the inspector and how he's feeling at the time?   Mine passed BSS with the anchor in... :)

7 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

oh no, not another one of those things that it depends on the inspector and how he's feeling at the time?   Mine passed BSS with the anchor in... :)

Makes you wonder what you actually paid your £150 for - what else was not in compliance or not properly checked  - Gas system ? Fuel system ? Electrics ?

If I'm paying for something I expect to have the job done properly.

7.4.4 Is the cylinder locker clear of any items that could damage the LPG equipment or ignite leaked LPG? R

Check the contents of all cylinder lockers.

Cylinder lockers must not contain loose sharp or heavy items such as anchors or mooring pins that could damage the cylinders or other LPG system components.

Cylinder lockers must not contain any item that could ignite leaked LPG.

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Makes you wonder what you actually paid your £150 for - what else was not in compliance or not properly checked  - Gas system ? Fuel system ? Electrics ?

If I'm paying for something I expect to have the job done properly.

I'd suggest he was paying for a passport to getting or renewing a license. As illustrated, most (but not all) of the BSS is a farce. I mean, people get killed from walking past narrowboats with anchors in their gas lockers every other day. Don't they? 

Point is, all this trivia revolving around what "might" happen but never does, just brings the whole scheme into disrepute. It is not possible for bureaucrats to expunge ALL risk from life with ever more rules to be complied with at others' expense, although they delight in trying.

And regarding having it done properly, try asking a BSS chap for a quote to inspect you boat thoroughly in full accordance with the scheme rules, no stone unturned, no matter how long it takes. Explain to him you'll be leaving a few of your 'traps' like an out of date fire extinguisher and you expect him to find them all. I bet your quote runs close to four figures. 

17 minutes ago, MtB said:

I'd suggest he was paying for a passport to getting or renewing a license. As illustrated, most (but not all) of the BSS is a farce.

You seem to be saying exactly what I have said for many years - the BSS is simply an additional £40 per annum 'tax' on being granted your licence. To all intents and purposes it is a worthless, meaninglesss document.

18 hours ago, Loddon said:

I have an auto changeover but still turn off one bottle until it's needed, otherwise I would end up with two empty bottles😱

In other words you use it like a manual changeover. That's why I prefer manual changeover switches. Can't see the point of an automatic one.

9 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Obviously a very long time since you paid for a BSS examination, mine has just cost me £230 :(

Was it the popular type where chappie has a cup of tea and a quick look in the engine room and passes it (phew)?

Or the other type where he spends a good while poking about and gives you a list of 20 items of trivia that all need fixing, each taking an hour and costing £20? E.g. the font used for the pump out label is not legible at 30 paces so members of the public are likely to die walking past?

Edited by MtB
Fiddle with it...

2 minutes ago, MtB said:

Was it the popular type where chappie has a cup of tea and a quick look in the engine room and passes it (phew)?

Or the other type where he spends a good while poking about and gives you a list of 20 items of trivia that all need fixing, each taking an hour and costing £20? E.g. the font used for the pump out label is the wrong size? 

No, he examined stuff, checked against his checklist, gave me bonus points for only having gas bottles in the gas locker, followed by a digital manometer test on the gas system then sent me an email with the details.

Took about two hours, as always it was a pleasure.

As normal I had nothing that needed fixing ;)