Marble Stove surround replacement

Featured Posts

To reduce the amount of radiant heat absorbed by the stove surround, I have made a reflector around the stove.

Sheet of mirror polished Stainless steel bent at right angles, 3 feet to make it stable.

The front step used to get too hot to touch, never scorched, now is barely warm.

The heat is now sent back into the room, rather than absorbed into the fabric of the fit-out.

Bod

IMG_1800.JPG.c9bb323703774170cff3b9389389c0d2.JPG

• Greenie 1

31 minutes ago, Bod said:

To reduce the amount of radiant heat absorbed by the stove surround, I have made a reflector around the stove.

Sheet of mirror polished Stainless steel bent at right angles, 3 feet to make it stable.

The front step used to get too hot to touch, never scorched, now is barely warm.

The heat is now sent back into the room, rather than absorbed into the fabric of the fit-out.

Bod

IMG_1800.JPG.c9bb323703774170cff3b9389389c0d2.JPG

I've thought using a polished stainless sheet like this would be a good solution for older hearths installed without the now recommended air gaps and fireproof boards.. The polish reflects infra red heat back at the stove and forms a convection channel between the stove and the sheet, drawing up cool air from the floor and expelling warm air a the top. Also provides a cooler air gap between the sheet and the woodwork, or tiles on wood work.

Jen

5 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

and forms a convection channel between the stove and the sheet, drawing up cool air from the floor and expelling warm air a the top.

This will be most effective if there is a clear gap between the bottom of the reflector and the hearth to allow the cold air in - it really needs some feet.

• Greenie 1

11 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

I've thought using a polished stainless sheet like this would be a good solution for older hearths installed without the now recommended air gaps and fireproof boards.. The polish reflects infra red heat back at the stove and forms a convection channel between the stove and the sheet, drawing up cool air from the floor and expelling warm air a the top. Also provides a cooler air gap between the sheet and the woodwork, or tiles on wood work.

Jen

Yes, exactly how it works.

The temperature difference is quite remarkable.

Having 3 feet at the bottom not only makes it stable, but allow for convection currents to be set up, making the Eco-fan even more effective.

Bod.

• Greenie 1

7 hours ago, Bod said:

Yes, exactly how it works.

The temperature difference is quite remarkable.

Having 3 feet at the bottom not only makes it stable, but allow for convection currents to be set up, making the Eco-fan even more effective.

Bod.

Good job it doesn't make the eco-fan even less effective, then... 😉

37 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

That's an interesting modification. I may try that myself.

Did you bend it yourself or buy it to a specification?

Nice shiny brass or copper would do just as well Beaten Copper Sheet Online in the UK at Best Price (metaloffcuts.co.uk)

• Greenie 1

2 sheets of mirror finish Stainless steel from E-bay, cut in the feet myself, got a local sheet metal working place to do the bend on a folding press.

Made the height the same as the stove, the other dimensions allow for good gap around the side and back.  Made in 2 halves' for adjustment of fit.

Bod.