Local Knowledge of Leeds Please

dmr

Featured Posts

Are the visitor Mooring at Kirkstall ok, and could a boat be left unattended in the daytime?

Is the trip from Central Leeds (Armouries) to Kirkstall relatively straightforward and easy to do in the short days that we currently have?

As full length boaters we have no real knowledge of the L&L but might be moving a friends boat.

Also after our recent Rochdale adventures I am extra aware that inner city boating can sometimes be rather slower than might be anticipated.

I can see no mention of having to book this section, though the next bit (Forge/Newlay) does need booking????

I suspect you'll be absolutely fine. The length west of Leeds city centre has historically been one of those set-off-early-on-a-school-day sections like the Ashton, with the first 'safe' mooring being at Rodley.  But I reckon these days you would be unlucky to encounter serious trouble. Granary Wharf is a safe mooring, but I think it might be prudent not to leave the boat unattended for too long once you are out of the city centre.

14 minutes ago, dmr said:

Are the visitor Mooring at Kirkstall ok, and could a boat be left unattended in the daytime?

Is the trip from Central Leeds (Armouries) to Kirkstall relatively straightforward and easy to do in the short days that we currently have?

As full length boaters we have no real knowledge of the L&L but might be moving a friends boat.

Also after our recent Rochdale adventures I am extra aware that inner city boating can sometimes be rather slower than might be anticipated.

I can see no mention of having to book this section, though the next bit (Forge/Newlay) does need booking????

Do you want someone to come ride shot gun?

let me know I’ll come over 

leeds to Rodley in a day if I remember is easy enough. 

18 minutes ago, frangar said:

I don’t think I’d leave a boat anywhere other than the dock or by the holiday inn….but It’s been a few years since a boated through there and Im no fan of Leeds in general!  

11 minutes ago, David Mack said:

I suspect you'll be absolutely fine. The length west of Leeds city centre has historically been one of those set-off-early-on-a-school-day sections like the Ashton, with the first 'safe' mooring being at Rodley.  But I reckon these days you would be unlucky to encounter serious trouble. Granary Wharf is a safe mooring, but I think it might be prudent not to leave the boat unattended for too long once you are out of the city centre.

Where is the Holiday Inn please?  Do you mean the Hilton?  Granary looks to be on the River? would it be better to go up the lock onto the canal section (by the Hilton?????)

Boat might have to be left for a day or two but will be occupied at night.

7 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Do you want someone to come ride shot gun?

let me know I’ll come over 

leeds to Rodley in a day if I remember is easy enough. 

Its a long drive for you since you moved south 😀  but if you fancy a days boating....

CanalPlan suggests Rodley is jut too much for these short days. Can't start till 9:30 ish as will need to shuffle cars first. Also looks like Newlay locks have to be booked in advance and no bookings till wednesday but we would need to move boat on the Tuesday.

1 minute ago, dmr said:

Where is the Holiday Inn please?  Do you mean the Hilton?  Granary looks to be on the River? would it be better to go up the lock onto the canal section (by the Hilton?????)

Granery wharf is off the river. Right in the centre of Leeds. Rail station is only a short walk. Try whitelocks pub it's a must if in Leeds. 

4 minutes ago, dmr said:

Yes I mean the Hilton!  Knew it was a dire chain hotel!

Granary wharf is on the canal but being a short/small pound goes up and down a bit about a foot. The pontoons are 48 hr but not sure if all year or not. The walls are 14 day, the dock bit by the lock is a flooded dry dock and has stepped sides so fine if the water goes up not so clever if the water drops. The holiday inn and Hilton are the same place (hhilton) Wi-Fi is free and fast. 

4 minutes ago, Jon57 said:

Granery wharf is off the river. Right in the centre of Leeds. Rail station is only a short walk. Try whitelocks pub it's a must if in Leeds. 

I’ve got the misfortune to be working in Leeds near the station in a few weeks….we might need a decent pub! I might check that out. Thanks. 

Just now, dmr said:

Its a long drive for you since you moved south 😀  but if you fancy a days boating....

CanalPlan suggests Rodley is jut too much for these short days. Can't start till 9:30 ish as will need to shuffle cars first. Also looks like Newlay locks have to be booked in advance and no bookings till wednesday but we would need to move boat on the Tuesday.

Don’t mind the drive if I can doss down at the other end for night. 

it’s all safe around there

Not sure about the bookings 

ain’t it a case of ‘we advise you to book help ‘ ?

the locks are not locked are they?

2 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Don’t mind the drive if I can doss down at the other end for night. 

it’s all safe around there

Not sure about the bookings 

ain’t it a case of ‘we advise you to book help ‘ ?

the locks are not locked are they?

I believe Newlay/Forge are locked,  and Kirktsall might be too. Has to be booked on CRT website. Can't spend the night on the boat as owner (US) will be returning late evening.

You could stay with us at Warland, about an hours drive.  Boat currently on Aire and Calder somewhere but if she can do a good early start and a long day should be able to get to Leeds tomoro on day off work. then we take over.

Just now, Goliath said:

Yea, just looked 

Stuff that matey, sorry. 

Good luck 

Did you think you were still in Sowerby  😀  (have you not noticed the beer getting more expensive?)

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Can you get the boat up to Granary Wharf the previous day?

Really don't know, it gets as far as it can in the daylight, and single handed, and that's two extra locks.

But this won't help as we need to book to get through Forge locks and no bookings till Wednesday, and we are only available Tuesday.

Option might be a very very short day hopping up to Granary, and then get out of Leeds later in the week. Trouble is owner will be working so driving into and out of central Leeds everyday might be tedious.

There was a good plan but the L&L breach messed up Plan A, and the Rochdale summit problem rather delayed Plan B.

2 hours ago, dmr said:

A definite NO three years ago with bother at the lock with local kids.

Would recommend Granary Wharf. Belongs to the surrounding commercial estate who don't care too much about over staying if you ask. Looks like CRT because they installed the moorings. 

Recommended pub: The Grove in Back Row.

A great but quite expensive city.