Canal and river trust should be ashamed

luggsy

Featured Posts

I am not sure why people get so worked up about grease on paddle mechanisms especially the straight sections. As far as I can tell, the vast majority of the resistance is from the way in which the paddle fits within its retaining slide which, being underwater, is not greased.

• Unimpressed 2

On 16/11/2021 at 20:34, luggsy said:

Last week was moored in Boston c&rt where power washing pontoons did not really need doing they where useing the rotary one not that good really, got to the packet lnn on the river witham and this is what they expected you to moor up on , utterly disgraceful last night it was like walking on ice 

IMG_1018.JPG

I have a pressure washer on board so this would present no problem for me and before you say it yes I can tie my boat to cleats without getting off.

Keith

27 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

I am not sure why people get so worked up about grease on paddle mechanisms especially the straight sections. As far as I can tell, the vast majority of the resistance is from the way in which the paddle fits within its retaining slide which, being underwater, is not greased.

Ah now I thought that too until my recent experience on the southern Oxford. Paddles that used to be wonderfully easy to raise were, on my last trip, taking all my strength and being a right pig. I arrived at a lock where a couple of elderly women were stuck, unable to raise either paddle, and I had trouble too so I went back and got my oil can to try lubricating the spindles, which frankly looked a bit dry but I've seen worse so not much expectation of improvement but something obviously needed doing so thought I'd try that.

What an AMAZING improvement! Within a turn or so both paddles freed off and ran beautifully easily. So I oiled all the paddle mechs I came to for the rest of the day, with similarly big improvements. 

• Greenie 2

6 minutes ago, Idle Days said:

I agree, it would clog the rubbish bins up for months. 

Try shoving them  down your composting toilet - that should deal with the problem as they aren't emptied into the bins anymore...

5 hours ago, MtB said:

Ah now I thought that too until my recent experience on the southern Oxford. Paddles that used to be wonderfully easy to raise were, on my last trip, taking all my strength and being a right pig. I arrived at a lock where a couple of elderly women were stuck, unable to raise either paddle, and I had trouble too so I went back and got my oil can to try lubricating the spindles, which frankly looked a bit dry but I've seen worse so not much expectation of improvement but something obviously needed doing so thought I'd try that.

What an AMAZING improvement! Within a turn or so both paddles freed off and ran beautifully easily. So I oiled all the paddle mechs I came to for the rest of the day, with similarly big improvements. 

But oiling them is a very short term matter - that's why grease is used!

6 hours ago, MtB said:

It was you following me then