Layout thoughts

cheesegas

Featured Posts

Been living aboard for almost a year now, I didn't want to make any changes to the layout at first as I wasn't sure how we were going to use the space day to day. Got a much better idea now, so I'm thinking about swapping some stuff around - just wondering if anyone's done something similar and has feedback. My quiet months for work are Jan and Feb so it gives me a good 4 week stretch to do it. Not too concerned about resale value as I'm planning on keeping it for a long time.

It's a 45' cruiser stern, conventional layout with stove at the front. Was tempted to buy something bigger initially but kept to this as I can turn it around almost anywhere...

The current bed is a cheapo Ikea pull-out day bed I got from Gumtree and modified to fit, I'm a very...mobile...sleeper, much to the annoyance of my other half. There's lots of storage under it, but after being used daily it's starting to fall apart. Size is perfect though, 160cm wide by 200cm long. Washing machine is in the kitchen, it wasn't designed to house one so I've just placed at the end, only a little 3kg Zanussi. 

We only use the bedroom for sleeping at night, never during the day and it seems like a waste of much needed space on a boat! One of us usually works from home whilst the other is out at work.

Thinking of moving the washing machine and all storage to the back of the boat where the bed is now, and totally re-doing the wardrobe as there's a lot of dead space under it where the old pump out tank used to be. This leaves the front of the boat with more space (no under-gunnel storage or washing machine), to put in a decent Sofa Bed Barn cross bed, converting the living space to sleeping at night. I'd also have just enough room for a little desk/workbench at the back. Did a test sleep, moved the mattresses to the front for a couple of nights across the boat and it's all good.

Thoughts? Pitfalls? 

IKEA stuff has limited shelf life, but their space saving and storage ideas are brilliant. 

The final overall look is important, eg I painted over very coarse ply walls. It took about 8 coats in some cases cos I just used normal paints, mistake 1

Then I used oak trim to replace the cheapo painted skirting boards, and trimmed the walls, it is transformed. 

I tried two carpets, ended up with Artco flooring, ebay, which washes, and rugs which are cheap enough. 

Long term sleeping sounds like a holiday camping type solution, OK if both have same day and night habits,

I'd like what is called a slipper bath, in copper, on proper lion claw feet, but, a wet room is more practical. 

Go to proper bathroom supplier not BandQ to see wow stuff

I would have a look around some 52ft boats, trad not cruiser. 

Edited by LadyG

Some questions to ponder. How will you get services too and from the washing machine in its new position? Water, electric in. grey water skin fitting overboard.

With the stove and bed at the front, will you get too hot at night with the stove left in?

Are bedding materials and so on going to be sufficiently far from the stove not to be a fire risk in either day, or night configuration?

Having no idea what your boat looks like inside, other than your description, that's all I can think of.

7 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Some questions to ponder. How will you get services too and from the washing machine in its new position? Water, electric in. grey water skin fitting overboard.

With the stove and bed at the front, will you get too hot at night with the stove left in?

Are bedding materials and so on going to be sufficiently far from the stove not to be a fire risk in either day, or night configuration?

Having no idea what your boat looks like inside, other than your description, that's all I can think of.

Thanks. It's a very standard 1990s boat, I'll pop the CAD up here once I finish it. Services to the washing machine aren't a problem, I ran all new services with a thermo mixer in its existing position, it would be on the same side of the boat as all the plumbing and I'll put a new skin fitting in. Currently it's plumbed into the kitchen sink's fitting with a T split as I was lazy... Mains is under the gunnels so that's simple too.

Heat was fine during the test sleeps, didn't consider a stray pillow falling off though, raised sides on the bed would be needed I reckon.

One down side of caravanning we found was making up the bed every day/evening. Definite plus on a boat is that the bed is there and ready when we want it. Sometimes used during the day as a comfortable reading base. We are 50ft/cruiser stern. Sounds like, however, you are used to 'making' the bed every day so maybe that is not an issue. Have you got somewhere convenient/sensible to store the pillows/sheets/duvet/act during the day?

We lived as a family of 4 in a permanent caravan for years, 32 ft Bluebird as I recall.

It had a brilliant 'Murphy type' fold down double bed that simply went up into the wall, still made up.

Then a dining table folded out from the bed base.

It was so simple to fold the table and lower the bed down, all ready for use.

If I was remodelling my boat I would definitely be incorporating something similar.

15 hours ago, MarkH2159 said:

It had a brilliant 'Murphy type' fold down double bed that simply went up into the wall, still made up.

Easy in a caravan with vertical sides and over 6ft 6ins ceiling height. Not so practical in a narrowboat with sloping cabin sides and internal headroom at the sides that may be less than the length of the bed.

PS, I use my bed for my siesta, which may be a catnap, but may be internet browsing, it is more comfy than my rather expensive leather lounge chair. 

Mine is a standard 4 x6 NB. The biggest advantage of being retired, is the luxury of siesta 😉

Edited by LadyG