Battery interconnects

George and Dragon

Featured Posts

I've just bought new battery terminals as the ones I took off the old batteries were close to knackered. They have 10mm posts which is smaller than the old ones so my next job is to replace the interconnects. The various suppliers around have a huge difference in price for 95mm^2 tinned 'battery' cable. 12voltplanet sell cut lengths at @£32 per metre whereas another PV supplier is selling at £15. I suspect these are not the same.

Be that as it may my real question is how to remove the insulation without risking damage to the conductors? Is there a tool specifically designed for this? If not perhaps a blade protruding a fixed distance through a base board might work. I might have to work out how to do that...

It helps if you can bend the cable a little so the knife nicks the insulation on the outside of the bend.  Flex the cable and the cut will often extend itself to the conductors.  Then you can see what you are doing.

N

5 hours ago, George and Dragon said:

I've just bought new battery terminals as the ones I took off the old batteries were close to knackered. They have 10mm posts which is smaller than the old ones so my next job is to replace the interconnects

I'd just buy terminals of the correct size if the existing cables are sound.

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

I'd just buy terminals of the correct size if the existing cables are sound.

That depends on whether the battery terminals screw on/off or not (mine do and different size posts are available.)

Edited by Slim

If you do go down the changing cables line I originally got my cabling and terminals from Vehicle Rewiring and borrowed a friend's crimper. When I came to altering it I bought a hydraulic crimper on e bay. Trying to do it in a vice or similar just doesn't work.

Just looked crimper on e bay for £23.60 

Edited by Slim

On 03/11/2021 at 21:17, Slim said:

If you do go down the changing cables line I originally got my cabling and terminals from Vehicle Rewiring and borrowed a friend's crimper. When I came to altering it I bought a hydraulic crimper on e bay. Trying to do it in a vice or similar just doesn't work.

Just looked crimper on e bay for £23.60 

I agree. it's remarkable just how many crimps you'll find are needed when revising battery wiring. I too bought the cheap hydraulic crimper and it is brilliant. Never realised just how much I would use it. 

Just now, George and Dragon said:

I have a friend works for National Grid who has said he will borrow a crimper when needed. TBH I'm just as concerned about making good clean cuts in the cable. 

I applied some heatshrink and then used a junior hacksaw to cut it. Probably not the “right” way to do it, but it worked fine.

• Greenie 1

20 minutes ago, George and Dragon said:

I have a friend works for National Grid who has said he will borrow a crimper when needed. TBH I'm just as concerned about making good clean cuts in the cable. 

Cordless angle grinder.

21 minutes ago, George and Dragon said:

Cordless angle grinder.

(With 1mm metal cutting disc)

• Greenie 1