Aurora Borealis tonight and tomorrow

matty40s

Featured Posts

Probably the best chance to see this across the UK for many a year tonight and tommorow following a solar flare midweek. Around 9pm onwards, look to the North if you havnt got light pollution in the way. It should be quite spectacular up North and Scotland, but even in the Midlands and East should be visible.

Northern_Lights_78034.jpg

• Greenie 2

Kent is a little bit too far down south.

We spent a week on Skye in February one year (Dave's birthday is early February and rather than go to the sun he's carted us to the far north many times). Every night, being the late night family member, I looked out for the northern lights.

Nada. 

I have to tell you Scara Brae in February is a ridiculously cold windswept nightmare. But you do get it to yourself with an amazingly stoical tour guide who tells you she's happy to get away from the warmth of the gift shop and do something far more interesting.

I do anticipate a few more cold holidays while Dave seeks the northern lights. A significant wedding anniversary is only a few years away - maybe a hurtigruten cruise beckons.

9 hours ago, MtB said:

Zero light pollution where I am down here in Wiltshire. Just a had a long look outside, but zilch....

They are indeed fantastic to witness. As a child aged around 20 I spent some months in the north around Iceland and indeed some times inside the arctic circle. We were very lucky in that on quite a few occasions we were surrounded by these colourful leds, although in those days I believe they were halogen. A magnificent site. They appeared to come right down to the sea and surround us sometimes. We also got very, very close to huge whales, within a few feet. 

• Greenie 1

13 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

They are indeed fantastic to witness. As a child aged around 20 I spent some months in the north around Iceland and indeed some times inside the arctic circle. We were very lucky in that on quite a few occasions we were surrounded by these colourful leds, although in those days I believe they were halogen. A magnificent site. They appeared to come right down to the sea and surround us sometimes. We also got very, very close to huge whales, within a few feet. 

Same as myself Tim when in northern Norway on exercise, fantastic light shows, the forces often give us experiences that others only dream of (not all good however) 😟

14 hours ago, matty40s said:

Probably the best chance to see this across the UK for many a year tonight and tommorow following a solar flare midweek. Around 9pm onwards, look to the North if you havnt got light pollution in the way. It should be quite spectacular up North and Scotland, but even in the Midlands and East should be visible.

Northern_Lights_78034.jpg

It was clear as a bell last night nothing seen

• Greenie 1