Keelblack

Featured Posts

I had one of mine done with it a couple of years ago. 

It looks quite beaten up now but it has stayed on quite well. The odd bits here and there that come off though, peel off like pieces of thin black paper or plastic film. It just doesn't look or seem right compared to proper blacking. 

Edited by MtB
Spellink
  • Unimpressed 1

The people at Stone have huge experience, they do loads of boats and see the same boats returning every few years so why not ask them for advice?.

There is a brand new pub right next to the dock, please test and report back.

• Happy 1

Unless it's a heated dock at Stone, dont use Keelblack in October. We have seen quite a few boats previously Keelblacked at the wrong times of year with nothing left of the stuff below waterline. Also factor in 48 hours curing time for Fertan if you are using it first....plus washing it off and  waiting for hull to dry again.

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, dmr said:

The people at Stone have huge experience, they do loads of boats and see the same boats returning every few years so why not ask them for advice?.

The pub applies Keelblack too??!!

(Mine was applied at Fenny Compton, in hot weather too. In fact the boat was stuck in the dock for ten days due to low water levels in the pound! 

5 minutes ago, MtB said:

The pub applies Keelblack too??!!

(Mine was applied at Fenny Compton, in hot weather too. In fact the boat was stuck in the dock for ten days due to low water levels in the pound! 

No, but it's so close that you could sit on the patio drinking beer and keep an eye on the bloke in the drydock applying the blacking.

I think I read that Keelblack should go over Vactan or similar, so really they are saying that its just a cosmetic finish over some other form of protection???

Stone boatyard is a good place so its sort of good the adjacent land is now a pub, a dock and pub can co-exist, if it became a housing estate then the yard would likely be doomed. The long term moorers are now very overlooked, they could just shout over to the bar staff and get beer direct to the boats 😀

27 minutes ago, dmr said:

I like joules pubs as a rule but found the new pub in stone very disappointing. Full of wannabe Cheshire set types squaking into their G & T….lovely building….terrible clientele!

Had a pint and made a swift exit to the Titanic brewery pub up the road which was much more civilised. 

The top pub in stone in my opinion is the Lymestone brewery tap…well worth the short walk. 

1 minute ago, frangar said:

I like joules pubs as a rule but found the new pub in stone very disappointing. Full of wannabe Cheshire set types squaking into their G & T….lovely building….terrible clientele!

Had a pint and made a swift exit to the Titanic brewery pub up the road which was much more civilised. 

The top pub in stone in my opinion is the Lymestone brewery tap…well worth the short walk. 

We went through Stone recently but the new one had only just opened and looked very busy so we stayed away. Will be passing through again next week so will have a look.

I prefer the Swan but mostly drink there early evening as its no dogs after 9, also Saturdays are risky as they sometimes have an Elvis.

Both the Titanic (Royal Exchange?) and Brewery Tap are also excellent pubs though I prefer the Titanics beer .

The new one might well settle down when the newness wares off, brand new pubs often attract a rather odd clientele.

7 hours ago, dmr said:

We went through Stone recently but the new one had only just opened and looked very busy so we stayed away. Will be passing through again next week so will have a look.

I prefer the Swan but mostly drink there early evening as its no dogs after 9, also Saturdays are risky as they sometimes have an Elvis.

Both the Titanic (Royal Exchange?) and Brewery Tap are also excellent pubs though I prefer the Titanics beer .

The new one might well settle down when the newness wares off, brand new pubs often attract a rather odd clientele.

Yes the swan often seems to have music…I prefer a quiet pub…plus the OH loves a real still dry cider…we walked out when she asked the barman what real cider they had and was offered a pint of Thatchers gold despite real cider being listed on the GBG. Mind you nowhere in stone had a decent cider this year. I love “Stone the crows” from lymestone. 

I hope the new pub does settle down…it had only been open a few weeks when we called in. I must say I wouldn’t want one of the moorings at Canal Cruising now! 

Keelblack, used it twice, does what it says on the can.

Needs a surprising long time to cure hard, before being put back into the water.  Would not use this time of year unless heated dock is used.

Easy to apply.

Be sure to get fresh liquid, delivered from Keelblack, the day before work starts, don't skimp on preparation, all loose previous coating must be removed.

Bod

• Greenie 2

Ah, on the above post, 

2 hours ago, Bod said:

Be sure to get fresh liquid, delivered from Keelblack, the day before work starts, don't skimp on preparation, all loose previous coating must be removed.

Do not buy from a chandlery, unless you know the stock is brand new. It has a maximum 6 month shelf life and is pretty much a solid mass at the bottom of the container that will not mix out after this.