Kids torch Usk

carlt

Featured Posts

But these days incidents like this are quite common and not really considered a serious crime in todays society.

And while mindless vandalism, a total lack of respect for others property, is prevalent and on the increase among some sections of our society, some people will still say that our society is not broken - I'm very sorry indeed Carl.

We've not been on this forum long, Carl, but have found your posts interesting and useful. So sorry to hear the dreadful news about Usk, but please don't leave the forum even if you do give up on the canals.

If the restoration fund idea gets going, we will certainly donate. An excellent idea.

If the restoration fund idea gets going, we will certainly donate. An excellent idea.

I'd happily do so too. I don't know how these things work, and I'm sure it would be a nightmare to organise, but could the idea of a CWDF restoration fund actually be feasible? After all, I'm sure the figure Carl quoted for restoration wouldn't all be needed in a lump sum, but would be used up gradually over time.

I'm sure there are many members on here who would be willing to donate either money, skills or just labour to help keep this boat afloat for the future. It could take years, but it could be done....couldn't it?

Any thoughts?

Janet

Carl,

I'm a bit of a latecomer to this very sad thread but would like to add my commiserations too.

I hope something can come out of it for the better and maybe Usk will still be around when we finally get afloat. The restoration fund idea would get my support as well.

I'm glad to see that you have other positive plans though - whereabouts on the coast are you going to be?

Richard

If insurance doesn't cover this, then there is no need for a crime number. I can think of no other reason for bothering the police.

Surely the crime figures are used to a degree to establish the funding for the police authorities? If no crime was ever reported then the police would be surplas to requirements..... :smiley_offtopic:

Carl,

I have just heard about Usk and I just wanted to add my comments of sympathy to all the others already posted on this site. I just don't understand this need to destroy everything, but at least you have your new boat to distract you.

Regards

Howard Anguish

Spurred on by the comment “unless I can get someone to take her on” and being in a position where I am making plans to take on a project next year, I am waiting for Carl to report back with the boats condition, it is very possible that I will be horrified and shocked at the scale of the project and I will be unable to consider it viable, but unless I ask what’s involved? I will regret it.

Spurred on by the comment “unless I can get someone to take her on” and being in a position where I am making plans to take on a project next year, I am waiting for Carl to report back with the boats condition, it is very possible that I will be horrified and shocked at the scale of the project and I will be unable to consider it viable, but unless I ask what’s involved? I will regret it.

I`m really very sory about this Carl - the frustration such things cause ( and it`s only happened to us here on a much less dramatic scale ) is enormous . On top of that , and probably far worse ,the emotional pain and the stress must be very hard indeed. Sorry - really.

As to a restoration fund , I don`t know - because I dont agree wth the figures. I know there are expensively restord historic boats out there that are not as good as they should be , at least one very famous one, but I was , and still am, a member of the organization that funded the replication using the original ironworks and the odd few bottom boards of Gifford( and that`s more or less what we`re talking about in all probability) and it cost a damn site more than 25k. Even if the labour had come free of charge the timber bill would ( if I remember rightly) have exceeded that by a distance.

Carl will , if he chooses to stay with Usk, no doubt come up with a costing for the work. Once that has happened we can all see the scale of what is involved. I`m not being unkind, nor am I even remotely unsympathetic , quite the reverse, but as Carl knows better than most , wooden boats in need of such very major work are not to be taken lightly. A tenner each would raise funds yes - but it`s far more difficult than that and Carl would , I know, only want to get involved with othr enthusiast money after much careful thought.

Cheers

Phil

No doubt when they catch the culprits, they will claim they come from a broken home or have mental health problems or the council doesn't provide anywhere for them to play and they will get away effectively scot-free due to the rampant bleeding-heart liberal culture in this country. In reality they should be bayonetted........... and the bleeding-heart liberals.

Genghis Khan

I'd just spent a pleasant day in Matlock Bath, when, as we were setting off for home, my friend rang to tell me that Usk was very much alight and the fire brigade were on their way.

SNIP

As Usk's insurance only covers wreck salvage (sadly TPF&T wasn't an option), if she isn't taken on soon, by someone, my best option, financially and stress-wise, would be to strip out all her work boat bits (anyone know how much a josher day and main tank's worth?) and pass on the insurance details to BW.

There was a boat moored nearby whose owners saw the kids running away and gave a good description to the police so, hopefully, they'll be caught.

Carl I am so sorry to hear this news and for the terrible damage to Usk. Hope they catch the little barstewards.

D

As to a restoration fund , I don`t know - because I dont agree wth the figures. I know there are expensively restord historic boats out there that are not as good as they should be , at least one very famous one, but I was , and still am, a member of the organization that funded the replication using the original ironworks and the odd few bottom boards of Gifford( and that`s more or less what we`re talking about in all probability) and it cost a damn site more than 25k. Even if the labour had come free of charge the timber bill would ( if I remember rightly) have exceeded that by a distance.

Hi Phil

A narrow boat (excluding bottoms) requires about 150 cubes of oak planks and shearing, plus the knees, if needed.

If you go to Barchards or Whitmores and pay top dollar, then you may spend about £8k on timber. I pay less than half of what they charge and use a merchant that doesn't say "we don't sell twisted planks".

Then there's spikes, maybe a grand (if I didn't already have them) Knee bolts, £500 or so (if I didn't already have them), oakum, £300 (sadly burnt to a crisp), Keys imperial no.1, priceless since the company closed (I've got a lifetimes supply), pitch (£200 max), tar £2-300, horse poo (free).

So, for around £12k you can get a hull kit (just add ironwork and bottoms).

Then you give your kit to a boat builder (or model maker), add a committee, stir in some pub lunch meetings, and the bill goes up to 97k , or 55k, or 70k depending which trustee you trust to give you the figures.

Hardy's hull cost £26k to rebuild, including labour (and JP2), other than the owner's.

I don't know where the charitys get their numbers from, but it usually isn't planet earth.

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps it is a sign of getting old and intolerant but....last week I was in Ikea and was behind a women and her son on one of the long airport style travellators

He was merrily scratching his name into the rubber bannister with a pair of compassess. I just said 'do you think it is appropriate to vandalise the escalator like that' and was met with a torrent of abuse from his mother (without her even looking at what the little git had done) along the lines of :

- he is only 14 (ok so when he mugs an old lady will it be fine because he is 'only 23')

- weren't you ever a child

- I'm a sad old man apparantly.

Not a huge surprise on that basis that he had no respect for property. Made me wonder why I bothered but glad all the same I did.

A bit like also when we saw some kids stoning swans near Burnley on the L&L - suggested they stop stoning said swans. They did and stoned us including our 3 year old instead !