Glaze swan hatches - anyone used this company?

Featured Posts

Martin Kedian has a reputation for knowing what he is doing and being competent, which is more than can be said for a lot of traders! I have no personal experience and no idea whether his prices are competitive - but often cheapest is not the best idea in this game! He posts on here sometimes.

10 minutes ago, MtB said:

What's a swan hatch? 

A term I've never heard in 45 years of boating! 

Me neither, but I guess it’s a hatch for feeding swans out of. Or perhaps so the swans can get into the boat to eat your lunch. Or maybe it’s a hatch made from recycled swans? A bit like a swan’s neck is made from swans’ necks.

Or maybe the swans got jealous of the pigeons who have their own box on boats, and demanded swan hatches under the Equalities Act?

Edited by nicknorman

13 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

A bit like a swan’s neck is made from swans’ necks.

I am reasonably sure they are not. When I painted mine a few years ago, I think the feathers would have soaked up too much paint and I'd have noticed. I think mine is made out of a large letter "Z" someone had lying around.

I really like the term "swan hatch" for the side hatches. I think Rob may have coined a new term which catches on!!  

Edited by MtB
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, MtB said:

What's a swan hatch? 

A term I've never heard in 45 years of boating! 

Its a term made popular by those YouTube types, they always refer to them as Swan or Duck Hatches in vlogs whilst waxing lyrical about how lovely everything is ;) 

When I was getting quotes for a newbuild narrowboat at the start of this year, most builders took "side hatch" to mean doors with a sliding or hinged top section of deck above:
hatch.jpg.1fcbb0f9165fe67c900f50e4f9e12375.jpg

(More complicated to glaze above this type, obviously.)

When I clarified what I wanted, they told me the objects in question are referred to as side doors.

Incidentally, I copied the photo from this thread on the forum: